Well I have been playing for about a year and a half now, I know all the rhythm parts, I'm not as fast as I want to be in the verse, and I have a crappy amp, but I can't help that.

What I really want to know is how to even start looking at the fast solo. I looked at it and I can make my fingers stretch far enough I'm just not sure of how to play it, how do I pull off that? I just don't really understand it, I've been searching google video for some tips in slow motion that show how to play it. If anyone here wants to do a slow video of you playing the solo I would appreciate that. I'm just looking for tips, please don't tell me I'm not ready for this song, because I know I am

So yeah... I just need your help on how to do it. Also if anyone has the chords for the part going into the slow solo, I would know how to play if I knew that.

Thanks a lot for any help you can give me.

EDIT:... How am I supposed to play the 24 and 22 without a wammy bar???? Or does that bend just mean play the fret and bend it a lot. So I would just bend it?
Gear:

Crappy Samick Guitar
4x12 Cabinet
Guitar Rig 2
Computer
Peavey Bass
Bass Master 200 Watt bass amp
Last edited by Guitar_Master92 at Jun 26, 2006,
Before I get into Master of Puppets specifics, I'm going to give you a little solo 101. The way my friend taught me to play solos was to look at them one measure at a time. You probably have the song memorized, so you know how the solo is supposed to sound. Take the first measure of the solo and fret it slowly, making sure you use proper fingering (Using all four of your fret hand's fingers), and find the easiest method for you to hit all the notes smoothly. Then build up speed when playing that first measure. Then take the second measure and do the same thing-find the easiest fretting method then play it as it is played on the album. Now join the two measures together. Then just go from there, taking it one measure at a time. You have to pace yourself when learning solos. It is daunting at first, but it gets easier, trust me.

Now for the actual tab. Hopefully you're reading the PowerTab. If not, I suggest you do! PowerTab can be downloaded for free and UG hosts PowerTabs right on their site. It shows you where to bend and where to use the whammy bar. MoP requires both bends and whammy, so for the whammy part you may have to bend it as best you can. The solo is quite easy, mainly consisting of hammer-ons and pull-offs. Build up speed in your fretting hand by practicing the parts you have trouble with. Alternate picking will help you play the faster parts a lot easier, so learn to alternate pick if you haven't already done so. Finally, take it slow, one step at a time. Even if you can't play the whole thing perfectly, memorize the tab. You may find yourself attempting it again in a week or a month and finding the song to be a lot easier than you remembered. Good luck.
Quote by Archon473
Before I get into Master of Puppets specifics, I'm going to give you a little solo 101. The way my friend taught me to play solos was to look at them one measure at a time. You probably have the song memorized, so you know how the solo is supposed to sound. Take the first measure of the solo and fret it slowly, making sure you use proper fingering (Using all four of your fret hand's fingers), and find the easiest method for you to hit all the notes smoothly. Then build up speed when playing that first measure. Then take the second measure and do the same thing-find the easiest fretting method then play it as it is played on the album. Now join the two measures together. Then just go from there, taking it one measure at a time. You have to pace yourself when learning solos. It is daunting at first, but it gets easier, trust me.

Now for the actual tab. Hopefully you're reading the PowerTab. If not, I suggest you do! PowerTab can be downloaded for free and UG hosts PowerTabs right on their site. It shows you where to bend and where to use the whammy bar. MoP requires both bends and whammy, so for the whammy part you may have to bend it as best you can. The solo is quite easy, mainly consisting of hammer-ons and pull-offs. Build up speed in your fretting hand by practicing the parts you have trouble with. Alternate picking will help you play the faster parts a lot easier, so learn to alternate pick if you haven't already done so. Finally, take it slow, one step at a time. Even if you can't play the whole thing perfectly, memorize the tab. You may find yourself attempting it again in a week or a month and finding the song to be a lot easier than you remembered. Good luck.

Thanks a bunch for the help. Yeah I was reading the powertab and I see what you mean. I don't have a wammy bar. I was just wondering though, what fingers do I use for the first measure of it. I can't do that part. Some of the other stuff I can do, just not that first part. I can't even do it at all, not even slow, I guess it's just my style... it's not right.
Gear:

Crappy Samick Guitar
4x12 Cabinet
Guitar Rig 2
Computer
Peavey Bass
Bass Master 200 Watt bass amp
First measure of the end solo? Index on 12 and pinky on 17. Pull off the pinky.
I'm not sure that it's actually how Kirk plays it, but I tap the first part, it's much easier.
JoNo
xXx
The first part is pretty easy if you pull-off cleanly and use economy picking.

Just start off slowly.
Quote by human-blasphamy
Didnt MCR do that song The Gay Parade It went like this
when I was A young boy
My father took me to the bedroom
and told me not to tell
IIRC (been 5-6 years since playing MOP), the 13-12-13 on the B string should start with an upstroke. Then the 12-15-12 or 12-17-12 on the high E should be a downstroke. Makes it much easier.

Start slow and build up your speed.
Fleet of MiJ Ibanez
Couple of Balls
Peavey & EVH Wolfgangs
Eclipse
Fender HM Strat
Kemper KPA
5150 III 50w & cabs