Page 1 of 2
i know "everyone learnsat different paces"....BUT i was wondering what sort of things i should be able to manage at the stage im at.

Now, i've had my guitar for about 18months. i played it once i first got it, but then stopped lol. so ive only really been playing for the past 3/4 months.

anyone else whos been playing this long, please reply and talk about what you're currently doing please.(oh, and if you're a guitar genius or have been playing longer, just try to give me some advice!

i play mostly metal but i like some punk too lol(bit of blink here and there, no bashing please!)

cheers guys.
blink sucks moose ****...but seriously...at 3/4 months i was just learning intros to other peoples songs...(i.e Seven nation ARmy, Crazy Train, Jingle Bells)...just easy stuff to get your fingers used to playing guitar, and to get more controll over them..then i started expanding my mind into the heavy metal seen after learning some somng by Sum 41 (no im not saying they are heavy metal)
Quote by Johnljones7443
Brad, you smell.

Quote by Slash_HuDsOn
brad you smell like my hairy left nut

try some Fear Factory for training and fade to black first solo thats should do it
Quote by The_Hell_Patrol
blink sucks moose ****...but seriously...at 3/4 months i was just learning intros to other peoples songs...(i.e Seven nation ARmy, Crazy Train, Jingle Bells)...just easy stuff to get your fingers used to playing guitar, and to get more controll over them..then i started expanding my mind into the heavy metal seen after learning some somng by Sum 41 (no im not saying they are heavy metal)

ive been doing a bunch of metallica intros(my fav band) and can do a good chunk of seek and destroy also(by metallica incase for some reason you didn't know lol)

although i am told that metallica perhaps isnt the best option for a beginner?
Quote by ST-XeMo
try some Fear Factory for training and fade to black first solo thats should do it

* put fade to black solo on his list *
Everyone knows Seek and Destroy is by Metallica...
Anyways try learning the Sweet Child O' Mine intro. If you can learn that you will be fine. It requires a lot of finger movement and sets you in the right direction later for arpeggios and solos.

2001 Fender MIM Stratocaster
1987 Fender F-210 Acoustic
Partscaster (in progress)

Traynor YCV40
Ibanez TS-9
Ibanez AD-9
MXR M-108
EHX Metal Muff
Boss NS-2

WTB:
Boss TU-2 Chromatic Tuner

Follow me on Twitter!
Quote by yellowlizard
ive been doing a bunch of metallica intros(my fav band) and can do a good chunk of seek and destroy also(by metallica incase for some reason you didn't know lol)

although i am told that metallica perhaps isnt the best option for a beginner?

well you would think metallica are all "liek hXc Fo KIRK" but they arent that hard...learn seek and destroy, jump in the fire, the one intro solo, fade to black intro solo...they have lots of easy rifss that are very catchy and fun to play...seek and destroy was my first full song i ever learned...i learned it like...uhhh...i dunno...i was still a n00b to playing...it snot a hard song at all (i didnt learn the solo though...i like making up my own)...just learn whatever you think sounds good and whatever you like to play, and every once in awhile throw in a challenging riff in there or something
Quote by Johnljones7443
Brad, you smell.

Quote by Slash_HuDsOn
brad you smell like my hairy left nut

It may not be your thing...but i really advice learning atleast some basic chords and scales and the theory behind scales..go for something easy like twelve bar blues. You may hate it but it will help you alot as you progress..atleast have a slight knowledge of scales and chords is pretty much a must at this stage.

I would advise learning some simple Hendrix Also, Wind Cries Mary, Little Wing and the solos for these songs..They are'nt too fast...but they'll help your fingering a hell of alot.

And something which you'll probably enjoy more: Try some Rage Against The Machine.

Hope any of this helped
Last edited by Will_Gum at Jun 25, 2006,
Quote by Will_Gum
It may not be your thing...but i really advice learning atleast some basic chords and scales and the theory behind scales..go for something easy like twelve bar blues. You may hate it but it will help you alot as you progress..atleast have a slight knowledge of scales and chords is pretty much a must at this stage.

I would advise learning some simple Hendrix Also, Wind Cries Mary, Little Wing and the solos for these songs..They are'nt too fast...but they'll help your fingering a hell of alot.

And something which you'll probably enjoy more: Try some Rage Against The Machine.

Hope any of this helped

how do i go about learning these chords and scales? please dont say lessons lol..
Quote by Mike1109
Everyone knows Seek and Destroy is by Metallica...
Anyways try learning the Sweet Child O' Mine intro. If you can learn that you will be fine. It requires a lot of finger movement and sets you in the right direction later for arpeggios and solos.

im just saying for the people (if there are any) who didnt know that.
and yeah, funny enough i was just looking at sweet child o' mine a couple of days ago lol!
and when you learn a song keep practicing it so you can play it perfectly clean note for note, get all the bends at exactly the right pitch, dig into your vibratos etc, really learn the song, dont just "learn" the song. practice it until you can actually say "yeah i can actually play this song as good as the original guy" :] it well help a lot with improving your technique, which... you want to do right?
Metallica's 'Welcome Home (Sanitarium)' has some simpler solos in it
theyre really easy to learn just by learning to play'em slow than speed up to the actual speed
it should take nearly no-time
Quote by OneLastSaluteFW
Metallica's 'Welcome Home (Sanitarium)' has some simpler solos in it
theyre really easy to learn just by learning to play'em slow than speed up to the actual speed
it should take nearly no-time

just tried that after you suggesting it and you're rght, the first one isnt too bad, it sounded quite good actually!
just have to build it up to speed, i say three days tops
For straight practice, I have a loose routine I (usually) follow. I start with chords, then barre chords, then pentatonic minor up and down the neck. After this, I do a chromatic exercise to loosen up a bit more and get my pinky involved. Usually this is good enough to synch my hands and loosen me up.

For songs, I'm working on a lot right now, mostly Sabbath and Metallica. Sanitarium is an easy song, but I'm still trying to get it clean and solid. Sabbath stuff is incredibly simple but harder than it looks to make it solid.

edit: I've been playing for a year and a half on and off.
Rig

Jackson DK2M -> ISP Decimator -> Peavey 6505 Combo
Quote by jpetrucci5655
3/4 months i was soloing. not like beck or yngwie, but like, slash ,page, hammet, rhoads

just trying to make him feel as bad about himself as possible eh?

anyway, try the song dying in your arms by trivium (except solo, thats some tough ****) It's got 2 main riffs, a fast one, palm muted, and simple chords. I learned to do all those things from that one song, not to mention that people think your awesome if you can play it.
Dickless.
Quote by MetalMilitia212

anyway, try the song dying in your arms by trivium (except solo, thats some tough ****) It's got 2 main riffs, a fast one, palm muted, and simple chords. I learned to do all those things from that one song, not to mention that people think your awesome if you can play it.

lol that just so happens to be like the only trivium song i like lol!

and i wasn't gonna say anything but the other guys comment lol.........
Don't worry what level you are at, like you said, everyone does progress at different levels. (one of my friends has been playing since two christmases ago, and he can barely play american idiot)

Anyway, I've been playing for about 11 months, and I just learned Purple Haze, and i'm working on Eyes of a Stranger by Queensryche.

i do think learning songs is important, but make sure to spend a lot of time working on improv.
This would be a great time to learn some scales and improvising

then work on learning the barre chords THOUGHROUGHLY
Quote by MetalMilitia212

im just stating what i was playing at 3/4 months. i'm not gonna lie. i got good fast.
sorry why are we hatin people lol, twas a joke!
well he wasnt jokin..he's just really good lol
Quote by yellowlizard
sorry why are we hatin people lol, twas a joke!
well he wasnt jokin..he's just really good lol

lol, i wasn't joking, but just because i got to the level i'm at fast, doesn't mean anything.

as said ppl evolve at different speeds. it's not like i'm great or anything, but i'm just saying that for having played 4-5 months, i was pretty good.
it's not really how many months/years you've been playing, it's the amount of practice. so, if you practice many hours a day, it's not unexpected to be able to play well in 3 or 4 months.
4 hours a day for about 8 months, then came summer, so thats 12 hours a day. then i toned it down to 2 hours when school started again. and now, about 3 hours a day.

try that
because i have only a crappy computer mic, and im leaving for LA to see my dad at 5 AM tomorow.

i will also be selling my guitar and not have one for 2 months until i make my custom one.
Quote by jpetrucci5655
because i have only a crappy computer mic, and im leaving for LA to see my dad at 5 AM tomorow.

i will also be selling my guitar and not have one for 2 months until i make my custom one.

I'm sure a majority of us can hear through the bad tone and judge your technique. When you get back from your visit, post a recording. I would like nothing more than to be inspired by such a story but until then, I'm going to leave it to fiction.
Schecter C-1 Classic (Antique Amber)
Ibanez JEM 7VWH
Crate Palamino Class A tube combo
Digitech RP80 Multieffects pedal
Ibanez TS9 DX Tube Screamer
okay, sure.i'll record something whenever i get back.

will this thread still be up in 2-3 months or would i have to make a new one?
Quote by jpetrucci5655
okay, sure.i'll record something whenever i get back.

will this thread still be up in 2-3 months or would i have to make a new one?

Then record something now - you have time to post on a chat board, then you should have time to record a riff and post it
Ibanez JEM 7VWH
its 9:30 pm here, i have to be up for a plane that leaves at 5 am.

i don't have the time to get everything ready and all. maybe after i get done packing i'll record something.
I wasn't going to say anything more, but....

I have seen many many grandiose claims made around here, and yet not one,
not a SINGLE one, has been backed up by anything that we can listen to. Talk
is cheap. Let your playing do the talking.

In 2-3 months time, this thread will be forgotten and it's not like we're all sitting
around waiting to be amazed. So, don't worry about it.

Just stuff to consider....
edg > you because he has recordings
Quote by BigFatSandwich
it took you 15 consecutive hours of practice to realize that playing guitar makes you better at playing guitar. congratulations.

Quote by Sharp_as_steel
Axe_grinder pwns!!!!

Member #2 of the "Official UG Teabaggers' Cult". PM Slayer224 to join.
omg i didn't say i was an amazing guitar player. im just saying i can hold my own.

you shuold get some serious reading skills before moving on with your life.
Quote by jpetrucci5655
its 9:30 pm here, i have to be up for a plane that leaves at 5 am.

i don't have the time to get everything ready and all. maybe after i get done packing i'll record something.

You have more excuses then Slash has Les Pauls

Quote by edg
In 2-3 months time, this thread will be forgotten and it's not like we're all sitting around waiting to be amazed. So, don't worry about it.

I'm somewhat interested, it's a feat I attempted but failed.
Ibanez JEM 7VWH
Last edited by Bazilisck311 at Jun 28, 2006,
Page 1 of 2