Poll: What string gauge do you use?
Poll Options
View poll results: What string gauge do you use?
8 or lower
1 1%
37 31%
49 41%
21 18%
6 5%
5 4%
14 or higher
1 1%
Voters: 120.
I can't decide on what gauge, as I'm changing from 11s, was wondering what everyone else uses.
I use 10's, IMO theyre the easiest strings to work with, but it all depends on what your playing
Quote by rocknrollstar
"Oh baby baby yes yes YES! YES! *pinch harmonic*"
I'm an 11s guy electric, 12s acoustic
"You ever dance with the devil in the pale moonlight?"
Quote by Aftter-Forever
9s, because i have a floyd rose

same here and string bends are easy and smoother with 9's
I want to try and play a little faster, even quick little hammer on / pull off combos are hard with 11s, though I feel 10s won't be enough of a difference.
10 gauge for electric, 11 gauge for acoustic, 12 gauge for hunting.
=deportivo=

"so this guy woke up with 6 different girls on 6 days of the week?"
"yea, isn't that crazy?"
"he must be god"
"...and on the seventh day he rested"
Quote by ibanezzer
I want to try and play a little faster, even quick little hammer on / pull off combos are hard with 11s, though I feel 10s won't be enough of a difference.

well, I honestly find 9's to be too light - its like playing with wet noodles. I'm not saying they're bad, tons of great players live by them, but if you're used to 11's I'm sure that 10's will be a noticeable difference.
.7's Duh.

No, I really use 11's on the Yamaha (the 'DJ' guitar) and 10's on the Les Paul (the main guitar), mainly because it came set-up for 10's and the playability is so awesome that I don't want to ruin it with a different string gauge.
Quote by deportivo

10-46 on my Jem, 10-52 on my Strat. Even they're a bit to light, they flap about abit too much on picking runs (which is why I hate 9s), but my vibrato doesn't sound as good on anything heavier.
My name is Tom, feel free to use it.
Earnie Ball SLinky 10's, Yea baby!
President of the Guitarists Born In 1991 Club. PM blues rocker or I to join

Quote by RadioHead22
I love you greendayguitar
In a non- gay, awkward-man-hug way
Quote by greendayguitar
Earnie Ball SLinky 10's, Yea baby!

dean markley blue steel 10's
9-42s, because I've never used anything else, lol. Well to be fair one of my guitars came set up with 10s once. First bend I did, the B string snapped.

So I went back to 9s.
A dwarf might hear you. What then?

My Music
I always used 9's but just got my first set of 10's. I think they feel insanely better but I can't do crazy huge screaming vibrato quite as good

still like them better.
I'm not racist.

I hate everyone the same.

Metal

EB skinny top heavy bottom (these are the only good strings from EB)
Elixir 11s
D'addario 13s jazz medium gauge
.11's, mainly becuase I have a short-scale guitar. If it was standard length, I'd probably be using .10's.
WHY IS EVERYONE IN THE PIT A FUCKING METALCORE KID
10's for both and sigged

Originally Posted by deportivo
I use 9s now, only because I cant fine any 8s in the music store. I try to find them as thin as they go.
Quote by Yespleasevicar
NevermorePsalm thank you for showing me how clever and witty one person can be in just a few sentances. My God i wanna be like u so much! In fact we all do. Well done

Steven Wilson and Mikael Akerfeldt own my soul.
9's because those are those are the most comfortable ones for me. I almost switched to 10's when my high e string kept breaking(and it was bad, broke 3 high e strings in 2 weeks), but then I just switched brands and I'm ok now.
Quote by Dæmönika
I'm afraid of you...MDoggDX316phobia

Quote by Imperial
Yes, Master MDoggDX316

Ain't Nuthin' But a UG Thang: The Hype Man of the UG Hip
Hop/Guitar Music Equality Illuminati
I use 10's, but has anyone used 8's? They are so damn cool. I reccommend using them on any string through guitar.
I used 8s once after playing with elevens. Jeebus. It was seriously like playing on hairs. The thickest string was like a 40.
Quote by boardsofcanada
^^

<_<
~Bass'-play-er.

The #1 member of the club that isn't terribly predjudiced against emo. Get over yourselves.
PM me, or just say # x
And part of Fortysix and twos Defenders of Emo club.

" Zach_F I love you for that."
d'Addario XL Jazz Medium 13-56.

Sound good... I play a Strat, so light strings sound waaaaaaaaay to thin, especially on the treble pickup. This way you get a cool balance of a fairly thick sound that still cuts through everything else.

AND I can still do two and a half tone bends with 'em. It's a matter of practice.
Feel free to ignore my ranting.

Member of the Self-Taught Club.

A recent study shows that 8% of teenagers listen to nothing but music with guitars in it. Put this in your sig if you're one of the 92% who isn't a close-minded moron.
I prefer .11 with high action. I dont know but thats what I been using to play since the day I started. Low action, with .09 just feel weird