I just bought a Marshall AVT100 in May and seeing all the negative comments towards it on the boards is disheartening. I'm curious as to why no one likes it. In my opinion it was the best sounding amp in the store. Is there a major flaw that I haven't noticed about it, or is there another amp for the same price with a significantly better sound? I'm new to valve amps so I may be missing something, but seeing how I was looking for a metal-sounding combo amp, this amp surely delivers. So, what's so bad about it?
I have one to but its not actually a valve amp it just as a preamp valve in it. It is classed as a hybrid amp. I really like mine but will be upgrading to a proper valve amp soon. Most people who diss it are just jumpin on a bandwagon and have probobly never heard it but say its crap because its not a full valve amp. Its great amp but you cant really beat all valve tone.
i played one. it sucked. i hated it. 'nuff said. i'm not a noob jumping on the band wagon, your a noob who hasn't heard anything better and thinks that its good. trust me once you get a better amp or develop an ear for tone you'll hate it.
I R tr00 Member of UG's Gain \/\/hores - don't pm gpderek09 to join unless you are truly worthy
www.purevolume.com/mordecaiaus
Quote by xifr
There is the possibility that I may have or may or may not have gone or not gone into the danger zone.

Quote by lespaulmarshall
I love you Joel
for metal you should have got a real tube amp!!!! peavey xxx for istance is not a good solid state, (roland cube is great for metal) and is cheap!!! the marshall just sounds thin and weak!!!! sell it and by a real tube amp and you will understand what i am on about!
GEAR

ESP LTD Viper 400 with EMG 81s
Jackson Dinky DXMG with EMG 81/85
Ashdown Fallen Angel 60 DSP
Ashdown Fallen Angel Cab 120W 4X12
Keeley Modded SD-1 Overdrive
Korg DT-10 Tuner
Noise gate (cheap)
EQ (cheap)
Quote by Archon473
I just bought a Marshall AVT100 in May and seeing all the negative comments towards it on the boards is disheartening. I'm curious as to why no one likes it. In my opinion it was the best sounding amp in the store. Is there a major flaw that I haven't noticed about it, or is there another amp for the same price with a significantly better sound? I'm new to valve amps so I may be missing something, but seeing how I was looking for a metal-sounding combo amp, this amp surely delivers. So, what's so bad about it?

My friend has an AVT150 halfstack, and I was over at his house playing it a bit, trying to see if what everyone was saying was true.

1) The AVT does sound a bit sterile, but it's not nearly as bad as an MG.

2) It's a Marshall, of course you can get a better amp for a lower cost. I was just looking at a used 5150, which costs half of what my friend's AVT stack cost and has a far superior tone.

3) The tone it has is okay, but not nearly as good as an all-tube amp. They would make good starter amps if they weren't so expensive, but nothing else.

4) What store were you in? Chances are, there were far better amps in there and you're just absolutely tone-deaf.
Quote by sexyguitargod
peavey xxx for istance is not a good solid state, (roland cube is great for metal) and is cheap!!!

err, the Peavey XXX is a entry level high gain tube amp, some people like it others though others complain it sounds to fuzzy

the Roland Cube is probably the best amp you can get for metal in the sub $350 pricerange
it would seem that the amp that you want is a bogner ubrschall. it'll remove any noob ness from your body.
I R tr00 Member of UG's Gain \/\/hores - don't pm gpderek09 to join unless you are truly worthy
Quote by xifr
There is the possibility that I may have or may or may not have gone or not gone into the danger zone.

Quote by lespaulmarshall
I love you Joel
The AVTs are OK amps. They're certainly not spectacular and you're paying a large premium for that Marshall medallion on the front of the amp. There are much better comparable amps out there for less money.

But bottom line, never mind what people say about it. If YOU find that it's the best for YOUR sound, then there's no need to change it unless you PERSONALLY find something that you like better.
Guitars: Custom Lado Earth 2000-3, Custom ESP Explorer, BC Rich KKV, Gibson LP Studio, Greco SG, El Degas Stratocaster, Agile AL-3000, LTD EX-351

Rig:Marshall JVM410H + Marshall 1960A, Boss Noise Suppressor
I was in a Guitar Center in Harrisburg, PA. I tried every amp in there that had distortion in it and was in my price range, and the AVT100 was my favorite. They didn't have any Mesas with distortion though (The store was kind of small), nor did they have any Rolands. I'm not tone deaf, I just wanted something that suited my needs. I'm sure there are better amps, but I'm ready to pay $1500+ for a half-stack. When I am, I'm sure I won't get another AVT, but for now it's working well. I plan to try out distortion/overdrive pedals soon so I can get a different tone from it, but that's just what I'm looking for.
joel_grieve, this is my first day in the forums so I'm not going to flame, but before you go around calling people you don't know "n00bs" perhaps you should level up your n00b grammar. I could be a far better musician than you and you wouldn't know it. That said, amen Crunchmeister. I like it, but was hoping there'd be a real reason no one else does.
Quote by Archon473
joel_grieve, this is my first day in the forums so I'm not going to flame, but before you go around calling people you don't know "n00bs" perhaps you should level up your n00b grammar. I could be a far better musician than you and you wouldn't know it. That said, amen Crunchmeister. I like it, but was hoping there'd be a real reason no one else does.

^ calling joel a n00b = bad idea
New tracks on my profile! Please check them out and see what you think!
Quote by Archon473

check his sig "Member of UG's Gain \/\/hores"
Quote by Inspired_by_Vai
^ calling joel a n00b = bad idea

Well, the noob comment I don't agree with, but joel's original post was rather condescending. As far as 'noobs' go, Archon473 actually had a very valid question and asked it in a non-Marshall-biased way. Joel's answer with multiple noob labels wasn't really all that helpful.
Guitars: Custom Lado Earth 2000-3, Custom ESP Explorer, BC Rich KKV, Gibson LP Studio, Greco SG, El Degas Stratocaster, Agile AL-3000, LTD EX-351

Quote by Archon473

That one, right there. Ya see it? I do. A double post.

double posting = noob

Therefore joel was right.

As for not liking it....My friend has the head, and ive played through it for hours.

The fan does break, the distortion is thin, and the fx are crappy.
Quote by Crunchmeister
The AVTs are OK amps. They're certainly not spectacular and you're paying a large premium for that Marshall medallion on the front of the amp. There are much better comparable amps out there for less money.

But bottom line, never mind what people say about it. If YOU find that it's the best for YOUR sound, then there's no need to change it unless you PERSONALLY find something that you like better.

agreed.

just to add my own 2 cents though.

I've owned one for about 4/5 years. I really don't like it. Here's why:

(a) the metal channel (OD2) sounds very sterile (without the scoop engaged). It's also very bass-heavy and muddy- it has no definition whatsoever.

(b) Engage the scoop, and it sounds even more sterilie and crap, basically. I don't mind the scoop switch making the amp metal, but seeing as how the scoop switch is there to make it sound metal, is there any need for it to be eq-ed to be metal without the scoop engaged?

(c) the clean channel is alright, but not spectacular.

(d) OD 1 is alright, but you have to fight with the EQ to make it not sound metal and sterile, and keep the gain very low- any higher than about 12 o'clock and again, it sounds metal and bass-heavy like OD2.

(e) the built-in fx suck. as does the fx loop.

(f) it just sounds to me like, rather than make it sound good, marshall said "any non-n00bs will just buy an all-valve amp, so let's tailor the sound of the AVT to ensnare n00bs". it sounds metal, but in a tinny, n0obish kind of way. Once you hear a good tube distortion, you realise how sh1tty it sounds.

(g) Even in the UK, there are much better amps for the money- roland cubes, vox valvetronixes, peavey classic 30, fender blues junior, laney lc and vc series. And in the USA you must be clinically insane to buy one, considering what they ask for them...

(h) they try to ensnare the n00bs by giving it a high wattage ("100 watts? "), lots of features (fx etc.), and flashing lights. And a marshall badge.

(i) Marshall say it sounds like an all-tube amp. it doesn't. Turn up the clean channel, and it does distort in a not-unpleasant way, but it's still nowhere near as good as tube.

Just to clarify, I'm not trying to say I'm better than anyone else, or being a n00b is a sin or anything- heck, I got ensnared myself, and was an admitted n00b until very, very recently. But I'm trying my damnedest to ensure as few other people as possible are fooled by Marshall's hype into buying one.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
^ no problem.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
If you like it, then there's no problem with it.
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
Quote by R_H_C_P
If you like it, then there's no problem with it.

agreed... but with the caveat "as long as you've tried all the other amps in its price range, and especially the ones that seasoned guitar veterans have said are better than the AVT".

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
They're not nearly as bad as everyone says, I just can't dig the price.

AVT50s are slightly better than AVT100s because you didn't spend as much money on an AVT.
Quote by markom89
They're not nearly as bad as everyone says, I just can't dig the price.

AVT50s are slightly better than AVT100s because you didn't spend as much money on an AVT.

Correct, especially the price they sell for in Canada. A brand new AVT 100 combo at our local Marshall dealer is $1000. Christ, I got my Genz Benz El Diablo for $1400 Cdn, and before that, my 5150 combo for $1250 Cdn. That's just crazy.

Now for under $500, the same price as other comparably powered and featured SS amp, it would be a good contender for a practice amp. But at its regular full price, you're basically ass-raping yourself with a rusty wire brush soaked in turpentine.

I was hoping Dave_Mc would comment because I new he had one. I'll admit there is a lot of flash thrown into the amp to sell it to unwise customers but honestly it was the best amp there for under $1000. I'm going to a Maryland Guitar Center this week and I know they'll have a huge selection compared to the original store where I purchased the AVT. I'll try out some Mesas and some other all-tube amps to see what you mean about their superior tone. I agree with what Dave_Mc said about fighting the EQ and the OD2 channel being muddy; Solution-tune my strings sharp and suddenly I'm getting an 80s Slayer tone. If I get into a band and start playing large gigs I'll do more research than I did this time and get a high-quality stack. In the mean time, would it be a good or bad idea to try and modify my tone with overdrive/distortion pedals? I'm looking at the Ibanez Smashbox, which my friend has, and the Maxon OD808.
Last edited by Archon473 at Jun 26, 2006,
beware, i plugged in my DS-1 into it the other day and the tone the amp emitted when i turned it on was awful (and no, not just the usual AVT tone for some smart alec out there), way way way too trebly, but i think that may be because the DS-1 isnt the greatest pedal ever, so please tell me how other distortion pedals sound through the amp. Cheers.
I've tried the AVT100 and I like it. I bought the MG100HDFX and am with you when I find it disheartening to have people bash it and say it's the worst piece of crap to hit the earth. What people don't seem to understand is that to each their own. Different people have different tastes and will like different amps. I don't mind my MG. One thing I do agree with is the fact that the AVTs and MGs are over priced because you pay for the Marshall name. I will most likely not buy a Marshall next time.
for metal you should have got a real tube amp!!!! peavey xxx for istance is not a good solid state, (roland cube is great for metal) and is cheap!!! the marshall just sounds thin and weak!!!! sell it and by a real tube amp and you will understand what i am on about!

You forgot the [/cliche post]

LISTEN to this man, he speaks words of infinite wisdom.
2006 AND 2007 Ultimate Guitar Best Vocalist

Quote by Magero
Jack - 3:54 AM
I will smoke, and eat and watch Futurama in your honour
I if you like the sound don't ask why people don't like it. That's why everyone on here is asking why you so like it... It's all about what you prefer.
Quote by Archon473
I was hoping Dave_Mc would comment because I new he had one. I'll admit there is a lot of flash thrown into the amp to sell it to unwise customers but honestly it was the best amp there for under $1000. I'm going to a Maryland Guitar Center this week and I know they'll have a huge selection compared to the original store where I purchased the AVT. I'll try out some Mesas and some other all-tube amps to see what you mean about their superior tone. I agree with what Dave_Mc said about fighting the EQ and the OD2 channel being muddy; Solution-tune my strings sharp and suddenly I'm getting an 80s Slayer tone. If I get into a band and start playing large gigs I'll do more research than I did this time and get a high-quality stack. In the mean time, would it be a good or bad idea to try and modify my tone with overdrive/distortion pedals? I'm looking at the Ibanez Smashbox, which my friend has, and the Maxon OD808.

pretty much every OD pedal and disto pedal I've tried (bar a tubescreamer) causes the sound to cut out when I tried to use the pedal for boostage purposes (i.e. using it over an already overdriven tone). Believe me, I tried. It was around about that time that I just bit the bullet and decided I'd just buy a better amp.

Still, you might find a pedal that works fine- good luck!
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
the main reason i'd bash mg's is because they break. alot. we had a 250 combo thing (100 watss 50 per speaker or something) and it broke with in a week. the effects dont turn off. it gets hotter than my DSL and it sounds like a loud fart. to each their owns but if it breaks you only have your self to blame. but if you are happy with it then power to you. and trust me once you hear a decent tube amp you'll disown your AVT.
Quote by xifr

Quote by lespaulmarshall
I love you Joel
Quote by Archon473
I agree with what Dave_Mc said about fighting the EQ and the OD2 channel being muddy; Solution-tune my strings sharp and suddenly I'm getting an 80s Slayer tone.

this made me laugh... you have to uptune to get decent tone, but you still love the amp? but anyways... as long as you like it, who gives a **** what everyone says.
its recorded line it and low volumes as well. those recording aren't much of a representation of the amp. i should have some new ones up there soon with it cranking and recorded with a mic.
Quote by xifr

Quote by lespaulmarshall
I love you Joel