I understand the basic theory of triads, so lets move on to inversions. I wanna question this because I feel its wrong and it whether i'm wrong or right would help me to move on.

My music theory book states that this E minor is in first inversion.

e ---x---
B ---x---
G ---4---
D ---2--- <---E is the root note.
A ---x---
E ---3---

Root position, root note is in bass. First inversion, root goes to highest note and the 3rd is in the bass, and second inversion the 5th is in the bass and 3rd takes the place of highest note. That's my understand. According to that, this E minor triad should be second inversion, correct? Thanks in advance.
Crit 4 Crit:
Melodic Death--Broken Mortal
Melodic Death--Lost in the Wind
Thrash--Inner Demons

Quote by societies_worm
the sad thing is not only is this guy a dumbass, but he is going to get more replies than i ever have, but thats is funny too
I dont think thats right

Root: Root in bass
1st: Root 6th above bass
2nd: 4th above bass
-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_
2003 American Fender Stratocaster
2005 Schechter C-1 Blackjack
'62 Fender Twin Reverb
Marshall JCM800
2002 Fender Fretless Jazzbass
CryBaby Wah
Line 6 POD XT Live

"My student SLEPT with your honor student"
regular E minor with E as the lowest note = regular non inverted triad

G as the lowest note = first inversion

B as the lowest note = second inversion
Okay, understood. But I thought the triad, once inverted, was to 'roll over' itself. That the note in bass was to become the highest note and the other two notes were to slide down. Is what I'm saying correct, but I'm just not quite grasping this? Obviously, I've recently just begun theory. Thank you for the patience.
Crit 4 Crit:
Thrash--Inner Demons

Quote by societies_worm
the sad thing is not only is this guy a dumbass, but he is going to get more replies than i ever have, but thats is funny too
Quote by seljer
regular E minor with E as the lowest note = regular non inverted triad

G as the lowest note = first inversion

B as the lowest note = second inversion
This is correct. The only thing that matters when identifying inversions is the bass note. The other chord tones can appear in any order whatsoever without changing the inversion's ID.
All things are difficult before they are easy.
- Dr. Thomas Fuller (British physician, 1654-1734)
Quote by Freepower
For everything you need to know - gpb0216.
Where are you learning theory?
-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_
2003 American Fender Stratocaster
2005 Schechter C-1 Blackjack
'62 Fender Twin Reverb
Marshall JCM800
2002 Fender Fretless Jazzbass
CryBaby Wah
Line 6 POD XT Live

"My student SLEPT with your honor student"
Quote by gpb0216
This is correct. The only thing that matters when identifying inversions is the bass note. The other chord tones can appear in any order whatsoever without changing the inversion's ID.

Aye aye, captain, lol. Thank you, that finally cleared it up. I was thinking with each inversion, that the other two notes were to be in a certain order. Thank you.
Crit 4 Crit:
Thrash--Inner Demons

Quote by societies_worm