So, im a guitarist (i've been playing for awhile now), and im very much interested in getting into the bass and starting to do my own thang on it. Now, really I dont know much about Bass', and the whole amp thing. I've been playing my dads '70s G&L through a Bassman 20 as of now, but I want my own thing.

As for the music im most into, well I like a lot of different stuff. But my roots and loves lie with the Blues, Soul, Jazz, and Funk. Primarily, I want to get my funk out with this bass, and get the whole slapping thing down. Im really into Marcus Miller 'n whatnot.

Firstly, what bass is best for me to pick up for myself? Im not looking at spending a whole lot of money, but around $400, tops. I heard some things about the SX bass' off of Rondo being great, especially for the money. What do you guys think? I was looking at this beast:
http://www.rondomusic.net/sjb62ct.html
And then get a case 'n whatnot. I've heard great things about Agile and everything Rondo, so really I have no worries ordering online with no play from there.
Other than that, I was looking at a Jazz, but those are fairly expensive even for a Mexi. What do you guys think about the SX, and what are some other reccomendations?

Amp-wise, its really not an issue right now. Im happy using my dad's Bassman 20 with the BP80 he's got too. But I really would like my own sometime down the line, so what do you reccomend on that level? Cause I really no nothing about bass amps. You know what im interested in 'n all that. Price range, I dont really know. Not too bad, I guess. Used or new would work.

And what about strings 'n such? I dont know jack about them either, although I dont think there's much difference from the guitar in that area. I want to do a lot of slapping, but still have a nice rhythm touch too. I use .11's on my guitars, so I like them thick I guess. But I also read somewhere that lighter strings are better for slapping 'n such, but I dont really know. So what do you good people think?

Other than that, I just have one last question. I really am not interested in starting lessons, because I already have a good knowledge of music theory 'n whatnot from playing guitar for as long as I have. But I really dont know much bass playing-wise, and I would like to learn how to slap 'n whatnot properly. So do you guys have any good book/video reccomendations? Or any quick beginner lessons for me, even?
No issues with using my fingers, cause thats basically all I use when playing a 6-string too, thanks to mr. Mark Knopfler. Although I did hear something about a special way to place your right hand, or something?

Sorry for so much, thats just the way I am.

Thanks for all the help,
Nate.
Last edited by WyldeGibsonPlyr at Jun 26, 2006,
Well I'm not a big gear head so I can't help ya on the equipement, but frankly I can't stand the hand rest plate over the strings. I know Schecter and Fender make some nice basses for the Slap, but you might be looking completely elsewhere.

For slap, you have two techniques, and no book can really help, its all hands on. Later you can learn techniques to improve playing of course.

1 technique, place your thump parallel to the E string, then quickly strike the string (It should be hitting the string at the left side of your thumbs tip, assuming your right handed). Using the left hand you can control the length of the note, and the right hand can add more rhythm.

Imagine just having a 2x4 piece of wood and you wanted to play a drum rhythm just by tapping with the side of your thumb.

The other method is similar, except your thumb comes in at a 45 degree angle, so that your wrist is parallel with your bridge.

And then to pop (Very funkalicious) just place your index finger under the D or G string (finger bent.. like your scratching), fret anywhere (Try on octave above the note slapped) and quickly pull up, letting the finger roll around the string but pulling it up.

Don't over think it though, it becomes very natural with a little practice

Hope I helped in any amount, I just went from Bass and picked up guitar, and its impressive to see a non-bassist who knows who Marcus Miller is these days lol.
Archdeacon of the Church of Zeppelinism
PM TheHeartbreaker to join

Highway One Telecaster (Upgrade)
Laney 30 Watt Combo
Boss ME-50 FX

horazonblade, you are one of the reasonable/intelligent people on this forum... - JewMasatFlex
Quote by horazonblade
For slap, you have two techniques, and no book can really help, its all hands on. Later you can learn techniques to improve playing of course.

Actually, there's three techniques, if you count Victor Wooten thumping as slap.
Quote by Bumper
A 70's G&L? Did that company even exist in the 70's?

I belive so, I mean Leo sold Fender in the early-mid '60's, so. I think its a late '70's, or more likely an early '80s American G&L.

Anyway, I think I have the slap down, or a good feel for it to say the least. Any other tips, not just slap bassed, are helpful as well.

Still needing help on the Gear decision though. Should I shoot for a Mexi Jazz, or go for one the SX's?

Also, can someone explain to me the whole pickup situation, and the various kinds you can have in the bass world? I think its just like guitar, with humbucker and single coil, but I could be wrong. So if I could get all the info on that stuff, it would be wonderful.

Thanks.
Quote by WyldeGibsonPlyr
I belive so, I mean Leo sold Fender in the early-mid '60's, so. I think its a late '70's, or more likely an early '80s American G&L.

Anyway, I think I have the slap down, or a good feel for it to say the least. Any other tips, not just slap bassed, are helpful as well.

Still needing help on the Gear decision though. Should I shoot for a Mexi Jazz, or go for one the SX's?

Also, can someone explain to me the whole pickup situation, and the various kinds you can have in the bass world? I think its just like guitar, with humbucker and single coil, but I could be wrong. So if I could get all the info on that stuff, it would be wonderful.

Thanks.

those SX basses are gaining popularity, and iv'e spoken to professinals, teachers, etc.. and they give good feedback on them, if you live near NJ go in there and try it out..
You see, I dont live near there. I live in Minnesota, which is a long ways away. But i've heard all wonderful things about the Agile Guitars they stock there, and also good things about the SX Bass'. And i've heard they have a great customer support, so I really have no issues ordering with no play first.

Im just trying to figure out whats best, for one in my position, to get. What do you guys think of Stagg Basses? There's interesting looking used one at a Music Go Round here, and I really dont know jack about that company, other than that they make copies. I've heard the name, just dont know a whole lot.
^ When you're buying anyhting cheap, quality control sucks, so I wouldn't buy it without playing it first. (about Agile/SX)

As for Stagg, there isn't much info out there about them. They seem to make baseline guitars/basses with nothing that's pro quality.

I have a Stagg Fusion, it's a 24 fret J style bass with an active preamp. It's tuning stability is great, and the intonation is spot on aroudn the neck now that I've set it up. It plays well, and it sounds good for it's price. It's been reliable for me, the only problem is that the pickup blend knob is reversed, I think tha'ts the same on all of them. You can get used to it or reverse the leads to make it right. No biggie. All in all, the bass looks and plays great, and sounds decent. (For it's price mind you, I'm not comparing it to $2000 basses.)

But having said all that, I wouldn't reccommend Stagg at all. Thier quality control is horrible. My store got a shipment of them in, and I got them to open up all six of the basses in the finish I liked. Only mine was decent, the rest were pretty bad, so I got lucky on that one.
"You can practice to attain knowledge, but you can't practice to attain wisdom." - Herbie Hancock
honestly, even if the SX basses are spectacular, i wouldnt trust the low end ones. i'd try for the high $150+ atleast if i had to. but me personally i'd just go for a mexi fender. i've tried one more than once and they're very nice instruments. i'd suggest saving up just a bit more and go with somethign proven reliable. SX hasnt yet proven itself to mainstream musicians, and its the equivalent to underground punk bands. i wouldnt be surprised tho if they gain lots of popularity in the future, and eventually bought out.

as long as your content with ur dad's bassman for now, then worry about an amp later. however if u need ur own amp, then i'd suggest the SX and a fender rumble 60. which would total just a bit over 400. the rumble has a great tone but not so much volume, but should do well for band practices, definatey not gigs. the tone of the rumble will make up for the SX.

as for pick ups. there are 3 major types in the bass world, the single coils (often referred to as jazz pickups), the split single coil - something unique and original to basses, and the humbucker. jazz pickups tend to come in pairs to cancel hum, and give a smooth warm sorta flow to ur basslines, lots of tone control. split single are usualy on their own and give a strong attack, best for punk and metal, however i've seen Flea use a fender p-bass (which uses the split single coil). and lastly the humbucker, a strong attack with still good tone control, and like the guitar humbucker, can sound "dull" at times.

as for slap. horazonblade has it mostly right. just make sure it rings out well, and to focus on the slap more than the pop. once u start recording the slap, if not done correctly, will stick out like 7 sore thumbs.

lastly, bass finger style isnt really the same as guitar finger style. my ex-guitarist was a pretty damn good finger style guitarist, but on bass it wasn't odd for him. ur rest ur thumb on usually the neck pickup, or E string or bridge pick up depending on wats more comfortable, and pick alternating index middle. as opposed to the thumb playing the E, A, and D strings, and the index middle and ring playing the G, b, e strings.

sorry for the long winded post, more information more useful, just forget what you don't need.