So, I've been playing a while, just got a job, and finished school for the summer because of my exams. So i have spare time and money.
So, I've decided to make myself a guitar, because of those reasons, and I've always wanted to do it.
Here is a picture of the design.

So, the specs and stuff.
Body - this I got from eBay, it is a standard strat shape, I know nothing of wood, but it is quite a light coloured one.
Neck - this is taken from a washburn wizard and comes with a floyd rose locking nut.
Those are the parts I have, the parts I'm getting are.
Scratchplate - 2 ply HH black.
Pick ups - Swineshead Venoms
Pots - 500k
Capacitor - 0.001 orange drop
Switch - Standard three way
I don't know what other specs yet, I hadn't really thought, I only need like the tuning pegs and jack plate specs, but I have only looked at electronics and jazz like that.
So, that's my idea, hopefully this will work.
.....Glow In The Dark Condoms.....Rise And Shine....
does your neck fit onto the body. also will you be fitting a floyd rose or will the locking nut not be put to use
So, last night I sanded down the body and primed it.
Here are some pictures!

Here is one of the two or so runs (gggrrrr)
My dad said just sand them with very light sand paper, good idea?

Then here, I sanded down to the wood, and it is a lot brighter.....

So, I'm quite happy with my first time of painting lol
Yeah, neck fits, didn't fit perfectly at first, but I've sanded the pocket out abit, and it's fine now.
I'm just using the nut part of it, why, won't that work well?
well it would seem a bit pointless to just have a locking nut and use it for a normal strat trem
Really?
I've seen them just on the nut.
Surely it just keeps the strings in, because they aren't going to move much on the bridge.....bu the tuning pegs may move....
Aaawww, you must talk sense if you have that name!
Oh right, I thought that the locking nut would work, just not as well as nut and bridge......but am I wrong?
I had it in my mind that this would stop the tuning pegs turning slightly, and just keep the strings in tune, but do you need a locking bridge AND nut to get any benefit out of it?
Phil
yep but you can still keep it on if you feel like it cos if you remove it theres going to be a chunk of wood missing from your fretboard. the nut could work but i dont see major improvement with it on unless you got a real ****ty trem.
Lol Phil, you finally started your build....i finished mine yesterday, mines in working order now...

By the pics your wood looks as if Maple

Good luck

The fr locking nut will work as just a nut, its a good idea if you have a cheap tremolo..
Aaaww, interesting, yeah, it won't be a really good trem, but it won't be a rubbish one :P, may as well keep it on, looks cool lol, hahaha.
Yeah schecter-06, got it started, may take a while, whilst I save up for parts lol, I did some more painting today, and I've done my body and neck, so painting's done, lol.
Here is the body, a nice, slightly brighter than expected (Seat Red lol, and it is, held it against the Seat down the road, lol)

Here is the neck, complete with a cool headstock, that I'm really chuffed with, even though it bled/ran a little.

So, there you have, I'm really pleased so far, it's funthis building lark, lol
Phil
looks cool can, what kind of brdge are you gonig to use? and you tell me what kind of paint you used and the steps you went through to achive youre finish?
Member of the Metal Militia. PM Gibson_10 or AngelOfSorrow to join
Get some custom star shaped inlays done (or attempt them yourself) to continue the theme
looking really good, you wouldn't happen to like darts would you? with your name being phil, and yourusername being 'the power' i instantly thought Phil 'The Power' Taylor.

but yea, its looking really nice, do you know what pickups etc. you're going to use?
Quote by TehJermie
you can get that toneblaster stack at the cost of your dignity.

Quote by silhouettica
fine, screw the cheese sandwich if you must...

Bridge, just a tremelo style one, not exactely sure yet, one on wd music for 37.50, i need a slightly compacted version than a normal strat one, because of the size of my guitar.
The painting, sanded my old body so it was rough, then smoothed it with some soft glasspaper.
Put on dupli-color white primer, about 3 coats, lafter a day, lightly sanded, very lightly.
Put on red dupli-color, and after 30 minutes put on some dupli-color clea lacquer....
I may sand it very lightly to get it uber smooth too.
With the neck, jsut sanded off the finish (that took a while) put on that headstock in CD marker pen and then coated with the same ceal lacquer.
That's my finish, next question lol.
Hhhmm, i don't trust myself with inlays, and if i do more work, i'll go dizzy and start seeing stars (god terrible there)
Pickups - a company called swineshead, they are awesome pickups, and good for the price, the venom ones.
'The Power' i used to be fat, and i was at my mate's watching the darts, and phil the power was on, and he jokingly said it, and it stuck, even when i got as skinny as i am now....(7 stone 10, and i'm six foot) but the name doesn't stick so much anymore!
Thanks for the compliments guys!
So, I'm looking at pickups and stuff.
I've found on eBay, a fully loaded Official Fender pickguard, it has the fender sticker and pickups are marked.
Originally I was going to get two swineshead pickups and then do all the electronics myself.
I want to know, which will sound better, then swineshead ones, or the fender ones, and what will the difference be?
Here is the link for the eBay ones (please don't buy them first, hahaha!
Ebay Thingy
Thanks in advance, Phil.
i imagine the swineheads will be better, fender make guitars not pickups if you catch my drift. but if your desperate to get the project finished the fully assembled pickguard would be best...or you could buy it and just replace the pickups with the swineheads.
in the thread on how to make a girl uncomfortable:

Quote by Angels Fighter
i saw this in another thread but it would work

Blow your load in your hand and slap the girl in the face while yelling "spiderman"

^
Yeah, I thought I could always change the pickups at a later date if I felt like it.
How much better would the swineshead ones be though?
Phil
never used swineheads but i imagine they'd be tons better. like i said fender make guitars not pickups specifically. it would depend on your financial situation. do you have the money to actually get the swineheads yet??. and how much does the complete pickguard cost?. might be worth buying the pichguard aswell as the pickups as then you can just swap them out without needing to make serious adjustments or starting again with the wiring.

in the thread on how to make a girl uncomfortable:

Quote by Angels Fighter
i saw this in another thread but it would work

Blow your load in your hand and slap the girl in the face while yelling "spiderman"

^
Well, the swinesheads would be £90, then if I got all the pickguard and wiring for them, it's an extra 40 or so, so, basically, it would be around 130.
The fender one is 80 all together.
What I think I will do is to get the fender one, then maybe one swineshead, save up, get the next.
Yeah, I was pretty sure they would be better, jsut didn't realise how much better, lol.
Thanks for the help, and thanks for compliments
Phil
Right, got everything other than pickups today.
I need a little help!
On the switch it has three contacts that can be selected and then one that is constantly connected (three way switch) and then the same on the other side of the switch.
Which is earth and which is out put and stuff?
Then on my jack plug, which is earth and which is signal in, i think earth is the on top sort of thing, connected to the tube part.
Pictures attached!
Thanks, Phil.

Will do!
I'll solder my parts tonight and then post some!
Lol, don't shout :$
Phil
So, I've been busy since last time.....
I have got a fair few things and put them on
Scratch plate, neck plate (neck's fitted on now), tremelo, tuning pegs, jack plate.
Then I have done all the wiring I can so far, so I've wired the capacitor, pots and switch together, and then I have soldered the wires to the jack, and they are ready to solder in place.
I have screws for the scracth plate on their way, because they weren't supplied with it lol, some more wire, and knobs, also my stars are on their way
So after that, I only need the pickups......which are rather expensive :|
Here are some pictures!

Phil
So, it's finished, all the electronics work, and everything like that.
Thing is......i put the strings on, and well, they touch all of the frets, I've raised the action at the bridge, and adjusted the truss rod as far as it will go (as it was bowed towards where the player's body would be). Yet still it won't fret properly, the very bottom is jsut okay, the middle is useless, and the end is okay-ish. Any suggestions?
Phil
Is it possible that the neck pocket had a shim originally? That might fallen out but didn't notice?

I'd put a guitar pick towards the edge of the neck pocket, away from the heel and see if that works ... assuming your bridge adjustment is maxed out AND your guitar nut is in good shape.

Good Luck!
You are some kind of legend!
My hat is so far off my head, it is, like, at the moon! lol, cheers man!
Phil
PS - I'll post finished [pictures and sound clips tomorrow!
hahahahaha. awesome, lol
So, it's finished!
I had a little bit of trouble with the electrics the first time, but i just rejigged my wiring from the switch and it was sorted.
Then I had the problem with my neck, I fixed it with a mixture of adjusting the truss rod, highering the bridge slightly, and putting heavier strings on, lol.
It's gorgeous to play, and I've just lowered the action a little more.
It sounds so very, very nice.
Hear are some pictures, I will get round to doing soundclips soon, honest.
Phil.

PS - those aren't really that great pictures....gggrrr. it's phitt though, trust me :P
How'd you get the stars on, I wasn't paying attention.
Quote by Pinky&The Brain

Brain
Are you pondering what I'm pondering pinky?

Pinky
I think so, Brain, but where would we buy rubber pants at this hour?
Cool, you should've mentioned that.

Look sweet, check out my build, it's in my sig

EDIT-Nevermind, I put my musicrivals thingy in there, I forgot I changed that today.(click it anyways)
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=396419
Quote by Pinky&The Brain

Brain
Are you pondering what I'm pondering pinky?

Pinky
I think so, Brain, but where would we buy rubber pants at this hour?
What did you use to sand it down?
Amp:
Fender Blues Jr (GH1230 Celestion Speaker)
Pedals
Barber DD
Wilson WH-10 Clone
Ibanez WH10 V2

Pitchblack Tuner
Boss DD-3
Guitars: 06' Custom Fender Strat Lindy Fralin Blues Specials, Callaham Tremolo
09' Olympic White Stratocaster
Glasspaper, and my own bare hands. lol