I recently bought an Ibanez S470DXQM (amazing guitar, though I need to change the pickups) and I've decided to turn my old Ibanez RG into a fretless. Now, I've done my homework, and it seems the best way to do it is to heat up the frets with a soldering iron and use a pair of end snippers to lift the old frets out. I'm quite sure about how I plan to go about it, but I'm wondering if anyone who's done this before has any tips or advice.

I'll post pictures when I'm done, of course. I also plan to strip the paint down and refinish it.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
Heat will go a long way to helping. With a 30 watt soldering iron you'll still need to hold it on the fret for about 10-15 seconds before trying to lift it, maybe even more. Rather than using end nippers, buy some dedicated fret pullers from LMI or Stewmac - they're worth the money. Start at one end of the fret. Work your way under it, then walk the pullers across the board to the other side, lifting a little at a time. If you get any significant chipping, you're probably doing something wrong.

Good luck!
"The most important thing is to learn how to play the guitar before you get 50,000 dollars worth of complicated gear" -Slash

Not a member of any clubs. Don't PM me.
Successness!
I have defretted the neck, filled the holes (with epoxy resin) and put brand new strings on the guitar. The soldering iron works wonders. I'll post teh pictures when I dig up my camera.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
Quote by Fast_Bear
Also post a soundclip! I have never herd a fretless guitar before! D:

And I think it woudl be awesome and original if your style included vibrato!

I'll post one when I find my camera. The sound quality won't be...........good.
That was quick!
"The most important thing is to learn how to play the guitar before you get 50,000 dollars worth of complicated gear" -Slash

Not a member of any clubs. Don't PM me.
Quote by mnbaseball91
That was quick!

I was surprised at how eay it was.

Recorded a quick sound clip. You would not believe how awkward it is to play on one of these things. The completely ****ed up spacy sounding thing is me doing sweeps while sliding up and down the neck.

http://www.yousendit.com/transfer.php?action=download&ufid=8A75492B6F9122B5
Last edited by Archeo Avis at Jun 26, 2006,
You should have a recording of a piece so we compare it with something else. Id have to say I prefer fretless bass rather than guitar... So far at least lol
Quote by Unforgivable
LesPaulMarshalls ace!
Quote by Dudage
LesPaulMarshall, you friggin rock!
Quote by adrian_brown89
It's pretty hard to find someone as hardcore as Tom. The race for hardcore supremacy would be pretty close but i think Tom's got his nose just in front for now...
that sounds ****in sweet! something i remember as a little kid like the clangers or sumthing (if anyone else have ever watched that)

yea ermm i mean i have heard them noises from my little sis watching kiddies prgrams
Quote by absinthe5765
wow dude either ur sound quality is horrible or you play some freaky sh*t.

The soundquality is horrible, yes. But I have yet to write anything for the fretless, so the recording was basically just me screwing around.
Sounds like a cross between a didgeridoo(definitely spelled wrong) and a kazoo. . .

pics
Gibson SG Standard
Fender 52 RI Telecaster
'77 Deluxe Reverb
Sunface w/ SunDial
MXR Carbon Copy
Crybaby

Quote by Sid McCall
Epic win. He speaks the truth, boys and girls.

Founder of the Neutral Milk Hotel club PM to join~
Quote by hamish5178
Sounds like a cross between a didgeridoo(definitely spelled wrong) and a kazoo. . .

pics

a kadoo :p