Hey im in the market for a fuzz pedal to spice up my sound and i've tried the usa big muff and i liked it a lot but i was at a show last night and the guitarist was using a pro co rat and the tone was very yummy

i havent tried the pro co, but i have tried the big muff.

so which do you reccomend?

im open for other suggestions, but try to stay in teh same price range.

thanks,

joe
i love the mig muff tone alot, very full and sustaining, but its very limited, it cant get light distotion. i like the rat better, more versitile.

but as far a sa full fuzz sound i think the muff wins, both good tho
Member of the Frank Zappa Fan Club, PM deadhead313313

People Wouldn't know good music if it hit them in face
- Frank Zappa

Gear:
Carvin CT3
Digitech GNX3
Peavey Classic 30
I see you have the Smashing Pumpkins as your avatar, I think the Big Muff is what you'd want then

The ProCo Rat can actually sound rather normal most of the time, though it is finnicky in general and you have to dial in the settings right to get a good sound.
I have the muff and I love it, but everybody's looking for a different sound.
the lesser known of the 4
^Which Muff? There's Russian and USA, they sound a bit different, I prefer the Russian one.
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
I prefer the "both" category.

Digitech DF-7 FTW. Has both as model settings (numbers 4 and 7, respectively) and sound good enough with specific dialings to go along with the originals.
^Same, it's a lot less insane gain-wise.
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
i tried the two back to back, with my gear at guitar center (the russian and the american) and i prefered teh usa one

to each his own they say haha

part of the major difference was the build qual. and i beat my stuff to crap.

so yeah
Rat's are more versitle but judging from your avatar you like The Smashing Pumpkins and Billy and James both used Big Muffs on Siamese Dreams.
Then I'd recommend the Big Muff however you will need to do a lot of tweaking to get the same tone as Billy and James. I'd take a real good look at the Rat pedal before you go making any decisions.
i have a keeley modded rat and it's fantastic, easier to get a good sound, plus sounds 10x better anyways
Quote by yorkshireterror
Dunlop's got the right idea
Oh yeah, only took me a few months
Founder of the "I Support Robert Keeley Mods," if you like them too, put this in your sig!

i <3 breakdowns
Quote by jolson27
what excactly is 'keely modded'?

i've heard it alot around here.

This guy here: http://rkfx.com/home.php

makes a couple of pedals (the Keely Compressor is basically a clone of a Ross Compresser using very well selected parts and the Java Boost is a Rangemaster, but he also has a couple of his own ones) and mods many others
Quote by SuperAnalytical
I prefer the "both" category.

Digitech DF-7 FTW. Has both as model settings (numbers 4 and 7, respectively) and sound good enough with specific dialings to go along with the originals.

yes, i have the df-7 and its great. ive only compared two of the settings to their actual pedals. that is the Ibanez TS-9(setting 1 on the df-7) and the Boss MT-2 Metal Zone(setting 5 on the df-7). i think the df-7 creates really good imitating tones of both these pedals. now theyre not perfect but their pretty d@mn close! now im gonna assume since the two ive tried have been fairly good the other 5 modes will be close to their models.
#64 in the Alter Bridge rocks club!

LTD MH-400
Line 6 Uber Metal
Line 6 Echo Park
Peavey Valveking 112