after playing guitar for a while, i want to start writting my own music, not any lyrics write now just guitar stuff. I want to go for a dark sound using both power chords and fretting, any tips?
We spent a lifetime on the
Beaches of Normandy in vain

Quote by poopsmith666
oooh look at me, i'm clincher, internet tough guy

Quote by theBaartMan
When Nostradamus predicted badassery, he spoke of clincher09.

<//////> ~

UG's NIN fan club
a dark sound? maybe start with your tone first maybe play detuned a little more low end then usual. writing wise ummm i dunno try using a Locrian scale. if you want dark i mean in olden days that scale was banned because it was aparently evil.
thanks for the tip but i what i meant was when trying to write music should i just play random notes until a combo sounds good or acutally pre plan what i want it to sound like and then play it out?

Quote by poopsmith666

Quote by theBaartMan

<//////> ~

UG's NIN fan club
As far as evil sounding stuff if you use a lot of tritones it will sound evil, tritone is 6 semitones from the root note

a 6 8
e 5 7 and so on, plus playing in the key of f seems to have a darker tone, but it also depends on how play and your rhy. sections
and no i dont mean darker as in evil i meant darker just as in the tone of the song i dont want a blink 182 sound i want a chevelle/soundgarden/tool sound

Quote by poopsmith666

Quote by theBaartMan

<//////> ~

UG's NIN fan club
turn out the lights, everything will be darker

in all seriousness, i would say that sticking more with the lower strings would be a good idea. i also think that having multiple guitars going at once helps give a heavy sound, especially if one is repeated or held power chords. this just helps lend that full sound that a lot of heavy bands have. i also think that a moderate tempo can sound heavier than a really fast one, but then again im sure a lot of metal heads will disagree with me there.
i agree wid jof on doubling the guitars up. dark sounds use lots of uneasy chord changes abd slower tempos. avoid any fifth chord changes. heres one i jst thought up - D5 A#5 G5 G5. i mean thts lame bt yu get the idea.
diminished scales and arpeggios...listen to children of bodom you'll see why, they use it a lot, especially in the solos (dim7 arps)

oh, and for a darker "sound", tune down to drop C and mess with some augmented 4th/diminished 5th intervals, they tend to give a very evil sound...
Quote by BigFatSandwich
it took you 15 consecutive hours of practice to realize that playing guitar makes you better at playing guitar. congratulations.

Quote by Sharp_as_steel
Axe_grinder pwns!!!!

Member #2 of the "Official UG Teabaggers' Cult". PM Slayer224 to join.
Last edited by axe_grinder247 at Jun 26, 2006,
he says sound garden, not children of bodom so doing thats going from "my house if on fire" the "the world is ending". Yeah, thats how bodom get their sound. iif u wanna sound like soundgarden and tool play their songs and see what they use