Hey guys, I've been playing guitar for about 2 years now and I'm looking for new techniques to break out of "conventional" rhythm patterns. I mostly play with a pick, but I'm (finally, I've been putting it off ) learning to fingerpick.

Anyone have any good advice on what artists I should listen to or any cool rhythm patterns to use that sound unique and interesting?

Thanks.
Takamine EG531SSC - "Kim"
Fender Mexican Stratocaster - "Jessica"
-Texas Special Pickups
Crate Palomino v16 Class A Tube Amp

Well it's floodin down in Texas
Listen to Rodrigo Y Gabriela. They're a Mexican acoustic guitar duo, and they've practically invented a new style of playing... combining flamenco with metal with loads of stuff... anyway, Gabriela does some really weird rhythms, kind of using triplets and slapping different parts of the guitar to get different sounds. A good song to start on is Tamacun.
Psycho Killer,
Qu'est-ce que c'est?
Fa fa fa faa fa fa fa fa-fa faa

Quote by Paul Brannigan
Pie is like bread, but just with more pie in it
a good fingerstyle website for lessons and artists/songs to check out would be http://www.acousticfingerstyle.com

here's a few songs for you to try out also:

the beatles - blackbird
led zeppelin - braun yr aur stomp
mason williams - classical gas (the best tab is labeled eric clapton)
kansas - dust in the wind
fleetwood mac - landslide
Hey I'm a huge fingerpicking fan and practicer, i never considered myself a guitar player until i had learnt several reasonably complicated fingerpicking songs, its soo cool... anyway, if ur looking for artists with interesting picking techniques and rhythm i'd recommend Pierre Bensusan (awesome and beautiful), Leo Kottke (very free and open style mixed with extremely tricky alternating techniques and stretches and also interesting for various tunings), John Martyn (particluarly his earler stuff), Martin Simpson (truly amazing) and of course Ry Cooder... there are plenty more but they aare some interesting guys to begin with Enjoy!
Oh and as a very important after thought you gotta listen to some Nick Drake, that man was brilliant (and a good friend of John Martyn's).
Quote by sandwich_man
Listen to Rodrigo Y Gabriela. They're a Mexican acoustic guitar duo, and they've practically invented a new style of playing... combining flamenco with metal with loads of stuff... anyway, Gabriela does some really weird rhythms, kind of using triplets and slapping different parts of the guitar to get different sounds. A good song to start on is Tamacun.

Do they have a CD out??
©Fleabass5

FreakyStyley
Hey Scrate i have never heard of Leo Kottke but i love free flowing stuff can you recomend some song he has maby a cd too i wana cheak him out
Scrate .. you know your stuff!

Apart from what scrate mentioned, there's the usual - Merle Travis (inventor of 'Travis picking'), Chet atkins, Tommy Emmanuel, Scott tennant

Take a look at Don Ross too .. 'Lucy Watusi' and 'No goodbyes' are two of my Don Ross faveroutes.

If your'e looking for acoustic with vocals, take a look at nick drake, jose gonzalez, elliot smith etc.

htpp://www.olivergoldingmusic.com
Quote by GsKoRn1
Hey Scrate i have never heard of Leo Kottke but i love free flowing stuff can you recomend some song he has maby a cd too i wana cheak him out

Mona Ray is a great one, that's off his album "Dreams And All That Stuff" (great album). A lot of Jim Croce's stuff is fun, too.
Raoul Duke: There's a uh, big machine in the sky, some kind of, I dunno, electric snake, coming straight at us.

Dr. Gonzo: Shoot it.

Raoul Duke: Not yet, I want to study its habits.
I like Bob Dylan's fingering picking...eh, more travis picking I believe.

Gear:
Partscaster/Tele into a bunch of pedals, a Maz 18 head, and a Z Best cab.
Quote by roamingbard13
I like Bob Dylan's fingering picking...eh, more travis picking I believe.

Now if he would start actually playing the guitar again when he tours, that would be wonderful!
Takamine EG531SSC - "Kim"
Fender Mexican Stratocaster - "Jessica"
-Texas Special Pickups
Crate Palomino v16 Class A Tube Amp

Well it's floodin down in Texas
Rod y Gab do have a cd out. It's a self-titled album and it's awesome. They also have a video on rotation on VH1.com right now too. They have some tour dates in the U.S. soon so you'll also be able to catch them live. Here's a link to their myspace page if you want to check it out-
http://www.myspace.com/rodrigoygabriela
look up erick turnbull. Low C. amazing stuff. seriously look him up on youtube.
Guitars.

Seagull Entourage Rustic Q1
Washburn D-10 N 93'
Jay turser.. i dunno what model.
This thread is almost a year old! Please look at the date before you bring up an old thread like this!

Gear:
Partscaster/Tele into a bunch of pedals, a Maz 18 head, and a Z Best cab.