I was wondering how important an amp's overdrive is, considering that I already have a decent distortion pedal (Boss MT-2).

I have been looking for a new guitar amp lately, something I can jam or play at least small gigs with. For the most part I play really heavy stuff, so I need enough distortion to handle thrash/death metal. I've been having trouble finding a tube amp in my price range with that much distortion.

I probably want to spend $600 at the maximum, but I just read a thread where the Ashdown Fallen Angel was recommended for high a high gain amp. From a quick look around it seems it would cost around $700 to get the 40 watt version, which is a little more than I wanted to spend.

Should I just ignore the amount of amp distortion and find a decent tube amp that works well with my distortion pedal, or should I really try to find an amp with enough gain for me? There really isn't too much selection for guitar amps near me. I'll probably be making the considerably long drive to Guitar Center soon to check out amps, I just wanted to hear some opinions on what I should be looking for and any suggestions on amps I should take a look at.
Nope, you should always try to get amp distortion over pedal distortion. Try to save a teeny bit more for a Peavey, and ashdown would be a good choice.
If you get a good tube amp with a nice sounding distortion you can boost it with a overdrive pedal. I use an Engl Screamer with a maxon OD-9 (pedal used by Killswitch, God Forbid and lots of other good metal bands) and it sounds better than any single distortion pedal.
My gear:

Gibson Gothic Flying V
Engl Screamer Combo
Maxon OD-9
Squier 10w amp
^

used 5150, they've been going for $400-$600 on ebay lately. dirt cheap.
Quote by ClassicAxe

consider anything derek suggests, He IS a gain VVhore you know
Quote by jj1565
derek, will you go out wt me?

President Gain Whore -group on profile
Sell your MT-2
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
I didn't really want to buy a tube amp over ebay. I definitely want to be able to play an amp before I buy it.
if theres one at the GC, try it, then buy on ebay.
Quote by ClassicAxe

consider anything derek suggests, He IS a gain VVhore you know
Quote by jj1565
derek, will you go out wt me?

President Gain Whore -group on profile