Hey, I've been playin for about a year and half now, and I'm looking at the hot head and the ds-1 distortion pedals to be my first pedal. which one should i choose?
what kind of distortion do you want?
ds-1 is for punk and punkrock...don't expect any more gain than that.
I don't trust Digitech really, but I haven't tested the Hot Head yet, so I can't tell...
Maybe look into a ds-2 ?
Go with the Boss. The Boss is simpler and could be controlled easily.
Sent from my iPad.
Last edited by paintITblack39 at Jun 26, 2006,
I got a Hot Head a couple of days ago and it sounds great, i did have to spend time tweaking the EQ on my amp and the pedal to get the right sound but it's worth it in the end. I've not tried the Boss pedal though, but your best bet is to go to a guitar shop and compare them both yourself.
Quote by JorisBlack
ds-1 is for punk and punkrock...don't expect any more gain than that.
I don't trust Digitech really, but I haven't tested the Hot Head yet, so I can't tell...
Maybe look into a ds-2 ?

punk rock? i thought of it as more of an 80s rock...what amp did you play through?
Quote by yorkshireterror
Dunlop's got the right idea
Oh yeah, only took me a few months
Founder of the "I Support Robert Keeley Mods," if you like them too, put this in your sig!

i <3 breakdowns
well I own a ds-2 (and in 1st mode it sounds the same as a ds-1, or so they say) and I never, but really never use the 1st mode... it's just soft imo...maybe i'm turning into a gain *****
I play it through a Peavey Classic 50.
Quote by JorisBlack

i play a very wide range of music, everything from regae to alternative to hardcore. which one has more range? if the ds-1 is only for punk, i might get the hot head anyway, even if ds-1 has better tone.
Quote by TheFuegoMiester
i might get the hot head anyway, even if ds-1 has better tone.

why the f*ck would you do that? "even if the ds-1 has a better tone"....gah.

the Hot Head is basically a DS-1 rip-off. Plus the DS-1 does have a better sound...and it costs the same. Ive tested both out extensively...and the DS-1 just has a more pleasing sound.
Don't tell me you can pull hardcore tones out of a ds-1, because I do not believe it.
Ok, I admit, besides punk and punkrock you could achieve hard rock too, but hardcore?
DS-1. It sounds better in the first place, and you can mod it later if you want. There's a reason nobody makes a hot head mod- nobody buys them and they suck.