Seymour Duncan
38 57%
Emg
29 43%
Voters: 67.
Page 1 of 2
Which one is better for metal?

Active Emg's or seymour duncans?

Is there a huge difference between them or is one JUST A LITTLE better?
i just know that Emg's sound like crap in a clean setting. i think seymour suncans are more well rounded.
Quote by yourmom09
i just know that Emg's sound like crap in a clean setting. i think seymour suncans are more well rounded.

Yeah, all the metalheads are like EMG EMG EMG! I PWN J00, J00 R N0+ WORTHEE and manage to get some killer distortion, but they sound a bit nasty and unfriendly on clean...

Saying that, I quite like EMGs, theyre just not that versatile
Quote by sprkidjar
i'll give you a rimjob.

Ibanez RGT 42 DX FM TLF
Crate GT1200 Half-stack
Boss GT8
orangeacid.net

(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Put him in your signature and help
(")_(") him on his way to world domination.
IMHO EMG's sound way better for high gain distortion but lack tone for anything else. The duncans are more well rounded however.
EMG's suck, espescially the cleans.
WHY IS EVERYONE IN THE PIT A FUCKING METALCORE KID
I love the way he's asking which are better for metal, and 70% of the replies are "EMG cleans suck" or "SD are more rounded".

I didn't vote, as I haven't tried the high gain SD's.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
metal? WHat kind man, if you're into sabbath and maiden, go SD's, slipknot, slayer and stuff like that, go EMG's
Quote by Half_Full
[IMG]http://img166.imageshack.us/img166/5971/uselessko5.gif[/IMG]

My Gear:
-Epiphone Les Paul Standard plus -honeyburst with Duncan Jb/59
-Crate gt65
-Boss ME-50
Future gear:
-Vox AC30 cc2
Then what would you say would be the best/well rounded seymour duncan pickup PASSIVE for metal?
Member of the Metal Militia. PM Gibson_10 or AngelOfSorrow to join
Last edited by gibson_10 at Jun 25, 2006,
Quote by namman05
metal? WHat kind man, if you're into sabbath and maiden, go SD's, slipknot, slayer and stuff like that, go EMG's

he's right.
Seymour duncan also has Livewires... havent tried them out personally, but its what dave mustaine uses on his guitars...
EMG makes GREAT pickups. Some of my personal favorite.

Seymour Duncan, I don't like the majority of them, but the Mustain Sig Livewires RULE.

DiMarzio is awesome too.
haha
W T F....

EMGs have great cleans! 60 in the neck and 81 in the bridge is a kickass combo. 60 has a really clear clean, with lots of low end, and just enough mids. And distorted it's very smooth, kind of that like Petrucci neck pickup shredding thing going on, except more clarity than you'd find with most passives. 81 is used by many metal players because of it's tone. Lots of treble, almost "scooped" mids, and a defined, punchy low end.
clips
Gear
  • Framus Cobra Head
  • Peavey 5150 Head
  • Marshall MF280 4x12 Cab
  • PRS Custom 24 w/ 3-Way/Coil Tap
  • Ibanez RGT220A w/ EMG 85 Neck/81 Bridge
  • Rack w/ BBE 482i, Hush Super C, and Furman
Quote by JimiMan1535
W T F....

EMGs have great cleans! 60 in the neck and 81 in the bridge is a kickass combo. 60 has a really clear clean, with lots of low end, and just enough mids. And distorted it's very smooth, kind of that like Petrucci neck pickup shredding thing going on, except more clarity than you'd find with most passives. 81 is used by many metal players because of it's tone. Lots of treble, almost "scooped" mids, and a defined, punchy low end.

Person with common sense.

I prefer the 85 in the bridge, though.
haha
Quote by namman05

What kind of SD do you recommend for classic rock (AC/DC, zepplin, sabbath)?
Guitar:
ESP LTD EC-1000 STBC

Bass:
Fender MIA Black/Maple Jazz 4 String
Ampeg B-40 4x10 Cab
Ampeg SVT3 Pro
Quote by Bad Seed
What kind of SD do you recommend for classic rock (AC/DC, zepplin, sabbath)?

59/59

Very, very Versatile.
I have emgs and the clean is amazing, i dont know what youre all talking about or why your set up is sucking for ya. Sorry to hear that but they are definatley versatile. That being said SDs arnt bad either.
Quote by THE JEWISH AFRO
yo tengo un dimebucker y me gusta mucho mas que los emgs. me gusta el gain y treble

agreed.
EMGs are great for metal, the EMG 60 has pretty awesome clean sounds at the neck, coupled with a EMG 81 in the bridge, and it's an awesome combinition for metal.

as for seymour duncans, they're pretty awesome, the best combinition in SD I could find is a JB at bridge, and a Jazz or 59 at neck, killer combinition, and they're awesome for metal, Randy Rhoads used them, Dave Mustaine used them till recently (just check the distorion on take no prisoners, it's awesome tone), the thing with duncans though is that you can get more versatile guitars for other stuff as blues, but if you want metal both are great, it depends on what tone YOU seek

as for the duncan's livewires, the metal livewire isn't good compared to ther duncans and EMGs, haven't tried the Mustaine signature SD actives though, they're supposed to be a higher output version of the JB and Jazz pups
Quote by THE JEWISH AFRO
yo tengo un dimebucker y me gusta mucho mas que los emgs. me gusta el gain y treble

Usted como el Dimebucker mucho mas? Usted posee un tubo amperio? El Dimebucker no es ese bueno.
Jackson SLSMG Soloist (JB/Jazz)
Roland Micro Cube

Member of UG's gain \/\/hores-pm gpderek09 to join.
EMG HZ H-4 passives? Alexi uses them, IMO I hate changing batterys even though they last like 3-5 months. I say go for the Seymores.
When someone says that EMGs have bad cleans, either they are saying that because someone else said that, they had a ****ty amp, or they are tone deaf since EMGs have some of the BEST cleans ever. They are both clear and crisp and can be very warm. You just have to know how to get certain sounds since the pickups and your equipment won't do it for you automatically. Anyways, I would go with EMGs for metal since they have a much better sound, but it depends on if you want to route out a spot in your guitar for the battery to be put. You can always probably go to your local guitar store and have them do it since most can do Floyd Rose installation. The only problem it would be expensive. Or you could just screw the battery cavity on the outside and try to make it look good. If that's too much for you then just get a Seymour Duncan JB in the bridge and Jazz in the neck since that is their best combination especially for metal.
Guitars
Agile 3100 CSB
ESP MH400 w/ Trem-Setter
Epi G-310
Applause Acoustic

Amps
1968 Fender Vibrochamp - Great amp, only $100 fixxer-upper
Line 6 Spider II

REMEMBER, ALL TONE IS SUBJECTIVE!
Ok im gonna straighten some things out.

First Randy Rhoades did not use SDs he used Dimarzio Super distortion in bridge and PAF in Neck

Second - EMGs are great metal pickups 81/60 an amzing combo.

Third - If your playing just metal go with the EMG actives the passives suck ass but if your going for a more well rounded tone go for the duncans.

Fourth - El Dimebucker no es ese bueno. The dimebucker is absolute crap. if you want dimes blade pickup it is a Bill Lawrence XL500 look it up its amazing

hope i cleared some stuff up
Member of UG's Gain \/\/hores - pm gpderek09 to join
Quote by Syn Harvest
Ok im gonna straighten some things out.

First Randy Rhoades did not use SDs he used Dimarzio Super distortion in bridge and PAF in Neck

Well.

In his Les Paul he used stock pickups (Gibson Burstbuckers)
In his Charvel V he used Super Distortion/PAF
In the Jackson RR he used Duncan Distortion, and a JB in the neck (wierd combo.. dunno why they didnt use it on the later RR's though)
basically EMGs do kick ass especially an 81/85 setup. BUTTT seymour duncans are great also..its all depends on the type of music or in some cases the guitarist hiself. for a hard hittin pantera sound i use a dimebucker and a custom duncan but wen it comes to anything heavier the EMG combo is much better

my setup:

ESP F250 w/ EMGs 81/85
BC rich warlock w/ SD dimebucker and custom model

Crate 3500 half stack
vitesse 50 watt

zoom G2.1 effects pedal
Digitech the weapon
crybaby from hell
EMGs have a fake-ish tone. They have this mechanical unorganic tone. Seymour Duncans and other passive pickups breath and wane with feedback and tone.

I'm not saying EMGs are bad but they wont give you that living breathing good ol rock and roll tone like Passives will. Their tone is very cold and sterile. But they do register harmonics like no other and palm mutes jump out of the guitar with them.
i hated my emg clean sound,
it was so ughhhhhh
i could never get it too be a dark sound, just a high pitch ewww

and my seymoud duncans are well rounded
Call me Sean
Quote by Nilpferdkoenig
He's just trying to protect our innocence.

Yes i am
Quote by :Vicious--

Your flirting powers are incredible.

Gear:
Schecter S1 Elite Black Cherry (Soapbar Neck, Invader Bridge)
Schecter Banshee
Orange Dual Terror
Boss CE-5
Goatkeeper
i heard that EMG's will sound like crap in my agathis body warlock...i dunno if true or not..will SD's sound better?
R.I.P. DIMEBAG Put this in your sig to keep DIMEBAG's memory alive

Silvertone Revolver guitar
B.C. Rich Warlock Deluxe Series
Dixon Acoustic
Silvertone Smart III Electric Guitar Amp
Page 1 of 2