Hey guys, i'm just curious on how many people use their thumb on the sixth string? What about the fifth string?? I use my thumb on both and i was wondering if anyone else does that.
©Fleabass5

FreakyStyley
yeah i do that sometimes.... dunno i can see why your asking seems a bit odd but i think its pretty normal haha
^^Yea i kno. But I heard that you have to have big hands to do that especially to play on the fifth string and i am surprised i can do it myself because i have small hands. Just curious to see how many other people can do it.
©Fleabass5

FreakyStyley
i use it very often to play the 6th string and to mute the 5th string. i was kinda inspired by frusciante and hendrix so i started using my thumb... and it turned out to be really helpful.
i even use it when playing highway to hell.
I can actually fret the 6th, 5th, and 4th with my thumb, without mutting anything, To do barre chords I don't even have to barre with my index, Major Or Minor barres. But I only use my thumb for slash chords, like D/F# and others like that. Fretting the other 2 strings is just something I use trying to impress people :P like playing behind your back, or jumping 2 steps between 1 finger. I have medium hands, but long fingers :P
Last edited by fragydig529 at Jun 26, 2006,
Quote by 666_Belial
i use it very often to play the 6th string and to mute the 5th string. i was kinda inspired by frusciante and hendrix so i started using my thumb... and it turned out to be really helpful.
i even use it when playing highway to hell.

Yea they are big unfluences to me. Especially Frusciante. I just started learning a song off of the mother's milk album and i couldn't figure out how to position my fingers so i used my thumb for the fifth string. I found that kinda of strange because i've only heard of using your thumb for the sixth string.
©Fleabass5

FreakyStyley
Yeah the first time i used my thumb was playing Californication, now I use in most my songs or whenever i'm learning things, sometimes it makes changing to different chords alot easier.
I use it to mute strings when playing open chords.

It just sits against the E string at the 2nd fret all the time when playing chords, and I only need to move it to play an E chord or a D chord.
Populus vult decipi. Decipiatur.

Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
It's can be a contraction and genitive case.

Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
If you cut down on these costs students won't learn so well, effecting the "quality"...
Quote by Cpt.Jackass
Yeah the first time i used my thumb was playing Californication, now I use in most my songs or whenever i'm learning things, sometimes it makes changing to different chords alot easier.

Yea same here.
©Fleabass5

FreakyStyley
Richie Havens, black folk singer, uses open tunings and uses his thumb to barre ALL the strings.
Quote by gmsje
Richie Havens, black folk singer, uses open tunings and uses his thumb to barre ALL the strings.

man, hes great

i only really use my thumb for D/F#
I use my thumb to play acoustic guitar and I use thumb picks on electric guitar. Sometimes I'll use the thumb pick on the acoustic as well.
Picked up the thumb technique from the Beatles and The Fray. D/F# is such a cool chord. Especially when you have your pinky on the F# an octave above the F# on the E string.
Run!
-----------------------------------------------------------
Simply, the world was too small for a man of his ambition.
Quote by ifeastonbums
GuitarSymphony you are my hero!
Only when playing chords.
It makes things a lot easier, but it's really hard just learning.
Pinball Wizard is a good song to start on.
"Insecticon" of the Predacons Beast Wars Club
PM NightmareXT To Join!

You make me feel
Like a dog, you can see, my emotions
Is this for real, i'm a man
Sinking deep, in the ocean
I mainly use it for chords
But if i'm improvising sometimes i'll use it to stretch from the top of an octave to the bottum
Quote by GuitarSymphony
Picked up the thumb technique from the Beatles and The Fray. D/F# is such a cool chord. Especially when you have your pinky on the F# an octave above the F# on the E string.

Beatles and The Fray. Ha, quite a combo!

Some of the wierder funk and jazz chords are required to use your thumbs. So, i've gotten into it. But as someone mentioned before Frusciante and Hendrix are my major thumb-user influences.
This is what you get.
This is what you get.
This what you get when you mess with us.
I slightly curl my middle finger,ring,and pinky into the other strings,is this bad?
MY GEAR
Ibanez SA160QM
Laney HCM10
Squier Bullet Strat
MXR Carbon Copy
Zoom Tri Metal
Modtone Flanger(mini)
EHX LPB-1
Korg Pitchblack
Timtone acoustic