The drummer in our band asked if i as the guitarist could try some different styles next time we played. He said it would be cool jam to or write songs with these following flavors (for lack of a better word)

Oriental Egyptian African

I found some different scales for the first two but i think in order to get the right sound you need to play the scales in a certain way so my first question is how can i get oriental (chineese japaneese) and egyptian sounds out of my guitar? Are there certain chords or progressions that work best?

My second question is does anyone have a good lesson for Soukous guitar style?

Thanks
Gear

Soon to have Carvin California Carved Top
Fender MIM Strat (Warthog, Spotlight, Condor)
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
VOX Valetronix Combo
Boss ME-50
Alvarez Acoustic
the harmonic minor has a very middle eastern sound to it because of its minor 3rd and minor 6th and its major 7th

it sounds dope for egyptian music
Ah

Ha
thanks guys if anyone else has more tips please leave them
Gear

Epiphone Les Paul Custom
VOX Valetronix Combo
Boss ME-50
Alvarez Acoustic
try and find tabs for any songs you like why has some exotic sounding licks in it, try holy wars by megadeth, theres a cool break in it you would like.
For some more scales:
the phrygian mode, maybe the lydian too
dominant phrygian (which is basically a mode of the harmonic minor)/spanish gypsy/a bunch of other names for it

Don't be afraid to try some weird time signatures too (11/8 or something crazy like that)
yer the phrigian dominant would work well...

it gives a spanishy sound if you play it over I-bII progression

say in the key of E phrigian dominant....playing Emaj and then Fmaj..whilst soloing in the key...makes it sound real spanishy..

you could probably get an egyptian sound out of it really easily tho
Last edited by quinny1089 at Jun 26, 2006,
sweet thanks guys, looks like i have some work to do
Gear

Epiphone Les Paul Custom
VOX Valetronix Combo
Boss ME-50
Alvarez Acoustic