I'm curious about the correlation between gain and distortion. My amp doesn't have a gain knob, and I'm wondering if I could subsititute gain with a distortion pedal. For example, when people are given tone settings for a specific artist, such as...

Treble - 7
Mid - 3
Bass - 8
Gain - 4

Since I don't have a gain knob, could I set my level of distortion (through a pedal) to 4 and achieve the same results?

Also, if someone could point me to a site with a nice, in-depth look at effects and whatnot (not just what they sound like, but how to utilise them and get good sound/tone), it would be great. I've been on the lookout for a site like this for a while, but I've come up with nothing.

Thanks in advance!
Actual amount of gain the gain control gives you differs from amp to amp so in the end, you just have got go with what sounds right as far as the amount of distortion goes.
So distortion and gain give the same effect, just at different settings?

Love your avatar, by the way.

Lost Vikings FTW!
Quote by Funkeh Muchacho
So distortion and gain give the same effect, just at different settings?

Love your avatar, by the way.

Lost Vikings FTW!

The gain knob controls the amount of distortion. The amount of distortion it gives you is completely different depending on which amp/pedal you're using.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
Just curious - what kind of amp do you have, Funkeh Muchacho? Pretty much all guitar amps have a gain setting, and some cheapo beginner amps will have a Drive control instead, which is the same.
Guitars: Custom Lado Earth 2000-3, Custom ESP Explorer, BC Rich KKV, Gibson LP Studio, Greco SG, El Degas Stratocaster, Agile AL-3000, LTD EX-351

Rig:Marshall JVM410H + Marshall 1960A, Boss Noise Suppressor
Quote by Crunchmeister
Just curious - what kind of amp do you have, Funkeh Muchacho? Pretty much all guitar amps have a gain setting, and some cheapo beginner amps will have a Drive control instead, which is the same.

I use a really old Music Man 212 "Sixty Five", this thing is a relic, but it's a great amp. And no, it doesn't have a gain/drive/distortion knob. It's got built-in reverb and tremolo, though =)