Hello there bass players, I've played guitar for about 2 and a half years but recently I've had a huge urge to start playing bass too. I have a pretty good knowledge of guitars but know little to nothing about basses, so I came here for help I want to get a decent (or possibly excellent) bass for less than £300, preferably with 24 frets and an unfinished (or just really fast) neck. I have no idea about pickups or anything else really lol but all attempts to aid me are welcome. 4 or 5 string only please, my hands aren't huge enough for more lol

Thanks guys
Ibanez RG1570
Epiphone Black Beauty
Line 6 Spider II 112
BOSS CS-3 Compression Sustainer
haha I have been playing Bass for 2 and half years (Xmas 04) and just last week bought my first acoustic guitar! Not a big gear head so can't tell ya whats up with the pickups, but I love playing and has really made my guitar playing so far sound pretty funkalicious
Archdeacon of the Church of Zeppelinism
PM TheHeartbreaker to join

Highway One Telecaster (Upgrade)
Laney 30 Watt Combo
Boss ME-50 FX

horazonblade, you are one of the reasonable/intelligent people on this forum... - JewMasatFlex
/\ how the hell was that relevant? Anyhoo, for 300 quid a great choice is to buy:

1) an SX Jazz Bass copy. Cheap, and of high quality, 4 strings, fast neck
2) to get an Ibanez SR series. First, check out the used market. The new Ibanez in this price segment are overpriced. Yet feature an infamous pencil-neck.

-I wouldn't buy an active bass. THey'd usually have crummy preamps.
-I would buy a bass with 2 pickups. For greater tonal variety
-I wouldn't EVER do guitar licks on a bass. THat's what you guitarists do, when you pick it up, and it's wrong)

If you guys could give me links to the basses you recommend, that would be super

And yes Bassilo, we do tend to do that *blushes*
Ibanez RG1570
Epiphone Black Beauty
Line 6 Spider II 112
BOSS CS-3 Compression Sustainer
Quote by Bassilo
/\ how the hell was that relevant? Anyhoo, for 300 quid a great choice is to buy:

1) an SX Jazz Bass copy. Cheap, and of high quality, 4 strings, fast neck
2) to get an Ibanez SR series. First, check out the used market. The new Ibanez in this price segment are overpriced. Yet feature an infamous pencil-neck.

-I wouldn't buy an active bass. THey'd usually have crummy preamps.
-I would buy a bass with 2 pickups. For greater tonal variety
-I wouldn't EVER do guitar licks on a bass. THat's what you guitarists do, when you pick it up, and it's wrong)

yeah, those SX basses are really getting up there.... they have an artists page on there website.. www.rondomusic.com ive talked to other professionals and teachers, and they even use them... so yeah thats a great choice.
for 300 pounds, or roughly 550USD, i'd recommend a fender p-special standard. or for less mabe just teh squier p-special. u wont know the difference really.

and why'd u sig me BassSurfer?
i can also vouch for the SX models found at rondomusic, the basses, anyhow. my 5-string has been working excellently for 1.5 years. my guitar however has some neck issues (truss rod, i believe) but that could be a fluke. everything else about the guitar is fine, it just frets out in a couple places.

and as far as pickups, i'd recommend humbuckers. you can't run your fingers across jazz-style quite the same way as with these. but that may just be personal preference.

btw, i found online purchases to be great for my first guitars, but when i get others, i'll always try them out first and buy that one. it's a good idea to know how the instrument feels and performs before buying it. but if you do buy one online, try out a similar one at your local guitar shop first to be sure it's what you want.
Quote by SocKo?
for 300 pounds, or roughly 550USD, i'd recommend a fender p-special standard. or for less mabe just teh squier p-special. u wont know the difference really.

and why'd u sig me BassSurfer?

actually, due to taxes on imports and everything, 300 pounds for a guitar, is maybe 350 USD...i'd recommend a used SR or GSR Ibanez. They have a really thin neck, and it's a great switchover bass for guitarists
Quote by Soma3009
An interesting Thread. IN BIZARRO WORLD! HAH.

Quote by FakePlsticTrees
and props, clapping and bows to you mantiscabinet.