I recently asked about an engl screamer combo, and liked what i heard. However the pricetag on its gonna take me a while to save up for. Iv seen a lot of used jcm 900 heads and combos on ebay, ranging from £250-£500. How are these at handling metal?
I understand i might need to use an OD pedal infront of it to get the higher gain stuff, but how does it compare to the engl?

Thanks
New tracks on my profile! Please check them out and see what you think!
Im not sure how it compares with the ENGL...but the JCM900s are awesome. I own one and its amazing. You can get really nice cleans, crunch like an 800, but really modern sounds from it. And with the help of an OD you can get brutal high gain stuff too. Also, you can switch between 50 and 100watts witch come in handy for different sounds (50=thing classic rock stuff. 100=think modern stuff). The reverb sounds great on it too. hmm what else...the effects loop is good sounding...blah blah...its a good amp!
well for the prices on ebay, that sounds like a damn good deal
Any other opinions?
^ Its a REALLY good deal. And its worth the money to retube it with high gain tubes (well i did at least) because then it makes it sound all the more better.
cool i might go for it then
Try one out before you buy dammit.

Go to a shop and try out any kind of JCM900 to get the feel for them.
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
Quote by R_H_C_P
Try one out before you buy dammit.

Go to a shop and try out any kind of JCM900 to get the feel for them.

of course. lol TS dont spend cash anything without trying it first.
trying before u buy is a bit of a no - brainer
^True, but a hell of a lot of people think "Wow, this amazing Marshall MG has good reviews, I know! I'll buy blindly."
Don't be afraid to care"

ENGL Screamer> JCM 900... sad but true the ENGL will rape the JCM 900 its overall a better amp save up the extra for a ENGL..
^ Exactly. People come into my work all the time and go "how does this sound" and I go "...umm..good?" and they go "k, ill get that then".
Quote by Iliketapping
ENGL Screamer> JCM 900... sad but true the ENGL will rape the JCM 900 its overall a better amp save up the extra for a ENGL..

thats all preference of course.
next time im up london, ill try em both out. They both seem to be good versatile amps, but i can get the jcm a lot cheaper than the engl.
If you've got the money for the ENGL or can get it soon, go for it, if you'll be overjoyed with it, but if you're on a budget and like how the JCM900 sounds, go for that.
Don't be afraid to care"

Thanks for the help guys, as i said earlier ill try em out next time im up london, and see what i think.