Page 1 of 2
ok im tihnking of getting the iommmi sig guitar, im left handed and have a fender squire at moment. Black Sabbath is my fav band, but also i like blues. Would this guitar suite me in that it can play hard metal, and sometimes some blues and older stuff.

plz gimi like a little mini review of this guitar, and how would it compare to an g-400 or a les paul?
it should do well. solid mahogany, the actual pups on the gibson i think... better than the epi g-400 or LP by far.
Gear:
PRS Custom SE
Shit Strat
line6 spider II 112 (worst choice of my life)
Squier 10 watt (sounds better than the spider)
Digitech rp200
Rocktron Silver Dragon

Quote by FretboardToAsh
he's right, and he plays prs so that's proof.
ok so can i still get that mellow whole bluzzy sound? and is it a really good buy for £320?
i dunno how it will do for the blues... the pups might run a little hot. and for £320, its an ok buy.
Gear:
PRS Custom SE
Shit Strat
line6 spider II 112 (worst choice of my life)
Squier 10 watt (sounds better than the spider)
Digitech rp200
Rocktron Silver Dragon

Quote by FretboardToAsh
he's right, and he plays prs so that's proof.
A lot of black sabbath songs are bluesy.

Listen to:
-jack the ripper/fairies wear boots
-the warning
Minister of Zeppelinism, PM TheHeartBreaker to join
#6 member of the oasis fan club
Cardinal of The 1st Church of Frusciantism
'89 fender american strat
Vox ad15vt
Peavey raptor plus EXP(bridge: alnico 2 pro)
yamaha f-310p
ok cool, so ill start saving LOL. I heard its really good. Tell me more about it plz, and ive read the review, if anyone could send me a recording i would be greatful. Just wana hear the sound
what amp are you playing through? I have gibson SG and I cant get a metal tone if i tried out of my fender hot rod deluxe but plug it into a marshall or the like and it would scream, do you get what Im saying?
"The shopowner and his son ... well that's an entirely different story altogether ... I had to beat them to death with their own shoes."
ive got a small marshal practice amp about 15 watt, its pretty good though loads of special effects, and ive an effects pedal
Quote by Varkunus
ive got a small marshal practice amp about 15 watt, its pretty good though loads of special effects, and ive an effects pedal

...Run
I find that the G-400 and the Iommi are around the same quality, although I'm not exactly sure on it. The pickups on the Iommi are great for downtuned riffs, but I've read somewhere that they can sometimes sound mushy if played at regular tuning. My best advice other than that is to go to the store that you're buying it at (given that it's not being bought online), and try it out with YOUR CURRENT AMP. No use trying it with a $3000 tube amp if you have a 15 watt solid state.

EDIT: Corrected 10 watt to 15 watt*
Quote by Varkunus

I would look into getting a new amp first.
Yea new amp sounds good go for a tube if u can looks liek "the next hendrix" is a waynes world fan rock on
Member #17 of the RHCP & John Frusciante UG fanclub

Member #52 of the Fender Armada
Quote by Varkunus

id say get a beter amp, then get the new guitar.
good guitar on a not so good amp would sound bad.
terible guitar on an excellent amp still sounds good.
the
music and soul of love and hope and light manifesting in our minds, trapping whats left of us in our hearts.
where theres nowhere to go.

Quote by I_Pwn
Ostin, you are the pwnzorz and my new hero for that flame.

and this is a guy who's name is "i pwn"
The Iommi has 24 frets and a better quality neck than the standard G400. I think the pickups are Gibson ones on the Iommi, aren't they? It's a good instrument.
Tony Iommi actually uses the epi live. Well thats what he said in a laney interview.
Quote by Half_Full
[IMG]http://img166.imageshack.us/img166/5971/uselessko5.gif[/IMG]

My Gear:
-Epiphone Les Paul Standard plus -honeyburst with Duncan Jb/59
-Crate gt65
-Boss ME-50
Future gear:
-Vox AC30 cc2
Yeah he does. Only for one or two songs, but he does. Mostly he uses his custom Gibsons and John Birchs.
so im gona keep my amp, not aloud to get anything bigger yet. So shal i get guitar after i try it in shop?
Quote by Varkunus
so im gona keep my amp, not aloud to get anything bigger yet. So shal i get guitar after i try it in shop?

If you like it, go for it.
Iommi and Black Sabbath played a lot of blues and jazz influenced jam type music early on so there's a lot of that influence in their music. I think Sig guitars are usually a waste of money, not that they're bad, just you pay a premium for the name and cool inlays. You might be better off going with an Epi and swapping out the pickups. Save some money to upgrade your amp. MG15? At least consider a Cube 30...
It's a fine line between clever and stupid.
well im buying it cause its go the good pick ups, and u can get it left hand easy. Also thats the edge of my budget.

anyway thx for the help
plz could someone send me a recording of this guitar or something plz? i would really like to hear the sounds from the old, classic sound, to the beefy rock
It's mostly in the amp. You cant record a guitar straight, really. The pickups, from what I hear, are hot but clear.. so you had better not have sloppy playing.
I saw the guitar in my shop looks great I only wish it was there when I was getting my epi les paul it would have been a better buy. If you like that Black Sabbath sound go for it those pickups would do well. They should do fine for blues.
However I would also recommend getting a G-400 and swapping the pickups. Or getting a new amp.
High Cardinal of Zeppelinism PM TheHeartbreaker to join and
"Co-Founder (and Yoda) of the Star Wars Universe. PM me or SethMegadefan to join.

' " The last enemy that shall be destroyed is death"...'-p.269-Deathly Hallows
Well I think the major advantage apart from the pickups is the 24 fret neck. It's also meant to be a much better quality neck. I've got an article comparing it with the other Epi SGs if you want me to scan it and email it to you.
iommi humbuckers with gold plates work cuz they can give a good blues sound with the neck pickup and good metal sound with the bridge. so yeah go and get it
Nah, get the iommi, buy the time you've swapped pickups it'd be bout the same price, and plus you get 2 extra frets
Quote by Half_Full
[IMG]http://img166.imageshack.us/img166/5971/uselessko5.gif[/IMG]

My Gear:
-Epiphone Les Paul Standard plus -honeyburst with Duncan Jb/59
-Crate gt65
-Boss ME-50
Future gear:
-Vox AC30 cc2
ok, i went into a guitar shop. They didnt have the iommi model but i tried some stuff similar. I tried an epiphone sg standard i think. Then i tried a second hand gibson (£449), and the diffrent between the gibson and the epi, were huge. Also the man in the shop said, the iommi will have a very heavy sound, and u can get a better range of sounds from the gibson.

So how much will the gibson pickups on the iommi make a difference. and what shal i get>? The gibons a bit pricey
well i went to the music shop, and tried an epiphone SG and a gibson SG, the gibson was WAY... better. So although the iommi has gibson pickups, will u still get the same sound as the gibson. The owner said, u proberly will get a overcharged heavy sound from the iommi, and u can get more sounds the the gibson, HELP!!!
also its anoying cause he will only order it (cause its quite specific) if your definately gona buy it. So im stuck, would really just like a recording or that, plz, even if its a crap recording plz send me one!
I swapped the neck pickup in my epi G-400 with a tony iommi Pickup, Its sounds great, its a very versatile Pickup, You can get pretty much any sound you want out of it, It has a deep Bassy Sound when clean, And a Nice bluesy Sound with light distortion, and a great metal sound With high distortion, I pump it thru a vox valvtronix, but I have my old Marshall 15 watt that I tryed it out on, sounds great( for that kinda amp), Oh and sorry I can't give you a recording,
Last edited by Spade1 at Jun 30, 2006,
The shop guys will tell you anything to get you to buy a more expensive guitar tbh. Listen to us, cos we really dont care what you buy lol.

The Iommi is supposed to be pretty much the best Epiphone guitar they make, so I'd go for that. It's got 24 frets, which is always nice and it has awesome inlays that will get you attention on stage (and every guitarist loves attention!!)
Ibanez RG1570
Epiphone Black Beauty
Line 6 Spider II 112
BOSS CS-3 Compression Sustainer
so like i said they got a 499 gibson sg, faded in there. SO without considering the name, just quality. whats better that or epi iomi>
special's and faded's are not all too good or so ive heard.. (in this case being those two gibsons u mention)..
Quote by Varkunus
so the iommi is better?

Im not sure, I have never played it

EDIT: But remember, when buying a Gibson, although arguably better quality, you are ALSO paying for those six letters on your headstock..
Last edited by svanzon at Jun 30, 2006,
I saw a few reviews on it, and they all recommended it as a good guitar to buy.
test one out, and if you like it, go for it.
"Insecticon" of the Predacons Beast Wars Club
PM NightmareXT To Join!

You make me feel
Like a dog, you can see, my emotions
Is this for real, i'm a man
Sinking deep, in the ocean
Page 1 of 2