Ok so as some of you may know I am the proud owner of an Ashdown Mag 300 head and Ashdown 4x10 "Deep" cabinet.

My problem is the head is rated at 4ohms and the cab is 8ohms. So my head isn't running to it's full potential. (I think that's how it works)

Either way I want a new cabinet.

So I was looking at the Ashdwon 2x10 Deep cab which is rated at 8ohms also (8ohms + 8ohms= 4ohms right?) It is rated at 200 Watts.

My quesition is, if I run my head through both cabs would the head be too much for the 2x10? I never turn my master volume up past half and my VU hardly ever sees the red.

I was also looking at the GK 2x10 which is a little cheaper, also handles 200 watts and is rated at 8ohms.

To make a long post short...would a 200 watt 2x10 be able to handle the power?

Thanks a bunch.
-Fender Deluxe Active P-bass (60th anniversary)
-Peavey T-40 (1982)
-Hartke HA-3500
-Aguilar GS 2x12
-GK Backline 2x10
It'd be fine if you dont crank it above 2/3.

You might want to look into a 400 watt cabinet to stay safe.
Member of UG's Keyboardists club. PM 4string-tsurigi to join.

Jimbo Wallace of the Godlike, Archaic, But Sexy Instrument Players. PM me to join.
I would but I'm looking for a cheaper cab, not a major addition to my rig. Just something to balance out he Ohm-age and give me a little more volume. (and to be honest...I miss the stack)
-Peavey T-40 (1982)
-Hartke HA-3500
-Aguilar GS 2x12
-GK Backline 2x10
is the 4x10 200W aswell? i think you would get the full 300W from the head when you connect a second cab, but i dont know the side effects of too many watts in the head. anyone care to explain?
Cort lover of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join.
On cheating in a relationship...

Quote by metaldud536
If he doesn't use a gameshark, it's not cheating.

I'm a non-regular regular old user.
The 4x10 is rated at 450 Watts according to Musiciansfriend.
-Peavey T-40 (1982)
-Hartke HA-3500
-Aguilar GS 2x12
-GK Backline 2x10
well, i wouldn't risk it. i dont think a 200W would work (blow maybe?)

Quote by metaldud536

450 watts at the wrondg impedence.

There has to be some kind of converter for that.

Jimbo Wallace of the Godlike, Archaic, But Sexy Instrument Players. PM me to join.
Well the thing is when I had my GK Backline 115 I wrote GK and asked what size cab (in term of watts) and the tech said at least a 90 watt cab and he though I had the newer Backline series which is rated at 175 watts.
-Peavey T-40 (1982)
-Hartke HA-3500
-Aguilar GS 2x12
-GK Backline 2x10
dude, thats for microphones. it won't make 8 ohms into 4 ohms....

Quote by metaldud536

Oops, wrong thing

Its the concept that matters.

What he needs is called an impedence matcher.

and ones for an amplified signal get expensive

I have no idea what metalstillsucks is talking about...What wrong impedance?...Impedence measuring device for microphones?

Anyways, I think you're overestimating your amp head hatebreed219...yes it DOES push 300watts of power at 4ohms but this does not mean it pushes 300watts into both 8ohm cabs...It means that since you have two 8ohm cabs wired in parallel than the impedence will be 4ohms and when the head pours power into a 4ohm load it distributes 300 watts of power...So if you had one 4ohm cab then your head will power all 300 watts into that one cab and if you have two 8ohm cabs then the head will distribute the 300 watts of power into the cabs but not 300 watts into each cab...See what I'm saying?...I'm not sure if the power is evenly or unevenly distributed among the two cabs but I'm pretty sure the head doesnt power 300 watts into each cab so none of the cabs is at risk and seeing as how you dont push your head to loud volumes than there's even less risk of blowing the 2x10...Even if you run at full power/volume the 2x10 probably wont blow because 200W is the continuos power rating (I assume) and most (if not all) speakers/woofers in cabs can handle a peak power that is at least twice as much as their RMS (continuous) power handling...but not for long...

In short, dont worry about overpowering the 2x10.

I'm pretty sure this info is correct but if its wrong I'm sure someone can correct me..
"All matter is merely energy condensed into a slow vibration and we're all one consciousness experiencing ourselves subjectively, theres no such thing as death, life is just a dream and we're the imagination of ourselves."
Last edited by XeNoCiDe730 at Jun 25, 2006,
Its a converter to get the ohms (ohms=IMPEDENCE!) going out of the head (4) and into the cab (8) to be the same.

I understand that an ohm is the unit of measure for impedence I just didnt know what you were talking about...but now I do...
"All matter is merely energy condensed into a slow vibration and we're all one consciousness experiencing ourselves subjectively, theres no such thing as death, life is just a dream and we're the imagination of ourselves."
Thanks everyone, especially Xenocide, I'm gonna start saving up for a 2x10. Now, what do you guys think? GK or keep everything matching and get the Ashdown?
-Peavey T-40 (1982)
-Hartke HA-3500
-Aguilar GS 2x12
-GK Backline 2x10
Metalstillsucks: That won't work for this application. The impedence of the cab is not going to change unless you rewire it internally. And that's not the way amplifiers work. The cabinet is the thing with the relevant impedence - the amplifier is just rated for a certain power based on the impedence of the cabinet(s).

Xenocide's got it all right. The power will be evenly distributed. 150W + 150W

HOWEVER, I suggest you don't get a 2x10. If you do, you're putting uneven power into the cabs, on a power/speaker basis. I'd get a 1x15 or another 4x10.
Computer programmers are loopy.
- That's one of my own!
listen to xenocide, the wattage get's evenly devided over the two cabs. you'll push the 2x10 a bit more to it's limits but i think he can handle it.

metalstillsucks: i don't think there's an easy way to match the impedance to a cab. a convertor doesn't work here because the output is already behind the power amp. so you need a transformer that can handle that power or a new power amp, but both are to expensive
LIke I said:

In theory, it would work, but a step-up impedence matcher will be very expensive.

Probably better to just go with the new cab.

Quote by hatebreed219
Thanks everyone, especially Xenocide, I'm gonna start saving up for a 2x10. Now, what do you guys think? GK or keep everything matching and get the Ashdown?

No problem, mate.

As for the cabinet, just take your amp head (and preferably your bass) to the store and try out both cabs if you can...Thats what I do when buying a new cab...

But like Junkstuff said, I would at least consider a 1x15 cab to add more lowend but I dont know exactly why uneven powering to the cabs on a speaker basis would be a problem...I understand what hes saying (powering 150W to 4 speakers in the 4x10 cab and powering 150W into 2 speakers in the 2x10 cab is uneven power distribution to each speaker) but this wont overpower the 2x10 and wont put it at risk of being blown so I dont think this will be a problem...Theres probably more to it than that though, I'm not sure...
Thank's for everything guys.
-Peavey T-40 (1982)
-Hartke HA-3500
-Aguilar GS 2x12
-GK Backline 2x10