Page 1 of 2
gazzillions...

sorry,
Quote by tubab0y
Look at it this way- everyone rags on air guitar here because everyone can play guitar. If we were on a lawn mower forum, air guitar would be okay and they would ridicule air mowing.

Zakk Wylde, I consider him shred.
WHY IS EVERYONE IN THE PIT A FUCKING METALCORE KID
matt heafy???
Quote by tubab0y
Look at it this way- everyone rags on air guitar here because everyone can play guitar. If we were on a lawn mower forum, air guitar would be okay and they would ridicule air mowing.

^ HERETIC! lol. joking. Yea, i never imagined Les Paul's as being the best for shreding cause its so hard to fit a trem to it. Unless it was mayb a flat top.
neal schon has a customized LP wid floyd rose and i think a slimmer neck...

LP's are naturally not built for metal...

and metal's where the most shreds are...

am i right?
Quote by tubab0y

Erm Zakk Wylde?

EDIT: Van Halen,
Looking to buy a Fender Jagstang, u sellin?
Quote by km-r
matt heafy???

He's not shredder.

Quote by km-r

and metal's where the most shreds are...

am i right?

No, you're not. There are alot of shredder in other genres too. Such as jazz/fusion, rock, even with acoustics.
^^

Shred is usually reserved for metal, there's a fine line between shred and flamenco...Shred is in metal exclusively IMO.
Ibanez Prestige RG1570 ftw!
Meh. I'd say there's a lot of guitarists in Spain who could out-shred nearly any metalhead.
Quote by redaxe
^^

Shred is usually reserved for metal, there's a fine line between shred and flamenco...Shred is in metal exclusively IMO.

Bull****.
He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt.
He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would fully suffice.

Remember: A prudent question is one half of wisdom.

Click.
How bout' some evidence proving otherwise smartass?
I agree it does sound cool, cept it's not called "shred"...
Quote by redaxe
I agree it does sound cool, cept it's not called "shred"...

Says who?

Do me a favor and shut up, you obviously haven't a clue what you're on about.

It's a style, not a genre, dimwit.
He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt.
He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would fully suffice.

Remember: A prudent question is one half of wisdom.

Click.
kirk hammet
you cant spell manslaughter without laughter

Quote by ACG
I like my women how I like my cookies. Smothered in diarrhea.
ME!!!!!!!!!! lol, kidding, but there are heaps of great shredders who use les pauls, just not many famous guys.
Quote by Half_Full
[IMG]http://img166.imageshack.us/img166/5971/uselessko5.gif[/IMG]

My Gear:
-Epiphone Les Paul Standard plus -honeyburst with Duncan Jb/59
-Crate gt65
-Boss ME-50
Future gear:
-Vox AC30 cc2
Yeah well FYI the ****ing style is called flamenco. When did I imply it was a genre of music? wtf stop being an ignorant prat. You could have made a sensible response rather than saying "bull****"...wtf man? Aren't you a mod or something with your name in green and stuff??? PM me if you want to continue this but if i were you id just stfu and save us both the trouble.
Last edited by redaxe at Jun 26, 2006,
Quote by tard on tour
kirk hammet

I believe that's called pentatonic wanking

Oh and redaxe, just chill dude, a board is a place where you express your views, and respect others. If others don't respect yours, just leave em. Hate multiplies Hate.
randy rhoads,zakk wylde,kirk hammett, and yes i know hes not shred but slash can get pretty darn fast if he wants to
Quote by Soma3009
I came up with this kick ass riff on my ukelele when I was 12. Find out two years later, it was smoke on the water. Got my hopes and dreams killed..

Quote by saintjimmy99
you used the right form of "their!" i commend you sir!

Several points - the Les Paul was obviously not designed for metal and shredding, since metal obviously didn't exist in 1952. Shredding guitars (superstrats with thin necks and locking trems) were designed in the 80s in order to accomodate this new style of playing. But by no means does this mean you can't shred on a Les Paul. A good guitarist can shred on a Squier Strat.

The 'shred' terminology is usually associated with hard rock and metal guitarist. Explosive, fast soloing is nothing new. It's been present in many other forms of music such as classical, jazz, bluegrass, and other ethnic styles such as flamenco. However, none of them include the use of heavily distorted guitars and gutteral wails, screams and harmonics found in what I would consider shredding. To me, that's what shredding is.

That being said, I've seen guys tearing up the fretboard on nylon string classical guitars in ways that would make most modern-day shredders cry like little girls. I know some guy in a bluegrass band that play INSANELY fast music. A guy I work with plays mandolin for that bluegrass band and even his mando playing is insanely fast and complex. I don't like bluegrass, but man, these guys can tear up their intruments. I don't consider it shredding in the same sense, but man, there are some seriously talented guitarist out there that have nothing to do with rock music.
Guitars: Custom Lado Earth 2000-3, Custom ESP Explorer, BC Rich KKV, Gibson LP Studio, Greco SG, El Degas Stratocaster, Agile AL-3000, LTD EX-351

Rig:Marshall JVM410H + Marshall 1960A, Boss Noise Suppressor
Quote by redaxe
Yeah well FYI the ****ing style is called flamenco. When did I imply it was a genre of music? wtf stop being an ignorant prat. You could have made a sensible response rather than saying "bull****"...wtf man? Aren't you a mod or something with your name in green and stuff??? PM me if you want to continue this but if i were you id just stfu and save us both the trouble.

He's the mod of the SHRED forum, he knows more about this than you, now please shut the hell up.
My name is Tom, feel free to use it.
He may know more than me but thats not an excuse to act like dipsh!t...
Quote by redaxe
He may know more than me but thats not an excuse to act like dipsh!t...

still gives you no reason to be an asshole
Hmm...mod ass kissing seems like a trend around here. Hes a mod, so he must be right, right?
Well, Mod's are in general picked for their knowledge on the subject/sexual favours to other mods, and when watching over a forum all day, you'd be sure to pick up some knowledge either way.
Quote by redaxe
How bout' some evidence proving otherwise smartass?

How about he bans you?
That's right. Shut up.
Slash
Schecter C-1 Classic (Antique Amber)
Ibanez JEM 7VWH
Crate Palamino Class A tube combo
Digitech RP80 Multieffects pedal
Ibanez TS9 DX Tube Screamer
Hmm ok this is my last post in this thread, I guess no one respects the fact that I said "IMO" in my post, which stands for In my opinion. If the big scary mod with the green name who can ban me doesn't like that then I dont give a damn but it's a my opinion. I come to this forum to share my opinion on guitars and such and if idiots cant live with the fact that I perhaps have a different opinion than them then tough. Deal
oh my, all this discussion about shred...
I don't even like real shredders...that's IMO of course

on-topic : I think shredding is possible on a LP...why wouldn't it be?
I played a Gibson ES-335 once, and there's no doubt that the tone and the sustain and singing highs that can come from it can be used for shred, however, the necks are no Wizard IIIs , they're sticky and fat. That guy from Godsmack shreds a bit and uses a (nice) black LP
Why did Pat Metheney cross the road? He didn't, his hair got in the way
--
Member #1 of Ibanez > You club. PM me to join
Yngwee or however you spell it, as well as Eric Johnson have used ES-335s in their careers at some point or another, and and ES 335's neck is about the same as that of a Les Paul.
Quote by Bazilisck311
Slash

as much as i love Slash, he doesnt shred, he can play fast, but he doesnt shred
Quote by Scutchington
I like this guy, he's UG's Greek, and he just told your ass in two paragraphs. And I once spent 5 minutes watching his avatar.

A Brain Malfunction

We'll Never Admit As Defeat
Quote by Danno13
Meh. I'd say there's a lot of guitarists in Spain who could out-shred nearly any metalhead.

as well as a lot of bluegrass pickers
Quote by MusicManFan
Dude who mention Halen, he dont use a les paul so ye

*cough* *hack*
Page 1 of 2