If I have a progression in C, should I solo over it in A Natural Minor being that that is the 6th, (the relative minor?) and because in modes the A Aeolian is in the key of C.... assuming I want a minor sound?
Your 5th fret A pentatonic/aeolian scale should work fine.

Tell me if you want to know some intense theory about why you're wrong in calling it A Aeolian (not that it really matters).
Because A Aeolian would be different cos itd be in terms of the A major scale and actually be (the way im saying it) the F# Aeolian? just a guess lol, it should be C aeolian?

I mean C's Aeolian not A's aeolian <-- if that makes sense
Quote by matth05
Because A Aeolian would be different cos itd be in terms of the A major scale and actually be (the way im saying it) the F# Aeolian? just a guess lol, it should be C aeolian? I mean C's Aeolian not A's aeolian <-- if that makes sense
No, it's because bangoodcharlote has created a theory in which the only thing that matters in naming modes is the chord over which modal tones are being played.
All things are difficult before they are easy.
- Dr. Thomas Fuller (British physician, 1654-1734)
Quote by Freepower
For everything you need to know - gpb0216.
No no no, playing what you think of as A Aeolian will work fine as long as you are tasteful and pay attention to what you're just playing.

Just forget it. You probably don't want to know this kind of thing yet. If you really want to, look at some of the other mode threads on the first two pages and look for my posts.

Quote by gpb0216
No, it's because bangoodcharlote has created a theory in which the only thing that matters in naming modes is the chord over which modal tones are being played.
It would actually be the theory that has been in existance for a long time that Deffy, Cor, Redwing and people like that believe to be true, but we can go with me inventing the theory!
Quote by bangoodcharlote
No no no, playing what you think of as A Aeolian will work fine as long as you are tasteful and pay attention to what you're just playing.

Just forget it. You probably don't want to know this kind of thing yet. If you really want to, look at some of the other mode threads on the first two pages and look for my posts.

It would actually be the theory that has been in existance for a long time that Deffy, Cor, Redwing and people like that believe to be true, but we can go with me inventing the theory!

I do actually lol can you elaborate here please? lol
Quote by matth05
I do actually lol can you elaborate here please? lol
If you play any of the following notes over a C major chord, you are playing C Ionian, regardless of where you play the notes, even if they are played in an area of the guitar where you would normally think of it as A Aeolian: C D E F G A B. That's probably the simpliest I can make it.

Edit: Look at these links for several of my rants on the subject. Just to warn you, these go into modes of various scales.

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=382562

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=365292

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=380403&page=1&pp=20
Last edited by bangoodcharlote at Jun 25, 2006,