Page 1 of 2
I have been giving it some more thought and I am leaning more towards a SS half stack now. It is just for me playing in my garage and I am a newbie so honestly I do not really think that I will miss (or appreciate) the tube tone. Please do not flame me on this. I would rather buy a top end ss half stack than a low end tube half stack. Makes sense! Anyway I want something that has good quality built in effects, celestion speakers in the cab and at least 100 watts. I already know that the marshall mg's and crate are crap so they are off the list. Other choices may include b52, kustom or line 6. I like metal mostly and price is no problem.Thanks in advance for your KIND replies.
you probably wont need a halfstack. u know, 2x12's can get pretty loud
My Gear:
Fender Standard Strat w/Tex-mex pups
Epi Les Paul Jr.
Epi MM-20 mandolin
Yamaha FG-110
Boss SD-1
Boss BD-2
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Digitech RP80
Fender FM212R
Epi Valve Junior

Check Me Out:
Me
I wouldn't say that top end SS and low end tubes overlap. . .

I would go for used tube. . .

But suit yourself. . . The line 6 will get you flamed. . .
Gibson SG Standard
Fender 52 RI Telecaster
'77 Deluxe Reverb
Sunface w/ SunDial
MXR Carbon Copy
Crybaby

Quote by Sid McCall
Epic win. He speaks the truth, boys and girls.

Founder of the Neutral Milk Hotel club PM to join~
Why a halfstack? And why a solid state half stack?
A valve halfstack or combo (despite if it's lower end) will sound better.

Go and play a load of nice valve combos, and then compare them to some SS half stacks, see what you think.
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
even low end tube-amps sound soo much better. I say.... get a nice tube combo off eBay. maybe a 30-50 watt 2x12 or 1x12. It will sound better, be louder, easier to lug around, and will last you forever where as with a solid state amp, you will grow tired of it. there are lots of inexpensive tube amps on eBay.
^Exactly.
Don't be afraid to care"

So you know Mg's and crates are crap, but GO LINE SPIDER 6 II. Seriously if you know that your a newbie then why dont you listen to some people that know something instead of wasting your money, "Makes sense!". And dont buy an amp just because it has a ton of effects, it's a marketing scheme. You should look into going to a guitar shop and trying out some tube combos, and then some solid states, and seeing which ones you actually like better.

Besides that what kind of music do you play, and whats your price range, i know that you said price wasnt a problem, but you were mentioning low end tube amps, so Im just curious.
Quote by mrtgman
I have been giving it some more thought and I am leaning more towards a SS half stack now. It is just for me playing in my garage and I am a newbie so honestly I do not really think that I will miss (or appreciate) the tube tone. Please do not flame me on this. I would rather buy a top end ss half stack than a low end tube half stack. Makes sense! Anyway I want something that has good quality built in effects, celestion speakers in the cab and at least 100 watts. I already know that the marshall mg's and crate are crap so they are off the list. Other choices may include b52, kustom or line 6. I like metal mostly and price is no problem.Thanks in advance for your KIND replies.

No, it doesn't.

buy a mid-range tube combo.

and if price is no problem, I second fluffy. Maybe not the amps, as I haven't tried any bogners, but the general idea behind it.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by mrtgman
I have been giving it some more thought and I am leaning more towards a SS half stack now

im sorry you feeel that way
madison solace ftw.

but seriously, how much can you spend? you could probably swing a used peavey 5150 on ebay for around $500.
Quote by ClassicAxe

consider anything derek suggests, He IS a gain VVhore you know
Quote by jj1565
derek, will you go out wt me?

President Gain Whore -group on profile
You may aswell go tube. Later on in your playing life you'll jam with more and more people and if they have SS amps you'll laugh at there horrible sound and if they have a tube then you wont be jealous.
My gear:

Gibson Gothic Flying V
Engl Screamer Combo
Maxon OD-9
Squier 10w amp
YOU'RE MAKING A MISTAKE *cough*

and why would you need a 100 watts of even an SS amp in your garage? a 30 or 40 watt tube amp is equivilent (maybe more) and sounds SO much nicer
Quote by yorkshireterror
Dunlop's got the right idea
Oh yeah, only took me a few months
Founder of the "I Support Robert Keeley Mods," if you like them too, put this in your sig!

i <3 breakdowns
If you have to go with SS,
I think the best you can get would be a Randall G3 series..
Its pretty good for SS/Hybrid,
And you can get it halfstack with whatever cab you wan't...
So, check those out.

But If you are gonna go halfstack you should probably go tube instead..
SS is good though... for practice
[Founder of the Ibanez S players club.] Pm Me to Join
madison solace is SS, and pwns you.
Quote by ClassicAxe

Quote by jj1565

Quote by gpderek09

Ah yah.. I forgot abuot those. I hear their name tossed around...
Whats the amp Spynal has?
Supposedly he has a kick ass SS...
and it sounds good (i head his stuff)

Oh, and for LIne 6, check out hte Flextone's and Vetta II's if price doesn't matter..
Vetta's are amazing
[Founder of the Ibanez S players club.] Pm Me to Join
WHOA! I am glad I posted this. I am off to guitar center to check out the tube half stacks. I would love to find a used 5150. Thanks everyone.
^Wehey! Another person converted!
Don't be afraid to care"

Quote by mrtgman
Search concluded! Found this http://www.b-52stealthseries.com/ATSeries.html at guitar center and this thing rocks! $900 total for a 100watt tube head and a 4x12 cab. Sweet!

um you said you were practicing in a garage. and you said your a noob, meanig your not gonna be gigging for a while.

my point is this....DO YOU KNOW HOW LOUD A ****ING 100 WATT TUBE AMP IS???
Quote by yorkshireterror
Founder of the "I Support Robert Keeley Mods," if you like them too, put this in your sig!

i <3 breakdowns
Quote by DunlopGuy
um you said you were practicing in a garage. and you said your a noob, meanig your not gonna be gigging for a while.

I hear they're not much louder than 50 watt tube stacks, actually.

But I could be wrong. >_> I've never compared them.
Quote by DunlopGuy

I found out today how f***ing loud they are and I love it. It was shaking my whole body and I loved it! Gave me a real adrenaline rush..
the b-52, imo, is meh. supposidly with a better cab and a tube change they get a lot better. and, imo, you get a better cab than the b-52 one. check out a carvin legacy 2x12. it pwns.
Quote by ClassicAxe

Quote by jj1565

Well if you want a lot of clean headroom and like the sound of the amp, go for it.
Don't be afraid to care"

Quote by gpderek09

A man with a fine taste in gear.

[/completely unbiased recommendation]

If price is not an issue, then you obviously just want a Line 6 Vetta II, though realistically I think the HD 47 will suit you just fine.

Line 6 are the only company that have really "good" built in effects in SS amps.

Quote by Striketalonx

Whats the amp Spynal has?
Supposedly he has a kick ass SS...
and it sounds good (i head his stuff)

I have a Madison Solace, it is 200 watts SS, it > most tube amps. that, and that glowing red Madison logo is far too sexy.
2006 AND 2007 Ultimate Guitar Best Vocalist

Quote by Magero
Jack - 3:54 AM
I will smoke, and eat and watch Futurama in your honour
Last edited by Spynal at Jun 26, 2006,
Quote by gpderek09
the b-52, imo, is meh. supposidly with a better cab and a tube change they get a lot better. and, imo, you get a better cab than the b-52 one. check out a carvin legacy 2x12. it pwns.

what does meh and pwns mean?
^"not very good/average" and "perfectly owns"
Don't be afraid to care"

Quote by sg-rocker173
I hear they're not much louder than 50 watt tube stacks, actually.

But I could be wrong. >_> I've never compared them.

well i have a fender twin reverb. its like...85 watts or something right? ****ing LOUD at 1 or 2 in the bedroom. never taken it past 3. it's a 2x12 so i can only imagine a 100 watt through a 4x12
Quote by yorkshireterror

i <3 breakdowns
Quote by Spynal
A man with a fine taste in gear.

[/completely unbiased recommendation]

and glowing logos are indeed sexxxy.
Quote by ClassicAxe

Quote by jj1565

Quote by R_H_C_P
^"not very good/average" and "perfectly owns"

pwn was a typo in WCII first, its just word derived from own, and means the exact same thing. Not perfectly owned or power owned. Just owned.
^ agreed fluffy.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by mrtgman
I found out today how f***ing loud they are and I love it. It was shaking my whole body and I loved it! Gave me a real adrenaline rush..

Not a good idea, you realise if you lose your hearing your lose your ability to make music. If anything buy headphones
4x12 is overkill!

oh well, i know, the adrenalin rush you get from loud music.......

but remember, will u be able to play stuff that doesnt demand only high gain distortions....

get something versatile, and more practical. Do u realise the hassle you would have to go through to move it around, if say in the future you have to jam with your friends/band...or go to a gig....

I would say a 2x12 tube combo would be more than enough....even that is overkill with 100 watts. but easier to move around

only my two cents...

Quote by fannie
4x12 is overkill!

oh well, i know, the adrenalin rush you get from loud music.......

but remember, will u be able to play stuff that doesnt demand only high gain distortions....

get something versatile, and more practical. Do u realise the hassle you would have to go through to move it around, if say in the future you have to jam with your friends/band...or go to a gig....

I would say a 2x12 tube combo would be more than enough....even that is overkill with 100 watts. but easier to move around

only my two cents...

see, this kid knows what he's talking about
Quote by yorkshireterror

i <3 breakdowns
Quote by DunlopGuy
see, this kid knows what he's talking about

indeed he does. a 50 watt tube combo would be perfect for you. it's definately loud enough, easier to manage, and would sound better than most s.s. amps. definately check out ebay. lot of good deals on there.

Actually, there is a bit of controversy about pwned, but it doesn't really matter, it just means, "hey! he just showed you what a moron you are"
Gibson SG Standard
Fender 52 RI Telecaster
'77 Deluxe Reverb
Sunface w/ SunDial
MXR Carbon Copy
Crybaby

Quote by Sid McCall
Epic win. He speaks the truth, boys and girls.

Founder of the Neutral Milk Hotel club PM to join~
^

indeed.
Quote by ClassicAxe

Quote by jj1565

After reading a lot of these posts:

LEAVE THE GUY THE F*CK ALONE. He had cash, the right invironment (where his wife actually said yes...so give the guy props for THAT at least), and got something that he's happy with.

At least its a tube halfstack and not a crappy SS one. gah...grow up.

also: 100watts=no louder then 50watts. so stfu about how loud it is already.
Page 1 of 2