Yallo!
I was just wondering if it will work to play a bass through a guitaramp, and in that case, will the sound be any good at all?

Thanks
It'll sound crappy, no bottom end and there's a fair chance you'll blow the speaker. Guitar amps just aren't built to take the super low frequencies of a bass guitar
you'll blow the speaker at higher volumes, its easier to just buy a bass amp.
Cort lover of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join.
On cheating in a relationship...

Quote by metaldud536
If he doesn't use a gameshark, it's not cheating.

I'm a non-regular regular old user.
bass amps aren't that much more expensive...

Quote by metaldud536

Got any tips for a decent amp that will do for recording? No gigging or so...
for just recording? you could get a basspod thing. not sure who makes them

Quote by metaldud536

dude i play bass on my guitar amp and its all working out. Mine is a practice amp so it takes high volume as well. I also own a bass pod for recording etc. But it will be better if you are a session musician or a gigger to buy a basspod. But for a begginer a guitar amp would be fine.
Quote by soad_malakian
dude i play bass on my guitar amp and its all working out. Mine is a practice amp so it takes high volume as well. I also own a bass pod for recording etc. But it will be better if you are a session musician or a gigger to buy a basspod. But for a begginer a guitar amp would be fine.

exactly. used a fender 15g frontman amp for aaaages with my bass until i got a bass amp, and its still perfectly fine. Not a bad tone for bedroom practice either
Quote by Dogruitag
i think he wants to dream theater to be considered more metal, so he dyed his beard.

Quote by LookAlive
Lmfao, this is the best thread ever, aside from the fact that it involves a girl being harpooned through a tent.
Someone should really make a sticky of one of these threads one day...
Quote by TiMaRmStRoNg101
there was once this girl
in my school
and she was like
'greenday is so punk'

and i was all
omgelitist
'fawkofffffffffff'
and punched her in the face.
cause i can do that
cause I know more about punk rock and stuff
Quote by Invictious
explosion will occur

thats bullshit.
Quote by Dogruitag
i think he wants to dream theater to be considered more metal, so he dyed his beard.

Quote by LookAlive
Lmfao, this is the best thread ever, aside from the fact that it involves a girl being harpooned through a tent.
Quote by Invictious
explosion will occur

Thats usually only in a Behringer.

But then again, plug anything into a Behringer, and it will explode.

Big, high wattage guitar amps, such as a Marshall (Jack Bruce) can handle bass quite well.
Member of UG's Keyboardists club. PM 4string-tsurigi to join.

Jimbo Wallace of the Godlike, Archaic, But Sexy Instrument Players. PM me to join.
I wouldn't recommend it, gets my sis's guitar amp feedbacking like crazy and I swear I smelt burning electronics
it works just dont crank the volume i have a cheap RMSG12 12 watta and i can use my fernandes bass on it
Member #17 of the RHCP & John Frusciante UG fanclub

Member #52 of the Fender Armada
It Is Imperative U Never Put Bass Thru A Guitar Amp Ty!
President is Man
Josh is Man
JOSH IS PRESIDENT

When a famous boxer from the 20's was asked "What do you think about Shakespeare?", he replied, "I'll moida' da' bum!"
A lot of bassists use high wattage guitar amps/cabs in their live rigs. For practice and whatnot, as long as you don't crank the volume you're fine. I used some old 60 watt 2x10 combo guitar amp for months at band practice and it never blew.
-Fender Deluxe Active P-bass (60th anniversary)
-Peavey T-40 (1982)
-Hartke HA-3500
-Aguilar GS 2x12
-GK Backline 2x10
It won't blow. That is major bull****. It WILL sound ****ing awful, distorted and have no low end (due to the settings adjusting only to GUITAR frequencies) but basically there is no major difference between a cheap bass amp and a cheap guitar amp.
mine didnt blow till i turned it up all the way
Arrghh

Quote by fftl=love
why is everyone so ****ing mean on this website?
would it damage the amp if played at low volumes?
Epiphone les paul custom
Epiphone les paul 56' reissue goldtop
Custom Telecaster
Boss ME-50
Digitech flanger
Digitech Hot Head
Marshall MG100DFX

Unmarked P-bass
Johnson J-style
Aria STB jazzbass
Fender Rumble 100
Quote by trio fan
would it damage the amp if played at low volumes?

NO FOR ****'S SAKE
Quote by Dogruitag

Quote by LookAlive
Quote by Yevaud
It won't blow. That is major bull****.

Wanna bet? Do you know anything about speaker design? Do you know the difference between a speaker made for a guitar cab and a speaker made for a bass cab?

It's not the AMP that blows, it's the speaker.

Honestly, i do wish people would shut the up if they dont know what they are going on about..
Quote by Applehead
Wanna bet? Do you know anything about speaker design? Do you know the difference between a speaker made for a guitar cab and a speaker made for a bass cab?

It's not the AMP that blows, it's the speaker.

Honestly, i do wish people would shut the up if they dont know what they are going on about..

i'd like to have bet a few years ago when i started bass and used my Fender 15g frontman for a year and a half with no problems at all.
Quote by Dogruitag

Quote by LookAlive
^ Did you turn it up as loud as your turned your guitar up?

This discussion is so boring..

Low levels: fine.
Loud levels: speaker goes boom.

got it yet everyone?!

Excellent.
Quote by Applehead

got it yet everyone?!

Excellent.

i fancy another bet. That there will be at least another one of these threads in the next week.

and technically the speaker wouldn't go boom, it'd sorta go bzzzzzzzzzprprrp.
Quote by Dogruitag

Quote by LookAlive
I know it literally doesnt go boom like a bomb does. It was for effect !

This is why we need the FAQ up quickly ! It seems only bassbitch has bothered to write some answers up. I will do some this weekend, just a bit busy at the moment..

got it yet everyone?!

Excellent.

^ this needs to be put under a sticky called "Bass through guitar amp"

That i s untail the FAQ is up.
M374L

Quote by happytimeharry
This is why I'm proud to be an American. Keep your free health care. We get free boxes...

Quickstrike of the Predacons Beast Wars Club
PM NightmareXT To Join!

Bass Militia's Resident Viking PM jazz_rock_feel