what should i get for the posistion im in

i've been playing for a year, and after this christmas when i'll have enough money for a new amp im gonna probibally get into a band or start one up. Now im hoping to spend in the 500$ range. The band im gonna make it gonna be anything and everything from pop/punk to straight hardcore heavy stuff, depending on what we decide on (taking back sunday, atreyu, underoath, silverstein, as i lay dying). So basically im open to all ideas. I'll definatly need something louder then the drums, but i have friends who play in bigger bands who i should be able to borrow their half stacks if we would ever get magically good and go live.

So basically i just want to hear input. i usually play with alot of overdrive/distortion and metal-zone pedal style sounds, usually all thrown together.

Im figuring on buying a new amp too, unless i can find something used that's cheap and im satisfied with it.
for $500, you want to be looking at combos. Probably a used xxx or 5150/6505 (peavey) combo. You could probably seel your pedals too.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
^I always type seel instead of sell too...

A used/otherwise reduced tube combo would definately be the way to go. If you have the MT-2 (assuming you do by the metal-zoney comment) you could send it to that Keeley bloke to make it worth using, meaning you could get a cheaper amp as you wouldnt need decent gain on it.
im with them. if you even had a few hundred more dollars, id go the other way. stacks are better for metal, and just look better too. for guitar playing, looks are half of the picture.
Quote by corduroyEW
Cheap amps are "that bad". They suck up your tone like cocaine at Kate Moss' party.

I am Michael!
Quote by mynamewontfit
you could send it to that Keeley bloke to make it worth using

I've heard that its not worth modding the metal zone, over priced and not an impressing upgrade.
Anyway, how about a ussed marshall dsl401 combo? Or maybe peavey valveking 1x12" ... sorry cant many surgestions for this one
Gear
PRS Standard SE
Laney GH100L with Marhsall 1960BV
Digitech Bad monkey
Marshall EH1
EHX Small stone
EHX Small clone
Quote by tubab0y
stacks are better for metal

And for that price, you're not gonna' get a good stack, do like Dave said.
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
Quote by StuC
I've heard that its not worth modding the metal zone, over priced and not an impressing upgrade.

Hmm, haven't heard anything on it since the phase GG&A went through a while back where most threads had at least one ZOMG Keeley r0x0rz my b0x0rz~! post. Wouldn't surprise me if they weren't all that good, just people were bandwagon-jumping - happens rather a lot here.

Quote by tubab0y
im with them. if you even had a few hundred more dollars, id go the other way. stacks are better for metal, and just look better too. for guitar playing, looks are half of the picture.

There's no way you'll get a decent stack at that price, or even with a few hundred more dollars. I second the suggestions from Dave and Teleprompters. The Triple XXX, 5150, and DSL combos would all suit you well. Try doing some research on them and see what you think.
No animals were harmed in order to bring you the above post. However, several photons were greatly inconvenienced.

ALL GLORY TO THE HYPNO-TOAD
thanks guys, i was definatly leaning toward a combo over the low end half stacks out there for that price, just because the low end stacks would be....low end
i should add this sorry i forgot earlier but im not really looking for a boatload of effects. I use the Zoom G2.1 pedal and it sound fantastic through my 10watt ibanez amp, but more importantly sounds great in a studio going directly through a mixer and out studio speakers. I also get all the distortion i want playing without my overdrive/gain on my amp at all, like when i bypass my pedal it's on clean. Effects aren't as important as just something that sounds good. Anything cheaper i could get then the requests so far...500$ is a good range im looking at (im 16 and not loaded :-P)
Quote by mynamewontfit
^I always type seel instead of sell too...

ah, but I meant to do it. "seel" means "sell on ebay".

honest.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?