Does ayone else find that todays bands are nowhere near as good as old bands, or is it just my imagination. Im in no way flaming todays bands, but they do not seem to have the same talent as older bands. Take for example Rory Gallagher, Stevie Ray Vaughen etc..., true geniouses, compared with todays " most popular rock bands" like greenday, foo fighters etc... who can play a few chords, and are considered rock gods. I do realise there are some very talented new bands such as Trivium and Red Hot Chilli Peppers, but these are very few in number. Anyway, can anyone relate to this feeling, or are there generally the same amount of talented bands/guitarists arund. If so could people give me a few bands to check out, no specific genre, absolutely anything were the guitarist can actually play more than the basics?
Thanks
We'll be washed and buried one day my friend
And the time we were given will be left for the world
The flesh that lived and loved will be eaten by plague
So let the memories be good for those who stay
I'd say that some of the most talented and original bands at this moment are Opeth, Tool and Porcupine Tree

and the Foo Fighters kick ass, well Dave Grohl kicks ass in general as the amount of stuff that that guy can do is amazing (drumming on Queens of the Stone Age - Songs For the Deaf, Probot where he did everything except the vocals....he did everything on the first Foo Fighters album by himself too)
first off, the chilis have been around since the 80s. hardly counts as new. same with greenday. they may be experiencing a surge in popularity but that does not make them new.

anyway back to the topic at hand, the problem is not that there is a lack of talented bands in comparison to past bands just that they are not given the same opportunities as those in the past. the media has such control over what we perceive as music and talent that our opinions are handed to us readymade. the bands that are talented are just in different places than before. the saying goes that there is a thin line between madness and genius but nowadays genius is considered madness and madness genius, just look at the art scene. if you want to see talented bands stay away from corporate media and its easily stereotyped evil twin. in many ways keraang magazine and tv channel is as bad as the safe pop you will see and hear on daytime tv and radio. the true talent lies elsewhere. im listening to sigur ros at the moment and i really doubt ill be seeing them on keraang anytime soon but i woulkd sat the same as to seeing them on bbc at 3 in the afternoon. but they are a very talented band. heres a few if you want to check them out:
youth movie soundtrack strategies
sketchie
princess
our brother the native
jenniferever
taint
in flames
scissorfight
muse

take your pick i would especially reccomend our brother the native for some very wierd but obviously talented stuff.
there are doors that open
there are doors that dont

A recent study shows that 8% of teenagers listen to nothing but music with guitars in it. Put this in your sig if you're one of the 92% who aren't close-minded morons.
red hot chilli pepers arent thta new theyve been around for like 20 years...but just cause theyre not good musicans doesn tmean theyre not good songs writes...unfortunetly they arent good song writers either useualy.
Quote by GUNZI
red hot chilli pepers arent thta new theyve been around for like 20 years...but just cause theyre not good musicans doesn tmean theyre not good songs writes...unfortunetly they arent good song writers either useualy.

They're great musicians, you should listen to Flea and Frusciante jamming just because it isn't uber-shred type stuff it doesn't mean they're bad.
Flea also had something like 7 years of formal training in trumpet before he even picked up a bass.

Greenday may not be good muscian they have written some good songs.
There are a lot of great new bands, but I do agree in a way. Look at the number of great musicians in the past, and look now. Theres not many anymore.
Good new bands
-Tool
-Chili Peppers (I know, not new. But they've made some great recent music like Californication and By The Way)
-Foo Fighters (Dave Grohl is awesome.)

"and the Foo Fighters kick ass, well Dave Grohl kicks ass in general as the amount of stuff that that guy can do is amazing (drumming on Queens of the Stone Age - Songs For the Deaf, Probot where he did everything except the vocals....he did everything on the first Foo Fighters album by himself too)"
^ amen ^
Gear
-Ibanez Soundgear SRX3EXQM1 (yeah, long name)
-Fender Rumble 100

A recent study shows that 92% of all teenagers have moved on to rap music. Put this in your sig if you are one of the 8% who stayed with real music.
there are some new bands that i think are really trying to incoporate ideas of the old bands into their stuff......Oasis is one of my personal favs, even though they cant really be considered as new........but Sam Roberts is also really good music....along with jet.....dont go on Are You Gonna Be My Girl for jet......if you actaully listen to their first album (Get Born) alot of the stuff is really good
Quote by curtis uck
first off, the chilis have been around since the 80s. hardly counts as new. same with greenday. they may be experiencing a surge in popularity but that does not make them new.

anyway back to the topic at hand, the problem is not that there is a lack of talented bands in comparison to past bands just that they are not given the same opportunities as those in the past. the media has such control over what we perceive as music and talent that our opinions are handed to us readymade. the bands that are talented are just in different places than before. the saying goes that there is a thin line between madness and genius but nowadays genius is considered madness and madness genius, just look at the art scene. if you want to see talented bands stay away from corporate media and its easily stereotyped evil twin. in many ways keraang magazine and tv channel is as bad as the safe pop you will see and hear on daytime tv and radio. the true talent lies elsewhere. im listening to sigur ros at the moment and i really doubt ill be seeing them on keraang anytime soon but i woulkd sat the same as to seeing them on bbc at 3 in the afternoon. but they are a very talented band. heres a few if you want to check them out:
youth movie soundtrack strategies
sketchie
princess
our brother the native
jenniferever
taint
in flames
scissorfight
muse

take your pick i would especially reccomend our brother the native for some very wierd but obviously talented stuff.
Great post and some good recommendations. I also recommend YMSS, Princess and Jeniferever.

Good music exists.
I have a theory.

The only reason people think like the threadstarter is that the only stuff you hear about from "back in the day" was the stuff that many people thought was "good". You don't hear about all the **** that was popular for two months but then faded out. So really, when looking back at music, you only see the more popular, or "better" music.
try listenin to

the mars volta
john frusciante
muse
radiohead
the smashing pumpkins
the strokes
the white stripes
Al Baker
The Antics
The Aquabats
The Arrogant Sons Of Bitches
Authority Zero
Avail
A7X
Big D & the Kids Table
The Black Crowes
The Black Keys
Black Label Society
Blanks '77
Bomb the Music Industry!
Bombshell Rocks
The Bouncing Souls
Brain Failure
Catch 22
Common Rider
Dream Theater
Dropkick Murphys
The Explosion
Faraquet
Flogging Molly
The Forces of Evil
A Global Threat
The Hives
Hoobastank
Iconoclast (the punk band, not the emo or metal band)
Immortal Technique
Jet
John Legend
Last Call Brawl
Los Lonely Boys
The Lower Class Brats
Nebula
No Cash
No Hope For The Kids
Norah Jones
North Mississippi Allstars
Oasis
Oi Polloi
OutKast
Pennywise
Propagandhi
Puddle of Mudd
Rancid
Reel Big Fish
The Repercussions (more recent than new, 2002-2005)
Rid Of Me
Roger Miret & the Disasters
The Roots
The Skuds
The Slackers
Sleater-Kinney
The Soviettes
Streetlight Manifesto
The Strokes
The Suspicion
Thrice
Tool
Toxic Narcotic
U.S. Bombs
The Unseen
Velvet Revolver
The Virus
Wyclef Jean
I swear someone makes a thread like this every other week. Look buddy, most people don't care about musicianship. I myself could care less. However I suggest you stop looking at MTV and take a look at a genre called "post-rock." It's pretty much the modern equivalent of Classical music and takes more talent then Classick Rock, shred, or Metal. As well, Sufjan Stevens is more talented then 99% of past guitarists seeing as he plays about 20+ different instruments.
Ain't Nuthin' But a UG Thang: Generic member of the UG Hip Hop/Guitar Music Equality Illuminati

Quote by mydarkesthour

It seems like UG is full of those Caveman Metalheads

Quote by mydarkesthour
I meant caveman as in long haired....

Last edited by pumpkins_rule at Jul 26, 2006,
Well seeing as you already know system of a down, there's a band called dragon force, but they are thrash metal/power metal...but the guitarist is friggin insane