I just finished my Marshall BluesBreaker pedal build and it turned out great. (The link is in my sig. and sound clips will be posted tomarrow). What should my next pedal build be? I was thinking maybe a chorus or phaser would be cool but im not sure. A different overdrive may be cool too though, but I dont want to build something that would be close to the BlueBreaker sound (bluesy, punchy single coil overdrive ). Any suggestions at all are welcomed though.
Quote by Fast_Bear
A sustainer/digital compressor? D:

And try getting some books and learning how to desing your own pedal!

Yea i was thinking about a sustainer. Whats a good one? Or a few good ones so I can find one I like.

I really want to design a pedal but I wouldnt know where to start. Do you know any websites that actually give information on different parts, what sounds they are used for, what to connect each to, etc. so i could invent my own.
Actually it's FAR more than that! I suggest you go to a library and get electrican books! Liek how transistors, sustainers, capacaters, coils, and other parts work. So you can have a VERY accurate understanding of how they work.

http://geofex.com/ But here is a decent website to learn. Not ALL the information is given though....

And an analouge sustainer is turning one of the pickups into a coneless speaker to vibrate the strings, with an amplifier hooked up to it receiving signal from the output before the volume.
tremolo! at least I've got 2 PCBs for the tremulus lune project fron tonepad.com here in front of me ...and a PCB for a Big Muff, a Ross Compressor and a MXR Blue Box
and...

other than that I'm going to try a phaser when I finish all this stuff
probably a phase 45 or phase 90....or a univibe (well the John Hollis EasyVibe since its simpler)

I think the small stone uses some slightly obscure part, can't remeber any more. But I ordered something like 24f JFETs for the Phase 45/90 (since you have to match them so it works correctly...and you can use them for other things as well )
Quote by seljer
probably a phase 45 or phase 90....or a univibe (well the John Hollis EasyVibe since its simpler)

I think the small stone uses some slightly obscure part, can't remeber any more. But I ordered something like 24f JFETs for the Phase 45/90 (since you have to match them so it works correctly...and you can use them for other things as well )

I guess I wont be building the Phase since you need to buy all of those JFETs and match when I wouldnt even know where to start . The Univibe sounds cool. Maybe the univibe or a chorus would be good. You recommended the EasyVibe for the Univibe, but what are some good chorus pedals to build? Small clone? Any others?
Chorus pedals are also rather tricky, as the ones you can build by yourself without trouble are the old analog ones which use out-of-date parts such as bucket brigade chips (which usually go for something like $7 each these days if you can find them...though the various guitar-effect-oriented electronics sellers like smallbear have them).
I'd reccomend you make a PCB for one if you do attempt one.

Theres also the Boss CE2 which I plan on making one day, as well as the John Hollis Zombie Chorus.

though matching the transistors is not that hard of a thing to do you can't avoid getting into stuff like that when building effect pedals: http://geofex.com/Article_Folders/fetmatch/fetmatch.htm
Last edited by seljer at Jun 26, 2006,
I am looking at the layout for the John Hollis Omnidrive. It looks awsome with how versitile it is. What do you think about building this pedal? It doesnt look that hard.
Ok I have decided on my build. But im not going to let anyone know what it is yet until I get the parts and begin the build. Its a suprise. But I do have a question about it... It is going to be about 4 different boards in one so I need a layout to show how to use 1 input, 1 output, 1 bypass, and 1 rotary switch to switch between each. That_Pink_Queen, you may be able to help me. Anyone else is welcome though. If this idea doesnt work though, I have a solution to do it another way, but this will be easier.
you want to switch between 4 different effects in the same box?
a 3x4 rotary switch will be able to that.

only use 2 of the sections, take the main lugs to input and output, then with the other ones get it to switch between teh different effects you have

though you can get into cooler more complicated stuff if you want other types of switching systems
seljer, can you draw a layout/diagram for me. i am still confuzed about how to do this. i like the rotary switch idea though so im going to use that. do they sell rotary switches on Small Bear Electronics?

Thanks so much seljer for helping with this stuff.
Here you go. This will allow you to choose between 4 different effects with a rotary switch (with indicator LEDs too). Only one effect at a time though.

with 3x4 rotary switch (3 poles, 4 positions). Smallbear's site isn't workign for me right now but I'm pretty sure they should have them

you could use regular stomp switches if you want to have just a regular line of multiple effects in one box
Attachments:
4wayrotarybypass.jpg
Last edited by seljer at Jun 27, 2006,
if each of the effects are the same you can easily rig up switche to switch indivudal things things on just one effect for lots of tweakability. Or replace resistors with potentiometers

http://www.beavisaudio.com/techpages/Switches/ (some examples on how to do this at the bottom)
Last edited by seljer at Jun 27, 2006,
Quote by call1800ksmyazz
can I substitute an internal trimpot (10k) for an external pot (10k) so I can adjust when I want to.

Yep.

However the result may not be exactly pretty if its for something like the bias trimpot (however I do sometimes wish that I had a bias pot for my Fuzzface so I could demonstrate to people how ****ty the thing sounds when its misbiased...I need to make myself an Ampeg Scrambler for some sonic deconstruction)