Les Claypool built what he calls a whamola. If you haven't heard of it, its a one string tick like thing with a lever that adjusts pitch, and you play it with a drumstick. Anyway, my drummer is a huge claypool fan, and he decided that he wants to challenge me to a whamola building contest. Any tips on good design or anything (if you already built one) would be greatly appreciated. (The contest is for 50 bucks, so i need to make it good)
Hahaha, It will probably cst more than $50 to make it! You need tools, wood, and other stuff! What I woudl suggest though is to save mutual money, you both buy a set of P type pickups, and you both take one of the coils.

I think this is the first attempt on this fourm to make a whamola! Post pics please!
[quote="I think this is the first attempt on this fourm to make a whamola! Post pics please! [/QUOTE"]

Haha, I was trying so hard not to bring up old posts. Wow, yeah i'll get some pics of the finished product.
whamola!?!? *rushes to google...., sees a bar with a string*

i found something, a clip of what a whamola sounds like. It kinda sounds like a didgeridoo on drugs..
>Whamola<
And what is more, there's been a bloody purple nose and some bloody purple clothes that were messing up the lobby floor. It's just apartment house rules so all you 'partment fools remember : one man's ceiling is another man's floor.
OMG 16.5 mb for a bad recording which is 53 seconds long? What a waste!
EH

"Show me war; show me pestilence; show me the blood-red hands of retribution..."
Quote by eddiehimself
OMG 16.5 mb for a bad recording which is 53 seconds long? What a waste!

the things you do for whamola
And what is more, there's been a bloody purple nose and some bloody purple clothes that were messing up the lobby floor. It's just apartment house rules so all you 'partment fools remember : one man's ceiling is another man's floor.
BAHA i have 4 whamolas built already and another im builiding this weekend
wow its the easiest project ever costs like 10 bucks for the wood and about 50 for the hardware/elctronics....PM me and ill send you some pics and plans
BURY YOUR DEADALIVE!
why don't you post pics and plans on the forum? i'm sure everyone wants to see them...

Quote by robbo_0013
UniverseZero is some kind of pwnerer of numerals

Quote by spazzymagee417
your avatar entertains me.
http://img108.exs.cx/img108/4053/ericswhamola28ht.jpg

http://img108.exs.cx/img108/6295/ericswhamola38fa.jpg

Materials
6? tall wood post
5cm by 5cm
Right-angle bracket
Bass Pickup
Volume control (optional)
Input Jack
Upright bass D-string
Wooden lever
3cm diameter pulley
Bass Tuning Key
4? tapered fret board (optional)
Nuts and Bolts
Screws
Drumstick(s)

Tools
Saw
Drill
Soldering Gun
Glue
Sand Paper
Screwdriver

sorry..i nodnt know how to insert images off microsoft word so you cant see my best pic...tell me how and ill [post it
BURY YOUR DEADALIVE!
try copying the pic, pasting it into paint, save it, then just get a site to host it, like photobucket or onfinite.
www.myspace.com/theflyingelderly
We're Progressive Funk Rock (Frog Rock)

Founding Member of the Vermont Cult
PM Me to join

Quote by magnus_maximus
MAD should do its job and it'll all be hunky-dory.
I've built one, cost me about 90 bucks, but it was totally worth it, sounds crazy when put through a lot of distortion and different effects. Mine is made of wood with metal backing and i use an E electric bass string, although i think you are supposed to use an upright bass or cello string, but I'm thinking of putting a low B on there. I'll post pics when I find my camera. BTW the pickups cost $60 so forget about having it be under $50.
ahah i got a pickup for 27 bucks EMG too, its probly a cheap lookalike but its only A whamola
BURY YOUR DEADALIVE!
I'm still waiting for a pic =D
If I get some time, I might make one of those on the weekend. Sounds like a kinda cool project...
"Everybody, one day will die and be forgotten. Act and behave in a way that will make life interesting and fun. Find a passion, form relationships, don't be afraid to get out there and fuck what everyone else thinks."