Hi dudes!

I recently did two box car racer covers, and I would be glad if some of you guys would crit 'em. First of all, try to ignore the very bad audio qaulity. I'm going to buy a better microfon.

"Watch the World" and "There Is"
Quote by Yakult
Why are you talking to yourself? Stay off the drugs
erm. good singing BUT you need better tone on your guitar. I no you said the audio qualitys poor but to cover songs like that you probably want a semi-acoustic with an absolute tiniest bit of gain. Secondly, don't use powerchords (barre chords/5th chords) with acoustic tracks. When you've got 15dB of gain pushing its way through a les paul into a marshall with all valves firing, they sound great, but the clarity of an acoustic track means they sound dull and flat. Either mess about with the chords (so rather than, say E5 play E, Emin, E7, Emin7 etc etc) or use a chromatic chord progression that isn't based round power chords.

I suppose your final option is to finger pick or arpeggio the chords. If ur gonna use arpeggios on an acoustic for the love of god, finger pick 'em. If your uncomfortable out of power chord territory or you can't capture the feel of the song with fuller chords, finger pick the powerchords in a root-5th-8ve-5th pattern or similair.

Remeber: a cover isnt meant to be a complete rerecording of the original. the best covers put soemthing new into the song whilst leaving the spirit of the song alive.
Quote by beardd_metalhed
no you do not sing like tom, other than that 7/10

uhm, did I said i tried to sound like him?
Quote by Yakult
Quote by conceptne
erm. good singing BUT you need better tone on your guitar. I no you said the audio qualitys poor but to cover songs like that you probably want a semi-acoustic with an absolute tiniest bit of gain. Secondly, don't use powerchords (barre chords/5th chords) with acoustic tracks. When you've got 15dB of gain pushing its way through a les paul into a marshall with all valves firing, they sound great, but the clarity of an acoustic track means they sound dull and flat. Either mess about with the chords (so rather than, say E5 play E, Emin, E7, Emin7 etc etc) or use a chromatic chord progression that isn't based round power chords.

I suppose your final option is to finger pick or arpeggio the chords. If ur gonna use arpeggios on an acoustic for the love of god, finger pick 'em. If your uncomfortable out of power chord territory or you can't capture the feel of the song with fuller chords, finger pick the powerchords in a root-5th-8ve-5th pattern or similair.

Remeber: a cover isnt meant to be a complete rerecording of the original. the best covers put soemthing new into the song whilst leaving the spirit of the song alive.

Thanks dude! This is the best feedback I ever got. Thanks
Quote by Yakult
what is with your recording quality.

I have the cheapest microphone, and my recording are all better than this. I've even used an iPod for recording and had better quality. You might have to record these seperate to get better quality. I'm starting to get the hint you can't really sing well. I think you're trying to sing too much like Tom DeLonge. The guitar is right, but the tone is bad.

Check out my grillz cover. It's around here some where.
BUY SOME PHOTOS..Click here, and then click 'store'

Quote by GOD*OF*ROCK
lol man plz dont take this the wrong way but you really cant rap.
Quote by Dashboard89
what is with your recording quality.

I have the cheapest microphone, and my recording are all better than this. I've even used an iPod for recording and had better quality. You might have to record these seperate to get better quality. I'm starting to get the hint you can't really sing well. I think you're trying to sing too much like Tom DeLonge. The guitar is right, but the tone is bad.

Check out my grillz cover. It's around here some where.

Well, it is a cover of a song written by Tom, what's the problem? By the way, your the first guy I heard who think I sings badly. You didn't really give me something to work with... uhm, thanks
Quote by Yakult
Quote by RasmusLiebst
Well, it is a cover of a song written by Tom, what's the problem? By the way, your the first guy I heard who think I sings badly. You didn't really give me something to work with... uhm, thanks

I can't tell if you sing badly. I think your mic really makes everything sound kinda bad.
BUY SOME PHOTOS..Click here, and then click 'store'

Quote by GOD*OF*ROCK
lol man plz dont take this the wrong way but you really cant rap.
reeeet. besides the odd person who seems to be knocking chunks outta u once you've had a fiddle around with the chords (PM me if you get really stuck) let us kno how the recordings goin on and wat gear ur using and how your using it. iv got a twenty year ild tape 8-track recorder and i get better recordings than that. all im saying is someone might be able to give you tips on how to use the gear your using to get a better sound (rather than saying buy a Mac G4, pro logic yatta yatta yatta)

good luck
I thought the guitar sounded a bit out of tune? As for the recording Im not sure if your guitar is plugged in or just miced(sp) if its miced I think the mic needs to be closer to you rather than the guitar. Couldnt really hear the vocals on this song but they dont sound bad on Adam's song!

Crit 4 Crit Please
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=382545
Guitarman4040
Gear:
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Seagull Acoustic
VOX AD100VT combo 2x12 + 2x12cab
Shure mics
Assortment of Pedals
Quote by Dashboard89
I've even used an iPod for recording and had better quality.

How the hell do you do that?
"If you want beef, then bring the ruckus." - Marilyn Monroe
Quote by conceptne
reeeet. besides the odd person who seems to be knocking chunks outta u once you've had a fiddle around with the chords (PM me if you get really stuck) let us kno how the recordings goin on and wat gear ur using and how your using it. iv got a twenty year ild tape 8-track recorder and i get better recordings than that. all im saying is someone might be able to give you tips on how to use the gear your using to get a better sound (rather than saying buy a Mac G4, pro logic yatta yatta yatta)

good luck

Okay, last year i got a Canon video camera. That's what I use.

1. I plug it to my computer (firewire).
2. I use a program called "Pinnacle Studio". I select "Capture" and "Preview".
3. When I'm done recording it I put the video file in Microsoft Movie Maker, and put the recording on the "Music" track on the storyboard. When I save it, it's not a video any more, just an audio file.
4. Finally I use a program called "Switch" to make it a .mp3 (if I don't I can't post it on PureVolume!)
Quote by Yakult