This is my Lenny (SRV) cover for a Berklee audition tape... critique it please!

http://alpinehigh.dmusic.com/

...of course i could never get his tone (especially on a gibson) but i'm pretty sure most of the playing is accurate
pretty good, I love playing that song on the guitar.
top axes:
Taylor GS8
Fender American Strat (w/DiMarzio pickups)
Epiphone Les Paul
good sound, it starts to get a little sketchy from about 3:00-3:21, but otherwise good.
"Avoid distractions. Take out the phone!"

- Steve Morse (on rehearsing)

"I really like being out on the edge in a concert."

- Phil Keaggy
Yeah I love that song as well.. Good job on it. On Youtube, there was a video of him playing it live (dont know what venue) but he puts so much feeling into that song.. its amazing.

BTW.. Could you guys critic? I don't know the whole song yet.. just mainly the main riff and intro parts.. tell me how it sounds so far? BTW.. I have AWEFUL quality.. lol. It sounded OK before I converted to mp3.. which I had to do at like AM quality. lol. I need a good mp3 converter.

http://sanders4617.dmusic.com/
Last edited by sanders4617 at Jun 25, 2006,
good job. i thought some parts could have been smoother but still good. i did this song too but i cant get it to work.
Quote by Guitarhero180
good sound, it starts to get a little sketchy from about 3:00-3:21, but otherwise good.

? how so? i listened to the real version and it seemed pretty much right on to me, could you tell me what i'm doing wrong so i can fix it? thx!
Great sound, i liked it alot
man this is pretty good,
nice work
Call me Sean
Quote by Nilpferdkoenig
He's just trying to protect our innocence.

Yes i am
Quote by :Vicious--

Your flirting powers are incredible.

Gear:
Schecter S1 Elite Black Cherry (Soapbar Neck, Invader Bridge)
Schecter Banshee
Orange Dual Terror
Boss CE-5
Goatkeeper
Great stuff.
*Taylor 214ce Acoustic
*Fender Highway One Honey Blonde Strat (Fralin Pickups)
*Epiphone Zephyr Regent (Gibson '57 Humbucker)
*Vox 847 Wah
*Fulltone Fulldrive 2 MOSFET
*Fender Blues Deluxe Amp
Last edited by JJK at Jun 26, 2006,
very awesome, but sounds just a tad little bit flangey. other than that it sounds spot on.
Sounds great. How can you get such an authentic sound? Your tone is very close, especially since you're using a Gibson. You nailed the sound, especially around 3:25 and on. Very good cover. I find this recording better than your Castles Made of Sand... which one are you using as a Berklee audition tape? Also, how long have you been playing?
what is the music theory and what does it teach you, like scales, solos, and to build speed???

Check out my recordings
Last edited by Viruk at Jun 27, 2006,
Quote by mishra
very awesome, but sounds just a tad little bit flangey. other than that it sounds spot on.

lol, i didn't use a flanger... but i know what you mean. i forgot to use the compresser on my effects board until roughly 3:00 in... sounds a little too thin.. i also used a tremelo effect to try and mimick his whammy bar, but that was only for the fist minute or so.

Quote by Viruk
Sounds great. How can you get such an authentic sound? Your tone is very close, especially since you're using a Gibson. You nailed the sound, especially around 3:25 and on. Very good cover. I find this recording better than your Castles Made of Sand... which one are you using as a Berklee audition tape? Also, how long have you been playing?

thanks! i didn't think it was that close to stevies tone, but i was happy with they way it sounded.. i run my LP through a line6 guitar port which really can give some great tones.. the reason it sounds better after 3:25 is (like i said above) because i forgot to compress what i was playing (gives it much more sustain and beefs it up a little)

I'm using both for my audition.. they wanted three pieces so i also threw in my sultans of swing cover.. not the greatest but i had to in order to make the cutoff date...

been playing for 5 1/2 years.. actually probably like 5 3/4 but w/e