Poll: What guitar do you reccomend? (READ post first!)
Poll Options
View poll results: What guitar do you reccomend? (READ post first!)
Les Paul Studio
5 7%
Les Paul Classic
12 16%
Les Paul Standard
31 42%
Gibson SG
17 23%
other (specify below)
8 11%
Voters: 73.
Page 1 of 2
So, as my sig so passionately communicates, i want to buy a Les Paul-ish object at the end of summer. . .

But I have a tinge of doubt. . .

I play rock, mostly AC/DC, the White Stripes, Hendrix, Clapton, Dylan, velvet underground, Led Zeppelin, Radiohead. . . You get the idea. . . (I also occasionally sin and play green day. . . )

I'm wondering, should i get a Les Paul, (it will probably be a used studio, or maybe a standard depending on money) or are there other suggestions you have, would an SG be good for me, and would it be able to do what a Paul does? I'm shallow, and am pretty set against epiphone. I'm just looking for something stronger, and beefier than my stratocaster (which i LOVE). . .

Please, discuss, suggest, argue, flame, percolate, etc. . .
Gibson SG Standard
Fender 52 RI Telecaster
'77 Deluxe Reverb
Sunface w/ SunDial
MXR Carbon Copy
Crybaby

Quote by Sid McCall
Epic win. He speaks the truth, boys and girls.

Founder of the Neutral Milk Hotel club PM to join~
For what you play, the SG and Les Paul are a toss up for me. You'll get a deeper tone out of the LP (bluesy), but the SG tends to match the tone of a lot of those bands.
K, im gonna wait for some more opinions but thanks, i love how i have to vote before i can see the results LOL.

What are your thoughts about used standards?
Gibson SG Standard
Fender 52 RI Telecaster
'77 Deluxe Reverb
Sunface w/ SunDial
MXR Carbon Copy
Crybaby

Quote by Sid McCall

the LP standard is a great guitar, but it's pretty highly priced, if you want a les paul shaped guitar, but not necessarily a gibson you could always check out ESP, their LTD EC-1000 model is an awesome alternative, there are 2 versions for the EC1000, one with EMG 81(B)/EMG 60(N) active pickups, and one with seymour duncans (JB at bridge, and 59' at neck), the EC is much lighter than the LP, has 2 volume knobs, and one tone knob, and it has 24 frets (compared to 22 on LP), for more info go here:
http://www.espguitars.com/guitars_deluxe.html
yeah theres absolutley nothing wrong with epiphone. Only difference is they're not made in america. I have an epi LP black beauty and it souns amazing.
I know I'm an ignorant ass, but i know myself too well, and in 2 years ill be looking at the epiphone logo and getting all depressed . . .
Gibson SG Standard
Fender 52 RI Telecaster
'77 Deluxe Reverb
Sunface w/ SunDial
MXR Carbon Copy
Crybaby

Quote by Sid McCall

LP Studio, man. Same guitar as the Standard, but cheaper (and no flame top, but same quality, same sound)
Yeah, I'm undecided as to whether I want a natural finish or a solid color (gold top would be nice, but i might want white, or a sunburst. . . i smell a new poll)

^^ and i know everyone says that, but they have different humbuckers, and the studio has no binding . . .so???
Gibson SG Standard
Fender 52 RI Telecaster
'77 Deluxe Reverb
Sunface w/ SunDial
MXR Carbon Copy
Crybaby

Quote by Sid McCall

I love my studio. If you get one, and decide you don't like the tone, you can always exchange the pick ups.
^So change the humbuckers. Binding is just a line of paint/plastic around the guitar, it does nothing to the tone.
Doesn't the binding cover the edges of the frets though?
Gibson SG Standard
Fender 52 RI Telecaster
'77 Deluxe Reverb
Sunface w/ SunDial
MXR Carbon Copy
Crybaby

Quote by Sid McCall

No... that's neck binding. And it STILL makes no difference to sound OR playability.
Quote by Danno13
No... that's neck binding.

I'm pretty sure the two go together. . .

But yeah. . .
Gibson SG Standard
Fender 52 RI Telecaster
'77 Deluxe Reverb
Sunface w/ SunDial
MXR Carbon Copy
Crybaby

Quote by Sid McCall

Quote by Danno13
No... that's neck binding. And it STILL makes no difference to sound OR playability.

oats knows his stuff
The Sg is not that bad of a choice, can play anything you want to and will keep its tuning
Call me Sean
Quote by Nilpferdkoenig
He's just trying to protect our innocence.

Yes i am
Quote by :Vicious--

Your flirting powers are incredible.

Gear:
Schecter S1 Elite Black Cherry (Soapbar Neck, Invader Bridge)
Schecter Banshee
Orange Dual Terror
Boss CE-5
Goatkeeper
^? what? do sgs have tremolos? or is tuning a problem on les pauls?
Gibson SG Standard
Fender 52 RI Telecaster
'77 Deluxe Reverb
Sunface w/ SunDial
MXR Carbon Copy
Crybaby

Quote by Sid McCall

Les Pauls have pretty bad tuners stock, they need replacing.

SGs sometimes come with Maestro vibrola trems, but they're really just fancy Bigsbys.
Buy a Paul Reed Smith (PRS). They are soooo much better than Gibson Les Pauls and SGs. By this I mean sound, quality, and feel. Some good PRS models are the McCarty, Custom 22, Custom 24. My favorite is the Custom 24. I have the Custom 24 Ten-Top 20th Anniversary guitar and its absolutely the best guitar I have played so far.
I have a Les Paul Standard (with some modifications, though : ) -pickups and finish are different on mine) but that guitar is the ****. I love it to death. If I was dying from hunger, with no way to make money but sell that guitar, I would play that Les Paul while I slowly starved to death.
Originally Posted by Lemoninfluence
he shoved a pole up the lads arse.

he didn't bumshag him.
Well with the LP standard you will get those wonderful burstbucker pickups. The only gibson pickups that imo sound good clean (the 57' classics are alright but a little too dark which equals muddiness)

The LP Classic is good too. It wont have as good clean but it's hotter pickups will mean it will push your amp into more overdrive.

I don't recommend the Studio at all. Studios are pretty lame. Also lame clean.

The SG standard is imo the worst on that list. It's clean is the worst on the list. It has the best upper fret access of any non neck thru guitar I have ever played and it's also one of hte lightest guitars you can get.

You can always change the pickups though.

If I were you I would buy a LP Classic because then you would get the better wood and binding that the studio lacks and then change the pickups to the burstbucker 2 and 3 (pretty much same output as the 498r and 500t set)
Quote by call1800ksmyazz
Buy a Paul Reed Smith (PRS). They are soooo much better than Gibson Les Pauls and SGs. By this I mean sound, quality, and feel. Some good PRS models are the McCarty, Custom 22, Custom 24. My favorite is the Custom 24. I have the Custom 24 Ten-Top 20th Anniversary guitar and its absolutely the best guitar I have played so far.

PRS is so overpriced. If you wanted to upgrade to gold hardware it's anywhere between 150-300 dollars so ridiculous.

They also sold out read about them here http://www.edromanguitars.com/compare/prs_prs.htm
Quote by Ihearthetfield
PRS is so overpriced. If you wanted to upgrade to gold hardware it's anywhere between 150-300 dollars so ridiculous.

They also sold out read about them here http://www.edromanguitars.com/compare/prs_prs.htm

You think PRS are overpriced? Yes they are, but you cant say that without saying Gibsons are overpriced too. At least PRS sound and feel better than Gibson most Gibsons. Have you even ever played a PRS? If so what kind?
I perfer the classic. I also came to believe the output on the pickups were somewhat better than what was on the standard. is this true or just crap?
^^What is your definition of better? the guy above said they were hotter, but the standard costs more so?

Also, try not to turn this into a PRS vs Gibson thread, I think I'd rather buy a classic (a gibson, not the model (still undecided)) now, and wait to get something newer like a PRS, and aren't PRS more close in shape and sound to my stratocaster?

And what would the world be like if Jimmy played a PRS, I mean, come on. . .
I picked up an SG last night, and I didn't really like the feel of it, it was everything I disliked about my fender X100.
Gibson SG Standard
Fender 52 RI Telecaster
'77 Deluxe Reverb
Sunface w/ SunDial
MXR Carbon Copy
Crybaby

Quote by Sid McCall

i do love gibsons especially the les paul but the prices are crazy i sometimes think your paying for the name as much as the guitar it self id say check out the fernndes ravelle awsome bang for your buck very high quality les paul style guitar and they look cool as F*$!, i play one through a marshall and it kicks a$$
Used standard. If you like the classic get it but the ceramic pickups really kill the cleans and the inlays are kind of greenish, so I don't like it as much as a standard. Plus, it's easier to find a cheaper used standard as they've been around longer.
^thanks, i believe it will all come down to standard vs classic, I will be buying from my man Dennis in newark DE (he has like 500 guitars in a little shack on the corner!) and it will depend on what he has, it should run me a little over 1g for a standard from him. . .

I can't wait!

What is everyones opinion on color? Some of the standard bursts look butt uglky (gecko anyone?)
Gibson SG Standard
Fender 52 RI Telecaster
'77 Deluxe Reverb
Sunface w/ SunDial
MXR Carbon Copy
Crybaby

Quote by Sid McCall

Give me some love here people!
Gibson SG Standard
Fender 52 RI Telecaster
'77 Deluxe Reverb
Sunface w/ SunDial
MXR Carbon Copy
Crybaby

Quote by Sid McCall

Quote by call1800ksmyazz
You think PRS are overpriced? Yes they are, but you cant say that without saying Gibsons are overpriced too. At least PRS sound and feel better than Gibson most Gibsons. Have you even ever played a PRS? If so what kind?
I played a Custom 24 and it was lighter than the paul and also had a lot more versatility due to the coil tapping

BUT it lacked the Dark creamy tone the les paul had it had a very bright tone and when I turned the bass up then it got muddy

nothing gets darker and dirtier than a les paul
lps are nice and theres a wider variety
but they are also very heavey cause they are solid mahogany
they also hard to play sitting down with it on your leg
the body isn't the same as alot of guitars so its kinda hard to play

an sg is well ballanced from to back and it sits on your leg like an acoustic does

if your useing it in studio get you an sg
you can also get a bluesey sound out of an sg
you just gatta work with the tones to get what you like
Angus-
2010 Gibson SG Honeyburst
I'm a musician, a composer, and a theory nut. Pleased to meet you! Check out my websites and drop me a line.

"The essence of all beautiful art, all great art, is gratitude. " ~ Freidrich Nietzche

My Website
There are lots of reasons why people prefer PRS or Gibson or Strat or whatever but the main reason is personal: looks or tone or feel or whatever. Good Luck with your purchase, after your research and auditions of the various models, I'm betting you won't be disappointed with your Gibson, whether the extra $$$ is going to the brand name or whatever. Years from now, it'll be "I'm glad I bought this Gibson, now, I need to get a PRS or a Strat or an SG, etc."
I have an epi LP standard and just put some D'addario 11 gauge strings and it sounds like a beaut and only for 500
Quote by Angusman60
lps are nice and theres a wider variety
but they are also very heavey cause they are solid mahogany
they also hard to play sitting down with it on your leg
the body isn't the same as alot of guitars so its kinda hard to play

an sg is well ballanced from to back and it sits on your leg like an acoustic does

if your useing it in studio get you an sg
you can also get a bluesey sound out of an sg
you just gatta work with the tones to get what you like
Angus-

Les Pauls are more comfortable to me sitting down. The SGs are neck heavy so they always lean down toward the neck.

I think most people find that Les Pauls are uncomfortable sitting because they are so heavy. I personally find it to be more balanced.
when i played a les paul, i didnt like it atall, just didnt feel right, i duno the strings are very narrow to together
Page 1 of 2