coming out of it. a white, black, green, and red. I used to do all of my own wiring way back in the day and i know that i had this pickup working in this guitar before. the hotrail was taken out and replaced with a single coil, and i'm now puting it back in. It was originally wired for series. anyway, i followed the schematics on sd's website but when it's all done, it barely has any volume what so ever. my other pickup in the guitar works fine.

but

the schematics are generic, and they show the 4 wires and where they go to, but then there's a bare wire which this one doesn't have. they aren't even wrapped in an outter housing, with the shielding.

now, my working pickup, a regular double coil has the outter housing with the shielding and the bare wire. but the bare wire isn't attached to anything. but it still works fine.

any thoughts?
Quote by Fast_Bear
Ground it anyways? *shrug*

Maybe while handling it one of the solderings got warn down? Or the coils somehow got damaged? Or maybe you got it wired out of phase by accedent?

hmmm, isn't the bare wire the ground? which my hotrail doesn't have. but there's a ground wire going from my volume knob to the plate which the tremolo-tension springs hook onto, on the back of the guitar. the coils are encased in clear tape and don't look damaged.

How would i have wired it out of phase?

I think i'm gonna get a new volume pot because there is a mountain of solder built up on the back of it.
OHHH
I misread.. <_<

A 4 conducter pickup has 2 coil and and 2 coil beginning wires. If you have both coil outs or coil ins it si out of phaze. If you have 1 coil out and 1 coil in as ground, (And 1 coil out and 1 coil in as hot) it is in phaze.

In phaze sounds liek any other humbucker. Out of phaze makes a super single coil sound with more background fuzz and most of the bass cut out!
Quote by Fast_Bear
OHHH
I misread.. <_<

A 4 conducter pickup has 2 coil and and 2 coil beginning wires. If you have both coil outs or coil ins it si out of phaze. If you have 1 coil out and 1 coil in as ground, (And 1 coil out and 1 coil in as hot) it is in phaze.

In phaze sounds liek any other humbucker. Out of phaze makes a super single coil sound with more background fuzz and most of the bass cut out!

the red and white wires are connected together. the black and green wires are going to the electronics. back 10+ years ago, this pickup was working in this guitar.

eh, i'll take it in to see the doctor.