i'm looking at getting a mic to record guitar/bass amps. would one of these be good at recording anything else? how bad would it be at recording things like, voice, piano, percussion? i was reading about mics and remember a recommendation of one that cost $80. it said you shouldn't be fooled by the price, that this is really similar to more high end ones. i was thinking it was a shure mic, but that could very well be wrong. what are your recommedations for such a mic around $100?
^ that was most likely the shure SM57, which is a great mic for amps. the thing is built like a tank and sounds good. it works for stuff like voice and piano, but you arent going to get as good a sound as if you used a condensor mic. it can be used for certain aspects of a drum kit, like it is good for the snare and possibly the kick, but you wont want it for overheads. basicly, it is a good first mic if you are recording mostly your amp and occasionaly other things. if you are mostly doing voice, acoustic guitar or something similar, you probably want to look for a condensor mic.
Yea sm57
Member #5 of the I <3 Schecter's Club-PM Schecter-06 to join
"Member of the Guitarists that wished they could sing because they would make fantastic frontmen club"-Pm Davidian to join
what condensor mics would you recommend for about $150? i'm look at the shure mic (http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Shure-SM57-InstrumentVocal-Mic?sku=270102) and one review says that it has no built-in pop blocker. what does that mean? how could i make up for this? i intend to plug the mic directly into my laptop and record that way. would there be any problem with this? i'm thinking i'll need to buy two 'converters' to get the right input. i've gone to radioshack and gotten help finding these. the guy there was asking if it was ok that they would be mono. is there any reason i'd need it to be in stereo if i'm just recording one track at a time? would this setup in conjunction with the program 'audacity' be a good one for doing decent recordings?