People say tube amps are nice because of the sweet overdrive,

if you don't want to turn the amp high enough to get the natural overdrive and you use an overdrive pedal like a tubescreamer or something,

will it

A) push the tube amp into overdrive, using a natural tube overdrive similar/same to when it happens naturally with the amp

or

B) create an artifical tone that doesn't sound like the natural breakup

Basically I mean this, with a pedal, does it (in A) do a real, authentic overdrive with your tube amp or does it (in B) make something fake/artificial
an overdrive pedal is GENERALY used to "boost" your amps gain, by pushing the pre amp tubes further, usualy at high volume. it's not artificial at all, because your just making your amp work more.
no its natural tube overdrive it a OD pedal is designed to push the tubes beyond the capability of the amp. usually they are used for solo boosts adda little gain and a little volume to get a louder gainier tone. or some ppl use them to get a metal tone such as zakk wylde uses his Boss OD pedal to make his JCM800 get a good metal tone
Member of UG's Gain \/\/hores - pm gpderek09 to join
no its not artifivial tone its a natural tone its just your normal tube amp tone just drivin a little harder
Member of UG's Gain \/\/hores - pm gpderek09 to join
lets put it this way -

overdrive = cameron diaz
distortion or modeller = pete burns.

catch my drift?
An overdrive pedal just pushes the pre/power amp valves harder than usual, for gain/volume boosts and so on.

And it'd be artificial if it was an overdrive pedal simulating that sound on a solid state amp or something.
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
Quote by GnRRockingaway
lets put it this way -

overdrive = cameron diaz
distortion or modeller = pete burns.

catch my drift?

or better yet

Overdrive in a tube amp:

Distortion in a tube amp:
Quote by Gutch220
or better yet

Depends on what you're going for.

tube amps = in any case

you just might be playing noise rock and have 3 different EHX Big Muffs on your pedalboard
Quote by Gutch220
so your saying you like Fez? *walks away covering ears.. La la la lal la*

^^

EDIT: hey gutch, its not hard to find gay people around these days

Quote by Gutch220
or better yet

Overdrive in a tube amp:

Distortion in a tube amp:

aww man, I wish I could sig that
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
Last edited by aznrockerdude at Jun 25, 2006,
^ oh how UG affects peoples minds...... anyone who reads this in a hurry's gonna come out thinking distortion pedals bugger your tube amp up the ass.......
what happens if that 70's show sucks?

seriously, though, to cut a swathe through the misinformation that's being posted all over UG of late:

distortion pedals sound fine through tube amps. They don't sound as natural, but maybe that's the tone you're after.

Overdrive pedals, depending how they're set up, can EITHER naturally overdrive the preamp tubes, or make their own overdrive. If you set the level high, and the gain/drive low on the pedal, it'll be mostly natural pre-amp tube overdrive you're getting. In effect, you're just boosting your signal. There'll still be a little dirt coming from the pedal though, and the pedal's tone will affect your sound too.

Conversely, if you set the pedal's gain/drive high, and level/volume low, it'll be mostly pedal overdrive.

You can make the same distinction with distortion pedals (i.e. level high and dist. low on the pedal sounds more natural) but it still won't sound just as natural as an overdrive pedal.

And finally, if you ONLY want natural tube breakup, you want a clean boost pedal like an HBE dos mos. It won't affect your amp tone at all, and will only add gain. You better like your amp tone, though!

also, another thing to remember is that if your amp has a master volume (hint: unless it's a vintage amp, or an amp modelled on a vintage amp, it probably has a master volume (also called a pre-amp gain control)) you will be able to get overdrive at all volumes. You may not even need an overdrive pedal.

Sheesh!

I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
What would we do without you Dave?
- Gibson Les Paul Studio
- Squier Standard Strat
- Roland Cube 60
- Visual Sound Jekyll & Hyde
- Boss OD-3
- Behringer EQ700
^

I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
what happens if that 70's show sucks?

i was mainly going for the attractiveness of each of them, not so much the show itself.
^ i know. But i just wanted to make clear that "that 70's show" sucks ass. and that I was in no way endorsing it, lol.

Mila Kunis is hot.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Davey, where have you beem? We missed you.. we could barely beat back all the misinformed noobs *cries on dave's shoulder*
^ I've been around, I've just cut back from posting 6 billion posts per day. For obvious reasons...
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?