First the introduction. I'm Ryan new to UG and I have been playing guitar for about 2-4 years. But until I listened to the works of Neil Zaza, I never bothered with learning notes, chords, modes, scales, theory, etc. So I went to the local bookstore and picked me up Guitar for dummies. Just something I could learn the basics from you know? Already having my doublepicking, posture, note reading, skills I just needed to learn the needy greedy . So After reading the book and having some unanswered questions I thought I would post them here

First Question. The "key" The key of A,D,G,C. Is there more keys? Or is there only 4 in the history of guitar? 2nd. How do I determine what chords/notes are in which key? It only says in the book, that the reason they are together within the keys is because they sound good together.

2nd. Minor. I understand the concept of minor I just don't know how to fully fufill it
here you have the E chord. Now to make it minor you drop that G string down 1/2 a step correct? So it will look like this. Why do you only move the G string down? And not the rest of the strings? Its a Em, not a E(g)m? hehe I don't understand why you only move the G string down a 1/2 step only. Shouldn't all the notes be moved down a step since its Em, the whole chord being E, I don't know explain please
------0------- ------0-------
------1------- E ------0-------Em
------2------- ------2-------
------2------- ------2-------

In the book it dosen't clearly explain the dominant/minor/major 7th chords.
Just says something about 5th degree if a major scale! I don't know what that means =/ please explain this too.

I'm sure Ill be back to post more questions. This is just a little need to know for as of now please get back to me and help me become a better guitarist!! Thanks UG!
because the Emajor chord is made up of from the notes from the Emajor scale and the Eminor chord from the Eminor scale
question 1. there are 24 keys, though only 12 different ones (i would explain but you would probably be a bit overwhelmed).

question 2. you can tell whether a chord is in a scale because the individual notes making up that chord happen to be in a scale.

question 3 (i think you meant 3 anyway). In the example you gave, you only drop the G string down because for the basic e chord the note on the g string is the third. basic guitar chords (E, A, D) are just plain triads, where there is 1 3rd (the note in the triad that determines whether it is minor or major) and changing the 3rd will make the entire chord different. the other notes in a triad are the root (1st) and the 5th. The root is the note that makes a chord what it is, so if the root of a chord is for example e, the chord will be an e chord. simple, eh?

the 5th in an e chord is a b. in your basic e chord (0 2 2 1 0 0) the b is both the 2nd fret of the a string and the open b string.

hope that cleared up a few things for you, but if you have any more questions please ask.
Quote by T.S.R.
what?
if i were a midget...id go masturbate in public because...hey, im a midget and i can get away with anything

Quote by yawn
I heard Hitler was a pretty good guitarist back in his day...

Quote by guitar?
You're a towel.
Last edited by les_paul_01 at Jun 25, 2006,
A major chord consists of a Root, a 3rd and a fifth. AKA

1 3 5

A minor chord consists of a Root, a flatted third, and a fifth. AKA

1 b3 5

*MOVED*
So,
-----0----- =
-----0----- |
-----1--3rd | Triad (E Chord)
-----2--5th |
-----2--1st |
-----0----- = ? how do I determine which ones are the 3rd,5th,1st to which notes?
Quote by rockadome
So,
-----0----- =
-----0----- |
-----1--3rd | Triad (E Chord)
-----2--5th |
-----2--1st |
-----0----- = ? how do I determine which ones are the 3rd,5th,1st to which notes?

That should be...

|--0--| 
|--0--|
|--1--| [B]3rd.[/B] [I](G#)[/I]
|--2--| [B]1st. [/B][I](E)[/I]
|--2--| [B]5th.[/B] [I](B)[/I]
|--0--|

You look at the corresponding major scale. You're playing E major, so let's take a look at the E major scale.

E - F# - G# - A - B - C# - D# - E.

You take the 1st, 3rd and 5th interval of the major scale to determine your triad - for E major, those notes are E(1st) - G#(3rd) & B(5th)