Is it possible to convert a normal guitar neck, to a neck that is multiple scale...
IE, the bass side is 25.5" scale, but the treble is 24.75"

I assume the neck would have to be as long as the largest scale, but if I had a 25.5" Warmoth neck, could I defret it and make a custom neck like that?

(I got the idea from one of Rusty Cooley's guitars...)
[Founder of the Ibanez S players club.] Pm Me to Join
Hmm, if you through enough money and effort I am damn sure it's possable! but it will be ALOT of hard work! D: And you will have to be very intimate with you fretting and measuring tools I imagine to keep the intonation all accurate!
Of course, and I would also have to make a custom bridge.
But It IS Possible???

If so, I believe I have found a good project for me...
It's possible... You would need to defrett the whole thing, fill the slots and the refret and you would have to make sure that the long scale is no longer than the original scale of the neck.

There are 3 potential problems I can see with doing this.

1 is that you are going to have to reposition your bridge and if you guitar has a trem then that means you are going to have to fill the hole and rerout.

2 is that the lines from where the frets used to be are still going to be visible so if you look at your fretboard when you play, then it might throw you off.

3 is that it could be difficult cutting new slots that partialy overlop the old ones. It could cause the fretblard to crack and chip if you are not carful. If might be easier to buy a whole new fretboard and put that on your old neck. Novax sells preslotted fretboard. for something like $200 or you can make it yourself for about $20 but if he finds out you made it and didn't pay him he will sue you. Man I hate that Novax guy.
Not taking any online orders.
Ok,
This has grasped my mind now...
I will draw up plans 2morrow..
But I am pretty sure I am going to make it seven string.
and I am considering making it from scratch...
Peace
Ill be back with my plans!!!
D: Unless you want teh strings to be all squished together, or you have a ****ing wideass neck, I suggest you also concider some serious modfication to your neck or just getting a new one and routing for a wider pocket...
Nah...
This is a hardcore custom Idea now...
I have this idea for a bridge that slides
for different scales..
Oh crap...
I just ran into a problem...
Hmm
I have lots of thinking to do....

Question..
Would it be possible to have a bridge that adjusts for differnet scale lengths?
or would that f*** the tuning tooo much

edit:
NVm.
i think i'm just going to go with a seven string build
Last edited by Striketalonx at Jun 26, 2006,
There's an old Rickenbacker that had slanted frets; you could have all the frets slanted and the nut, getting more slanted up to the nut

if you know what i mean
Quote by Striketalonx
Nah...
This is a hardcore custom Idea now...
I have this idea for a bridge that slides
for different scales..
Oh crap...
I just ran into a problem...
Hmm
I have lots of thinking to do....

Question..
Would it be possible to have a bridge that adjusts for differnet scale lengths?
or would that f*** the tuning tooo much

edit:
NVm.
i think i'm just going to go with a seven string build

You mean just a 7 string with no fanned frets? The fanned fret ideas is perfect for a 7 string.

As for the moving bridge idea, Your best bet is a tuneomatic style except unless you plan on having 2 different necks that you can swap back and forthe (wich isn't a bad idea) then having a moveable bridge is kind of pointless.
Quote by CorduroyEW
It's possible... You would need to defrett the whole thing, fill the slots and the refret and you would have to make sure that the long scale is no longer than the original scale of the neck.

1 is that you are going to have to reposition your bridge and if you guitar has a trem then that means you are going to have to fill the hole and rerout.

2 is that the lines from where the frets used to be are still going to be visible so if you look at your fretboard when you play, then it might throw you off.

3 is that it could be difficult cutting new slots that partialy overlop the old ones. It could cause the fretblard to crack and chip if you are not carful. If might be easier to buy a whole new fretboard and put that on your old neck. Novax sells preslotted fretboard. for something like $200 or you can make it yourself for about $20 but if he finds out you made it and didn't pay him he will sue you. Man I hate that Novax guy.

He can sue you even if you make it for yourself?
Do some research on "fanned frets." There was a guy on here a couple years ago (they post is probably long gone) who actually did this.
"The most important thing is to learn how to play the guitar before you get 50,000 dollars worth of complicated gear" -Slash

Not a member of any clubs. Don't PM me.
Quote by CorduroyEW

That's slightly silly. I doubt anyone can sue you for making a fretted fingerboard.
EH

"Show me war; show me pestilence; show me the blood-red hands of retribution..."
He came up with the idea and design of the fanned fretboard and he got a pattent on it (I assume). He can EASILY sue you if you ever try to make a profit off of it, although making one for your self is easier to get away with.
"The most important thing is to learn how to play the guitar before you get 50,000 dollars worth of complicated gear" -Slash

Not a member of any clubs. Don't PM me.
oh sorry I thaught you just meant a fretted fingerboard. That would be ridiculous.
EH

"Show me war; show me pestilence; show me the blood-red hands of retribution..."
Quote by mnbaseball91
He came up with the idea and design of the fanned fretboard and he got a pattent on it (I assume). He can EASILY sue you if you ever try to make a profit off of it, although making one for your self is easier to get away with.

Technically he can sue you even if you make it for yourself and he has been known to do it but you are right that it is difficult for him to know if you are not selling it. The guy didn't even come up with the idea himself. He copied it from old classical guitars but because he was the 1st one to apply for a patent that uses it for steel string guitars he actually got the patent even though it's an old idea. It is only a US patent so if you are outside the US when you make it and you don't sell it within the US then you are safe. I have actually talked to this guy and traded emails with him and he is truly a jackass. I'm hoping somebody challenges his patent in court so he can?t take any more money that he didn't earn but luthiers never have enough money to take a guy like this on.
Ok,
I shall go to the drawing board.
I am going to make a Bolt-On seven string..
Then after I prove (to my parents) that i can make a guitar
I will build another neck that has fanned frets,
and i will design that bridge that would work with a normal and fanned fretboard

in case some1 wanted a rough idea of what "fanned" frets are.

more commonly seen on basses btw. as are a lot of "out of the ordinary" guitar things. (ie fretless, more strings than the standard etc.)
i just saw keller williams live the other day, and he had a guitar/bass combo with changing scale lenghts. awesome guitar. his was just carved out of one huge piece of wood. real natural looking. absolutely awesome.
Quote by Sir-Shoelace
Sir Shoelace is a sexy, sexy man.