Page 1 of 2
I dont think either are "better" they both have different tonal qualitys, it depends what your looking for (i maybe wrong)
Tears in waves, minds on fire
Nights alone by your side
no, you're right
Gear:
PRS Custom SE
Shit Strat
line6 spider II 112 (worst choice of my life)
Squier 10 watt (sounds better than the spider)
Digitech rp200
Rocktron Silver Dragon

Quote by FretboardToAsh
he's right, and he plays prs so that's proof.
all depends on the sound you're looking for. vai's models are made from basswood and the most expensive gibson's are made out of mahogany. none is essentially better although basswood does take a lot of bashing especially from metal guitarists who prefer mahogany since EMG's (which many metal guitars use or recommend) don't sound very good in basswood and kick ass in mahogany.
Alright, for example the Ibanez ICX220 Iceman is basswood, and the IC400 is mahogony, the IC400 is about $200 more so I was wondering if besides better electronics, the wood was better.
Mahogany has lots of low-end, while Basswood sounds more even...it's got a good midrange. They're both very 'professional sounding' woods (unlike Agathis).

The thing about mahogany is, it can sometimes get so fat it'll lose definition and sound muddy (ie Gibson Les Paul). Basswood sounds clearer, IMO.
Isn't it so that lead guitarists have basswood or alder guitars to cut through while rythm guitarists like the fat mahogony tone? I personnaly prefer mahogony

Basswood is cheaper than mahogony though..
my epi is mahigany. its may favourite wood. i liek it much mroe than basswood. the mahogany jsut feels so much warmer and juicier. By the way, if mahogany comes from a mahogany tre, does basswood come from a..basswood tree?
i have a basswood guitar and it sound great even not pluged in,ive hered that if a guitar sound sweet when its not plugged in you know your gonna have great tone.
Quote by Dyaxe666
my epi is mahigany. its may favourite wood. i liek it much mroe than basswood. the mahogany jsut feels so much warmer and juicier. By the way, if mahogany comes from a mahogany tre, does basswood come from a..basswood tree?

Liek no it fcomes from a liem trie (where limes grow of course omfgroflmao!)
And everyone liek knws taht basses are made of liek basswood!

EDIT: I just realised that you're aparently the 'Worst Grammatik on UG'. Were all those misspellings deliberate in an attempt of n00b emulation, or were they all real?

If they were real, I'm sorry....
Last edited by sashki at Jun 26, 2006,
they are real. i can spell perfectly, but i type and i don't double chek, so sometimes even i can;t decipher what i wrote
basswood is a good midrange tonewood but it tends to get muddy, i dont think it gets muddy though as my dean is basswood and it is very versitile, basswood doesnt have a nice color or grain as it sometimes has nasty green spots in it so most basswood guitars have solid color finishes, basswood is also pretty soft so it needs a hard finish

mahogany is more of a bassy tonewood and it is usually paired with a maple top to even that out (maple is hard and trebly), it usually has a thicker or fatter sound and there are different kinds of mahogany: honduran, african, and some cheaper asian mahogany supposedly, it is a medium hardness and can be used for necks too, sounds good with EMG's
Quote by pierce34celtic
all depends on the sound you're looking for. vai's models are made from basswood and the most expensive gibson's are made out of mahogany. none is essentially better although basswood does take a lot of bashing especially from metal guitarists who prefer mahogany since EMG's (which many metal guitars use or recommend) don't sound very good in basswood and kick ass in mahogany.

vai's higher end guitar which he uses are made of alder

mahogany can get muddy so you need clearer pickups, and is a very warm instrument

it is often used for rhythm but i like it for leads to get a fat, round sound
Quote by R_H_C_P
You're joking right?

It's like comparing sex to sticking your penis in a blender.

Quote by thetearsibleed
vai's higher end guitar which he uses are made of alder

Isn't the JEM, his primary genus of guitars, made of Basswood?
Schecter C-1 Classic (Antique Amber)
Ibanez JEM 7VWH
Crate Palamino Class A tube combo
Digitech RP80 Multieffects pedal
Ibanez TS9 DX Tube Screamer
Quote by Bazilisck311
Isn't the JEM, his primary genus of guitars, made of Basswood?

Most JEM models are made of basswood.

But his main axe Evo which is a JEM77WH I think - is made from alder.
i prefer mahogany but some other wood like an RG Prestige Wizard neck or Carvins, Jacksons wouldnt keep me from buying it.
basswood is meh

It's very soft and dents very easily. It's probably the softest and weakest of all the tonewoods.

But the softness mellows out the extreme highs and lows so it gives a boost to the mid frequencies.
Quote by Johnljones7443

Exactly
Since your question has already been answered a million and a half times, I'm going to share a little you all; Its pronouced bass, like the fish, when its basswood.
Mahogany Pwns basswood. but then again im a rhythm guitarists. and if i was lead i would play with alder so i think basswood aint that great
Member of UG's Gain \/\/hores - pm gpderek09 to join
Quote by MastaBassist10
Since your question has already been answered a million and a half times, I'm going to share a little you all; Its pronouced bass, like the fish, when its basswood.

No way!

really?
Quote by Pinky&The Brain

Brain
Are you pondering what I'm pondering pinky?

Pinky
I think so, Brain, but where would we buy rubber pants at this hour?
Basswood can be quite good. My WI14 is made of basswood and I don't have a problem with the sound. It's actually a nice sounding guitar. Especially for $150.

As for mahogany, it is also quite good, but as others have said, it's a bi darker sounding than basswood.

It's preference, really. It just depends on what you're looking for soundwise.
My Gear:

Washburn WI14 Electric
Washburn D10s Acoustic
Marshall MG100HDFXR Special Edition
Marshall MG412AR Special Edition

Quote by Danno13
^Xenn is my favorite MG owner EVAR.

Quote by jj1565
^ Xenn fav MG user evar
I'm not the biggest fan of mahogany.

I would like it if I was a lead guitarist because it makes the high notes sound thick and rich but the low strings get so muddy.

I mean I had a gibson sg and like chords had no clarity. When playing single notes it sounded great but like if I strummed a G Chord it would sound like just one sound instead of hearing all the strings ring like on my strat.

Basically mahogany is just too muddy for most styles of music imo especially when playing clean because of the lack of clarity.
ok, the maho gives it a warm mellow tone which can be thick and creamy if your settings are right, which makes it awesome for metal. It also has a sweet sustain. So the IC400 should be perfect for metal, because its made of maho and the tone kicks ass.

Basswood is considered a 'low-end wood' along with agathis(is this even a kind of wood?) and plywood. It is 'bassy' and its pretty light, it is pretty boomy on its bass so it's rather uneven. So the ICX should be for rhythm playing or just..booming..
Gotta agree compared to my basswood my mahog sounds better when playing high notes but the lower notes sound very muddy and when played in a chord sounds really ****ty clean...you need to have heavy distortion, light distortion still wont do it unlike my basswood ibanez light distortion does the trick.

But the mahogany does sound better in solos and heavy stuff, just not soo good when playing some stuff in clean or light distortion :|
<< ESP LTD Deluxe H-1000 w/EMGs
<< Ibanez RG220b
<< BOSS ME-50 & DS-1
<< Crate MX65R 60 WATTS
<< Ibanez IBZ10G 10 WATTS
<< Dunlop Tortex 88mm
<< KOSS PRO3AA Headphones
I always pronounced it base-wood

bass wood sounds retarded now lol
I'm not racist.

I hate everyone the same.

has anyone heard of john petrucci? his guitar is basswood, and he has the nicest lead tone i have ever heard, so creamy and mellow.

mahogany muddies everything up. i like basswood.
mahogany

better tone better sustain
Quote by Duff_McGee
Masturbate. A lot. Seriously.

<----This is a man
Quote by jpetrucci5655
has anyone heard of john petrucci? his guitar is basswood, and he has the nicest lead tone i have ever heard, so creamy and mellow.

mahogany muddies everything up. i like basswood.

Jon petrucci also has so much rack equipment that you could plug a log with pickups into his rig and it would sound orgasmic.
[Founder of the Ibanez S players club.] Pm Me to Join
Basswood is very versitile, it has a good balance of highs and lows. Mahogany is more diffinitive. If you are playing metal, with heavily distorted powerchords and whatnot, mahogany would probably be better for you. It gives a fat, full sound for that kind of stuff.

Don't listen to me though, i'm just a cheese muffin.
Hi.

I'm like..so cool

Quote by ?øXÍÇÍ?¥

Cheesemuffin > les paul

Runner Up for best guitarist...

Meh better than nothing
Quote by Striketalonx
Jon petrucci also has so much rack equipment that you could plug a log with pickups into his rig and it would sound orgasmic.

indeed, but i'm just talking about his guitar plugged straight into an amp. i had the chance to try it and it was amazing even though i'm left handed. it was fun messing with the piezo also.

his guitar has more to do with his tone than most people give it credit for
Quote by jpetrucci5655
indeed, but i'm just talking about his guitar plugged straight into an amp. i had the chance to try it and it was amazing even though i'm left handed. it was fun messing with the piezo also.

his guitar has more to do with his tone than most people give it credit for

woah,
Like did you try HIS or did you try a signature?

I didn't know ti came with piezo's
thats sick!
[Founder of the Ibanez S players club.] Pm Me to Join
Quote by Striketalonx
woah,
Like did you try HIS or did you try a signature?

I didn't know ti came with piezo's
thats sick!

nah, i tried his signature. it was the red one. don't know the exact name though.

the piezo is an option on the guitar, and i gotta say, i'm getting one. they are so pimpin.
Quote by Johnljones7443

Evo is a JEM 7V and it is indeed made out of Alder - I stand corrected.
Schecter C-1 Classic (Antique Amber)
Ibanez JEM 7VWH
Crate Palamino Class A tube combo
Digitech RP80 Multieffects pedal
Ibanez TS9 DX Tube Screamer
Page 1 of 2