I just ran across them in some tabs I was trying to play...
Quote by Cthulhu Dawn
A great renewal growls at hand
And only when they're running
Will they come to understand...

So ends the pitiful reign of man
Tremelo picking is picking one note then another really fast. Mute note could either refer to a palm mute or a muffled string.
"There's Jimmy Page, one of the biggest thieves of American black music to ever walk the Earth."
Tremolo picking is picking a note/s on one string really fast, by picking up and down rather fast.

Mute notes can either be marked as -x- on the tabs, and that just means to lay a finger on that string anywhere (except for frets 5, 7, 9, 12, and 18, for they are harmonics) and pick/strum the string(s). If it's Palm muting, then you lay your palm just before the bridge, and pcik while your palm is there, thus creating a sort of 'muffled' sound.

JM
President of the Guitarists Born In 1991 Club. PM blues rocker or I to join

Quote by RadioHead22
I love you greendayguitar
In a non- gay, awkward-man-hug way
With tremolo picking, there is not normally a set number of times you hit the string. Just really fast until the note value is complete. Also tremolo picking motion comes more from your elbow that standard alternate picking would.
Quote by Chromeproguitar
i like my women like my tea..hot
aww hat sucked

"The good thing about music is when it hits you, you feel no pain." -Bob Marley
^yes, you're not playing an actual phrase of notes (i.e. semiquavers, semiquaver triplets, etc) you're just playing as fast as you can on one pitch until the music says so.

and mute notes could either mean muffling the note (meaning it does not ring) or palm muting, whereby you rest you palm on the bridge touching the ends of the strings so they have a bit less bite when played.
Quote by T.S.R.
what?
if i were a midget...id go masturbate in public because...hey, im a midget and i can get away with anything

Quote by yawn
I heard Hitler was a pretty good guitarist back in his day...

Quote by guitar?
You're a towel.