iv been trying to figure out these things forever but i dont understand it, i know there just cords that you sweep each note blah blah but all the lessons here dont explain it good enough for my tiny brain to comprehend (iv read them all)

now if you would like to assist me befor i murder someone in frustation visist this page because i want you to explain me some things

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/lessons/guitar_techniques/playing_arpeggios_fast_part_2_-_what_to_practice.html

now the first example that guy gives is the cord A major and im looking at that cord in a cord book right now and it consists of 5 notes, what i dont understand is where all those other notes come from, if you coudl explain that it woudl be great

ok now that i know that ^ (once youv explained it to me) im wondering uhhg this is even more confusing i dont even know what im asking but i need to know how to figure out how to take that and use it in a solo???? i just need to know how to like.............well im wondering if lets say i want to use A major and sweep it ummmm would that only work with a song in like a A key or could i move it to fit in another AND how would i figure out what key its in then? woudl that be a root note? how do i find that

yeah i dont know wtf im talking about i hope you understood and can help me.......thanks
Last edited by Loser_86 at Jun 26, 2006,
ok look your overcomplicating the **** out of this arpeggios are constructed teh same way that chords are only alot of the time there made using a scale because the cord isent limited to the strings you can hold down at once you need to just spend a week er so trying to get down an example or a part of a tab perfect and download some sort of video explanation those are always great so yeah good luck
how do you make a arpeggio out of a scale i thoguht they were chords, im more confused now
jalksdhja;osdjgaosdja just learn how to play the ****ers see what sounds good with what and go from there and learn the theory behind it later i wasent saying it was constructed of scales i was saying it doesent have to be a strict chord form because you can do finger patterns that are imosible to play with a regular chord
i just want to understand them now not after i can play them, "playing them and seeing what sounds good with what" doesnt help me sorry im just realy pissed off i cant understand
Let me try to explain...

So you know that Arpeggios are single notes picked on a chord form, but it's actually a little different.

I'll use the D Chord as an example... Or better yet how about your A Chord.

A Arpeggio
||||A||E||A||C#|A||
E:--------------0--
B:-----------2-----
G:--------2--------
D:-----2-----------
A:--0--------------
E:-----------------

But an arpeggio is not simply those notes played one by one, they must be played in order. What I mean by order is like A-A#-B-C-C#-D-D#-E-F-F#-G-G# is the Guitar's Alphabet, They must be played in order from A-To-G# Which is actually A-To-C#in this case... Ok just incase your getting confused I'll go ahead and put the A Arpeggio in order for you.

(Be reminded, however, that your still ONLY using the notes of the arpeggio, were not adding any new notes, Notice the notes I have put at the top, So in the A, were looking for A-C#-E In that order)

A Arpeggio (Position 1)
||||A||C#|E||A||C#|E|
E:-----------------0-
B:--------------2----
G:-----------2-------
D:--------2----------
A:--0--4-------------
E:-------------------

An arpeggio is all of the note possibilities of a chord played individually in a particular area of the neck. And Area being 4 frets from the starting fret, That being position 1 because your index finger frets fret #1 so your middle finger covers #2, Ring to #3 and pinky to #4.

Now record yourself playing an A Major 3 Chord progression (A-D-E7)
Just incase you don't know what E7 is, here it is. (It's like C without the ring finger and with the Low E included)
E:--0--
B:--1--
G:--0--
D:--2--
A:--0--
E:--0--

And once you have that recorded try playing the A Arpeggio over it, mix it up a bit though, you can easy play the arpeggio with a jazz type style, if you want some examples, sent me a Private message and I can help you more in Yahoo Messenger. Thanks!
Last edited by fragydig529 at Jun 26, 2006,
Alright now I'll tell what is going on.
First of all what is an arppegio? An arpeggio are 3 notes of a major or minor scale. Ok, I hope you know those scales. Now, to construct the arpeggio take the first (root) note, the third and the fifth note of the minor or major scale. If you play them one after one you just played an arpeggio.

Now let's see some examples. We want to play the A minor arpeggio. The notes of the
A minor scale are: A--B--C--D--E--F--G. Now, as I said take the first, third and fifth note. They are A--C--E, so this the A-minor arpeggio. If you want to construct the major arpeggio just take the major scale and take again the first-third and fifth note.

Tips: it would sound nice if you play an arpeggio in more than one octave:A--C--E--A--C--E. You can also play them as chords (they are actually chords). Another way to play them is with tapping (Van Halen's Eruption has an A-minor arpeeggio tapping lick as intro) or with sweeping (Glenn Tipton's Painkiller solo has an F# asrpeggio sweeping lick at the beginning).

If you have any questions let me know.
just to make it easy for u ARPEGGIOS r broken chords notes that u play them seperately at different octaves.

if a G Major chord consists of the notes G, B and D then it's arpeggios:

e|------------------7(B)-----|
B|--------------8(G)---------|
G|----------7(D)-------------|
D|------9(B)-----------------|
A|-10(G)---------------------|
E|---------------------------|

the same G Major arpeggio in another octave:

e|-------------3(G)-7(B)---------------|
B|------------3(D)---------------------|
G|-----------4(B)----------------------|
D|----------5(G)-----------------------|
A|---------5(D)------------------------|
E|-3(G)-7(B)---------------------------|

i guess u had it sticked in your mind or else i can't help u .
Quote by Jimi Hendrix
The Blues Is Easy To Play But Hard To Feel.

Quote by Chris Impellitteri
I Promise That My Solos Will Only Get Faster.
[Practice Makes Perfect][Hell Yeah]
Last edited by Evil_Empire24-7 at Jun 26, 2006,
1-3-5-7 of a scale make a chord if played at the same time, if picked individually an arpeggio i think, u'd probably wanna check that with somebody tho
Quote by weez13
1-3-5-7 of a scale make a chord if played at the same time, if picked individually an arpeggio i think, u'd probably wanna check that with somebody tho

You're thinking of Maj 7. chords. The simplest 'true' chords either use the formula 1 3 5 or 1 b3 5 and they're known as triads
I would like to add to this.

We know that a basic arpeggio is playing(individually) the three notes that make up a chord.

We know that there are many places on the fretboard where these notes can be found.

Playing an arpeggio is all about playing these notes over the matching chord. You know, theres an A minor chord being played in the back ground, this is your time to play an A minor arp. You can find these 3 notes in many places, its your job to choose which and where to choose from.

So A minor is A C E, now go find A C E on your guitar. Now find A C E in a different place on your guitar, and do it again.

When the chord changes to a different chord, it is time to change your arp. to match the new chord.
epic7734