can someone recomend me a compressor. Seriusly, money is no limit, i plan to try and find a schematic and build it. So as i said, money makes very little difference, however i wont be able to find all the schematics for them so i would like as many brilliant compressors that you can reccomend, and if possible, could you list the controls with them.
Well if money and time are not an issue I'd say try and build one, you'd have a lot of fun, but if you need one soon and cannot find a schminadic I'd recommend one of the Boss Compressors.
keeley mod home brew compressor is the shiznit
Quote by yorkshireterror
Dunlop's got the right idea
Oh yeah, only took me a few months
Founder of the "I Support Robert Keeley Mods," if you like them too, put this in your sig!

i <3 breakdowns
as i said, i am going to build it (along with multiple other pedals, big muff, proco rat, other stuff like that along with a loop selector) so i'm looking for the top compressor.
i have the boss cs-3 compressor sustainer. It is pretty sweet for clean tones anyways. Definately recomend
Slowhand 03/23/07
The UG Eric Clapton Fan Club

PM clapton-floyd to join
the only thing is, i was looking for one with lots ofadjustable parameters, threshold, ratio, tone, level, attack and maybe even knee
http://tonepad.com/project.asp?id=9

this is the Ross Compressor and the MXR Dynacomp. Both can be built ont he same circuitboard. The MXR Dynacomp has a kind of brighter shiny sound to it (think country guitar) if thats what you're into.

The famed Keely Compressor is basically a clone of the Ross Compressor, Mr Keeley just uses very well choosen parts.

Also on that site is the Orange Squeezer, a simple little effect that Dan Armstrong once made, it plugged right into your guitars input jack. Its much more subtle than the Ross (which gives you a full out comressed sound).

Theres also the DOD 280 project on that site which is an optical compressor, no idea about that one but people tend to like them.

I've got an etched PCB of the Ross Compressor right in front of me now

edit: just remember another stuff, this is with an entire chip thats dedicated to dynamics processing http://www.muzique.com/ssm2166.htm
though I think I read something about only 5 volts not having enough headroom... might be interesting if you manage to get ahold of the chip
Last edited by seljer at Jun 25, 2006,
so what controls do each of these have? because as i said i would like to able to adjust aleast the attack, ratio, realease (sustain) and level and ideally tone and if im very lucky knee aswell.
Compressor for things like a guitar tend to have less controls than fancy studio units

The Ross, Dynacomp and the Orange Squeezer all just have sustain (which is basically ratio in this case) and volume. The Ross and Dynacomp kind of have an internal gate control which is one of those set and forget things.

And you have your amps EQ if tone is what you want to control...or get/make a EQ pedal (I'd rather buy one since I know I'd end up doing something ugly if I tried to use slider pots in an enclosure...and the MXR ones have glowing LEDs as the sliders! )

edit:
this forum in general will have lots of good info http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=46504.0

quoting R.G. Keen fromt hat thread
There are (at least) two kinds of compressors - feed forward compressors and feed back compressors. In feed forward compressors, the envelope of the incoming signal is taken and that's used to set the variable gain, not looking at what is coming out the end of the thing. In feed back compressors, the envelope is taken at the end of the compressor and there is enough gain in the loop from envelope to gain cell input to force the output to be constant.
if you want release and that kind of stuff you better figure out how the envelope is detected in those pedals
Last edited by seljer at Jun 25, 2006,
right, so i will probably end up building one of those two, but what controls do they have exactly, its 3am here and yout post makes no sense to me.

Thanks for all of your help, i'm a bit of a noob when it comes to new effects.
Quote by thesumoftwo
right, so i will probably end up building one of those two, but what controls do they have exactly, its 3am here and yout post makes no sense to me.

Thanks for all of your help, i'm a bit of a noob when it comes to new effects.

just build the Ross Compressor or the Dynacomp, they're good pedals
(theres a mod listed that allows you to install a switch to switch between the 2 on the same circuitboard if lots of different options are your thing)

you could probably also build the Orange Squeezer and house it in the same enclosure if you went for a slightly larger one.
ha, liking the idea of 3 compressors in one, a quick question again though, if i wer only to build one which would you reccomend to help me get that pushed, screaming guitar soudn with lots and lots of sustain?
Quote by thesumoftwo
ha, liking the idea of 3 compressors in one, a quick question again though, if i wer only to build one which would you reccomend to help me get that pushed, screaming guitar soudn with lots and lots of sustain?

I reccomend you turn up the gain

Trey Anastasio has got a Ross Compressor which he uses quiet heavily and he's got gobs of sustain, not really pushed sound (as thats in more of a thing of a pushed tube amp) , screaming.....wel thats in how you play it

the Orange Squeezer is rather subtle so I'd go with the Ross or the Dynacomp.
OK, thanks, i think im going to build the ross comp. Just the wonderfull task of finding a schem for a noisegate now
Quote by thesumoftwo
OK, thanks, i think im going to build the ross comp. Just the wonderfull task of finding a schem for a noisegate now

theres the MXR noise gate also on that site