Well, it's been a long time coming, but I'm finally posting a clip recorded with my recently retubed El Diablo. I had a lot of questions about this since I made a post a couple of weeks ago on how much of a tonal difference that the new JJ tubes made. Well, now I have a clip, and here's the reason why I hadn't released one earlier.

Over the past weeks, my Met tribute band, Sad But True, have been recording our latest cover, Creeping Death. Until today, we've kept the title of the song under wraps. Now we've got enough final tracks down that we felt it appropriate to announce the song and to post a demo of it.

So here it is, without further ado, Creeping Death. Hit SBT's MySpace to take a listen

http://www.myspace.com/sbtmusic
Guitars: Custom Lado Earth 2000-3, Custom ESP Explorer, BC Rich KKV, Gibson LP Studio, Greco SG, El Degas Stratocaster, Agile AL-3000, LTD EX-351

Rig:Marshall JVM410H + Marshall 1960A, Boss Noise Suppressor
NOICE~!

Really liking the covers. I was thinking during Creeping Death that the tone sounds just right for For Whom the Bell Tolls... lo and behold that was the next song on the list.

Awesome stuff
its good, i like the tone on for whom the bell tolls better.
Quote by ClassicAxe

consider anything derek suggests, He IS a gain VVhore you know
Quote by jj1565
derek, will you go out wt me?

President Gain Whore -group on profile
I honestly don't think it fits Metallica. Well it fits, but it isn't close to thier actual tone. Are you going for your own tone or a Metallica tone?
^ his own tone.

the el34's make it hint of bogner almost.
Quote by ClassicAxe

Quote by jj1565

Yeah, it's not exactly typical Metallica tone, but sounds damn good anyway. I'd pay to listen to something sounding like that if it was a non-internet tribute band.
Ehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

Sounds a little bit too compressed. . . and sometimes it sounds like a really high quality, but still MIDI sound. But parts of it sound pretty good.

Didn't like it as much as them other guys. Guess I'm not an EL34 guy.
Thanks guys. Yeah, I wasn't shooting for Metallica's sound, and I really never did in any of our covers. We're doing Metallica songs, but we want our own sound on them while keeping them true to the originals.

For For Whom The Bell Tolls, I was using a 5150 combo for that song. I really loved that amp, but I needed cleans for my other band, and the 5150 didn't cut it. It was also very large and heavy (and downright hazardous) to carry up and down stairs by myself.

MIDI? I hope you're referring to the drums, because that's the only MIDI part in this song.

And the power section of my amp was originall EL34s, but Eurotubes suggested, based on what I told them I wanted for sound, that their E34Ls would be better than EL34. I agree. I love these tubes. From now on, I'm all about JJ tubes. The amp sounds incredible with the new tubes.

But having tried my amp thru both a Marshall 1960A and a Genz Benz cab, I know that I'm not too crazy about the internal speaker. It's good, but I've heard better. For that reason, I've order a 16ohm Celestion V30 for it. Eventually, I'm going to get a second 16 ohm V30 and build my own 2 x 12 cab based on the Marshall 1936.
Guitars: Custom Lado Earth 2000-3, Custom ESP Explorer, BC Rich KKV, Gibson LP Studio, Greco SG, El Degas Stratocaster, Agile AL-3000, LTD EX-351

w00t. 5150 ftw.
Quote by ClassicAxe

Quote by jj1565

awesome. I liked the tone on creeping death better than FWTBT. sounded a little SS almost on FWTBT. maybe more metal, though...

I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I do prefer this tone as well. It sounds a lot bigger and more in your face. I miss the really tight response of the 5150, but these new tubes make a huge difference in the El Diablo.

I still haven't perfected my new tone yet since this is essentially a new amp (twice over) for me. I had just started to find my sound with it when the original El Diablo broke down. Then I got the new amp, and started finding a sound. Then I got new tubes and ditched the Hotplate, and another new sound. LOL It's like Christmas over and over again.

But it's nice to have a more permanent rig now so I can really craft my perfect tone. I'm not quite there yet but I'm working on it.

^ yeah, keep at it, man- I definitely think you're going in the right direction with that el-diablo... in my opinion at least!

I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by gpderek09
^ his own tone.

the el34's make it hint of bogner almost.

I just noticed this Bogner comment, and now that I listen to it again, I agree. It does have a certain «je-ne-sais-quoi» quality that's similar to a Bogner.

Hmm.... there was a used Uberschall at a shop here a while back. I may have to drop in and see if they still have it and possibly give it a test drive to compare.

Sounds weak and fuzzy to me on FWTBT, however Creeping Death is cool.

Quick question:If your in this tribbute band, should you aim for that Metallica sound?
Haha, yesterday my friend came over with some video he just had to show me. It was the guitar player (you?) totally slaying crazy train. It was amazing.
Quote by Crunchmeister
I just noticed this Bogner comment, and now that I listen to it again, I agree. It does have a certain «je-ne-sais-quoi» quality that's similar to a Bogner.

Hmm.... there was a used Uberschall at a shop here a while back. I may have to drop in and see if they still have it and possibly give it a test drive to compare.

Quote by ClassicAxe

Quote by jj1565

Quote by Crunchmeister

MIDI? I hope you're referring to the drums, because that's the only MIDI part in this song.

I was. . . actually. . . referring to your guitar tone. It was good in some parts, but I guess since the drums are MIDI, it made the guitar sound MIDI-ish too, at least to me.
Quote by TheFluffy
Haha, yesterday my friend came over with some video he just had to show me. It was the guitar player (you?) totally slaying crazy train. It was amazing.

That would be our lead guitarist Matt. He is pretty amazing on guitar. The only thing more amazing is that he's actually a drummer, not a guitarist. Go figure...

Received my Celestion V30 yesterday and got it installed last night. It sounds mighty imressive, let me tell you. It slays the stock Genz Benz GBE V-75 (Eminence) speaker.

Last edited by Crunchmeister at Jun 29, 2006,
Yeah, I can't figure how anyone could say the guitar, of all things, sounds like MIDI. I'd have massive wood if I could get MIDI guitars sounding like that. Even the drums don't have much of a MIDI sound...

Crunch, would you do a BLAM!Gar!*dies* of the Genz?

I'm sure we'd all love to see it...
sounds excellent Crunch

I do like the tone a little better on some of the other recordings though. Spot on playing however, I'm just being picky about the tone since I know you are. The tone still kicks ass, but maybe missing a little girth or something. Very cool regardless, much better tone than I've ever got in a recording.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
Quote by Crunchmeister
Received my Celestion V30 yesterday and got it installed last night. It sounds mighty imressive, let me tell you. It slays the stock Genz Benz GBE V-75 (Eminence) speaker.

is that a "real" eminence or a "custom-voiced" eminence. And by "custom-voiced", I mean like the way marshall avt's have "custom-voiced" celestions.

I have vintage 30's, but I hear some people say eminence are better. More than likely personal prefence, mind you...

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
is that a "real" eminence or a "custom-voiced" eminence. And by "custom-voiced", I mean like the way marshall avt's have "custom-voiced" celestions.

I have vintage 30's, but I hear some people say eminence are better. More than likely personal prefence, mind you...

Can't say for sure. The sticker on the speaker gived the model name, Genz Benz GBE V-75, and says "Made by Eminence". So I don't thing it's a specific Eminence model, but rather a speaker made to Genz Benz specs by Eminence. And I think it's a pretty decent speaker, but it just didn't have the bottom end I was looking for.

All I know is the V30 kicks its ass all over the place.

^ um, yeah.

Haven't tried any eminences, you see, and they're about 4 times the price of v30's over here.

Grrr.

Have you got to try the new GB black pearl yet? It looks like it might be capable of kicking ass...

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I've seen it on the site, but haven't tried it yet. Our Genz Benz dealer is a rather small shop. He usually has a couple of higher end amps in stock, but like most smaller stores, he stocks mostly the stuff that sells fast - low(er) end affordable stuff from Line 6, Laney, Ibanez, Vox, and Orange. Occasionally he's got some of their higher end stuff. Hopefully he gets a Black Pearl in. I'd like to try it out.

^ ditto. I realised (after I purchased my engl, naturally) that there was a genz-benz dealer about 20-25 miles from me. If I'd known, I'd have been on the phone to see if they had any diablos, and then I'd have been over there like a shot. Ah well...

I still want to try it though, and the black pearl. I doubt I'd get a diablo unless it really smoked my engl (and I doubt it will, if anything it'll probably be "as good as, but voiced differently"), but I wouldn't mind a more vintage amp, and the black pearl looks like one of the ones on the shortlist, at least!

The dealer is also in a small town though, so they may only be dealers in name only- you know "we can order one in for you", which is no use when you just want to try- although it's kind of strange here, sometimes the best music shops are in the back of beyond, lol...

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?