not for a primary guitar (I already have an AmSe Strat), but as a casual, humbucker, distorted song guitar..

for example, Born To Be Wild

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Epiphone-Les-Paul-Special-II-Electric-Guitar?sku=518334

I saw this exact same model on a guitar lesson On Demand with Tommy Anthony and it really sounded nice. I'm surprised it sounded so good for the price.

Will the fret ends likely be sharp and stick out? Can you just sand those down?
too expensive

I don't need it to SOUND anything better than what I've heard already..
what else could be wrong with it?

Fret ends? Easy to file down right?

give it a good setup?
Quote by Weybl Himself
Well if you don't want the guitar to sound any good, the Special II is perfect, it sounds awful.

haha

Why not get a used Standard Epi?
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
I've got nothing against Epis, I use a Les Paul 100 for any drop-D song live (but for the record my guitar sound is dependant on some rather heavy processing so I can make an average guitar sound good). The lp100 hasn't let me down yet, it just doesn't hold tune as well as I like but nothing majorly wrong with it, the stock pups cut it live (not in the studio, I really need to buy my usual PAF Pro for the bridge for it to be used there) but it's a solid mahogany body with an alder top, mahogany neck and rosewood fingerboard and aint too shabby for what you'll pay. I'd opt towards the lp100 over the special II, there is a huge sound difference for not a huge price jump.
Or threadstarter, you could go and play one and see what you think?
Don't be afraid to care"

Yeah the special II is poop. It was my starter guitar, and i hated it. But if you would like to waste $150, then its perfect for ya.

You should get an agile, 3000 series or better. You might actually like that guitar.
^That's a brilliant suggestion actually, if he can get hold of one that is...
Don't be afraid to care"

Quote by R_H_C_P
^That's a brilliant suggestion actually, if he can get hold of one that is...

...Thanks man.

You can find them at www.rondomusic.net, but the shipping might kill ya.
Never but an epiphone special, thats probably the lowest common denominator in LPs. I'd say get an agile, or spend a bit more money and get a gibson LP special.
Dickless.
my suggestion

the agiles 3000 or up

or... an epi standard plain top
Gear:
PRS Custom SE
Shit Strat
line6 spider II 112 (worst choice of my life)
Squier 10 watt (sounds better than the spider)
Digitech rp200
Rocktron Silver Dragon

Quote by FretboardToAsh
he's right, and he plays prs so that's proof.
To the threadstarter, your saying that the guitar sounded great in the lesson you were watching but the amp contributes more to the tone than the guitar does. If you bought this guitar you won't get the tone you wanted unless you have the same amp that was used in the Tommy Anthony lesson.
Quote by MetalMilitia212
Never but an epiphone special, thats probably the lowest common denominator in LPs. I'd say get an agile, or spend a bit more money and get a gibson LP special.

Even the lower gibsons are pretty bad, and way over priced. I'd stay away from the low end gibsons and the low end epiphones. But the Epi plain top isnt a bad idea if it's in your price range.
Quote by o_effing_plud
Yeah the special II is poop. It was my starter guitar, and i hated it. But if you would like to waste $150, then its perfect for ya.

You should get an agile, 3000 series or better. You might actually like that guitar.

He would have hard time getting one in anything other then goldtop untill this fall.
Quote by Weybl Himself
Well if you don't want the guitar to sound any good, the Special II is perfect, it sounds awful.

From what I heard it sounded fine for distorted rock like born to be wild as an example. I don't need it to be a tone quality guitar, I already have one for that

I just want something with humbuckers and a little edge
Quote by your_mom1992
To the threadstarter, your saying that the guitar sounded great in the lesson you were watching but the amp contributes more to the tone than the guitar does. If you bought this guitar you won't get the tone you wanted unless you have the same amp that was used in the Tommy Anthony lesson.

I'll have a nice tube amp, like a Fender Twin or Hot Rod something of the such eventually, so that doesn't matter
The quilt tops are on sale for really cheap on MF right now.
Quote by thefoldarsoldar
you sir, are funny as hell.

Follower of the Church of Gilmour, PM happytimeharry to join
I'm not gonna buy it anytime soon
but I just tried it and to my surprise it didn't even have bad fret ends
The sound just has no character, it's incredibly bland to the point where absolutely nothing at all jumps out, no mid presence, not warm bottom end, no sparkling highs, just muddy crap.
Quote by Weybl Himself
The sound just has no character, it's incredibly bland to the point where absolutely nothing at all jumps out, no mid presence, not warm bottom end, no sparkling highs, just muddy crap.

no set neck just a bolt on also doesnt look like a real LP
Quote by azn_guitarist25
no set neck just a bolt on also doesnt look like a real LP

one of the better features then lol
Dude, why are you asking us? You arent even paying attention to our answers, dont mind us dude, were just a forum trying to help.

Go buy that guitar, but ill go ahead and foreworn you, which i even shoudlnt, but its gonna be ****e. Remmber your getting a guitar for 150, so dont expect much.

You DONT need humbuckers to a do a HUMBUCKER song.... It will sound slightly different, WHO CARES.

Why dont you get a Single coil HUMBUCKER and put in your strat. That will sound way better, and cheaper. You will still have 2 single coils, but now you basically have a fat strat.

At this rate, it seems you just want 2 guitars for the hell of it, you think its going to make you cool or something? Make you seem less noob? I dont know what to think of you DM, you make no sense alot of times and you make threads and dont acknowledge the people helping you.....
RIG
Jackson SL3 Soloist
89' Ibanez RG570
Vader 4x12 Cabinet
Line 6 HD147 Head
6space HEAD/RACK case
Korg DTR1000 Rack Tuner
Furman Power Conditioner
ISP Decimator
i have played that guitar...

and it is brutal beyond belief

look into a schecter omen 6
Quote by R_H_C_P
You're joking right?

It's like comparing sex to sticking your penis in a blender.