Ive been playing acoustic guitar for about a year, and violin for four years before that. I am now looking for my first electric guitar and i need some suggestions. Im not looking for a begginer guitar, but a good guitar in the 250-450 (USD) range. Im probobly getting a Marshal MG-10CD amp to go with the guitar.

So far a i have these guitars in mind.

fender stratocaster
Ibanez rg321

I mostly play heavier rock and fairly old metal (like metallica) with some occasional lighter rock/alternative.

Any suggestions would be highly apretiated.
Last edited by The Lemon at Jun 26, 2006,
the mg is probably not ur best bet for an amp... if i were you i would get some sort of vox valvatronix

as for guitars i would get the fender strat. its the most versitile
yo
wut kinda music u play, the main reason i ask is kinda due to the acoustic, buy mainly for the violin :p
My Gear
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Peavey Valveking 112
Line 6 über-Metal Pedal

Quote by pwrmax
All you care about is looks? No wonder you have it hard.

Quote by srvflood
You can't have sex with her personality.
Get the RG321, but the MG sucks, so I advise you to get a Cube 15
Quote by Pinky&The Brain

Brain
Are you pondering what I'm pondering pinky?

Pinky
I think so, Brain, but where would we buy rubber pants at this hour?
doh, i just now saw wut ur playing in ur post.

for that i honestly have never played a fender, mostly because i think that they are all the same as anything else. i would go wit a schecter as they are high quality and will match your tone quite nicely. for your price range you could get a lot, i would go for the omen6 though myself, thats was my 1st guitar and i got into it playing the same stuff u do pretty much. as far as amps go, im pretty much in the dark as anybody else..
My Gear
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Peavey Valveking 112
Line 6 über-Metal Pedal

Quote by pwrmax
All you care about is looks? No wonder you have it hard.

Quote by srvflood
You can't have sex with her personality.
i was on the verge of buying a strat this past weekend, but then i realized that i probobly want at least one humbucker pickup, and fat strats are out of my price range
You want the Ibanez with the Vox V9168 pathfinder? The amp is like 120 bucks. I bet it's a nice practice amp. The Ibanez RG321 is nice. If you want the two single coil pickups with one humbucker then get the Ibanez GSA60? It's a great beginner guitar. It's about 200 bucks more or less depending on where you get it.
whats wrong with the MG-10CD? i have seen only good reviews of it, and its cheap too.
^ all Mg's suck lol. That's the philosophy. I agree with it, so I too suggest the Vox Valvetronix or Roland Cube. Guitar wise, try to get the mahogany Ibanez Rg321MH (MH for mahogany). Personal opinion, but I think Mahogany is better for what your looking for than basewood.
Current Rig:
Gibson Firebird Studio
Limited Edition Schecter 35th Anniversary C-1
Schecter Jeff Loomis Signature 7 FR
Ashdown Fallen Angel
Custom 7 Firebird from Ignition Custom Guitars (check them out)
ESP Phoenix
Definaltely not a strat, they are for sure not your style. I dont see a strat playing metallica, unless its a fat strat, and at that rate the 321mh is better and cheaper.

DEFINATELY the RG321MH . Its your style and puts that LTD to shame. The LTD only has 22 frets, and a horrible AGATHIS body.....

321MH for SURE>=
RIG
Jackson SL3 Soloist
89' Ibanez RG570
Vader 4x12 Cabinet
Line 6 HD147 Head
6space HEAD/RACK case
Korg DTR1000 Rack Tuner
Furman Power Conditioner
ISP Decimator
You've probably read many good things about the MG through magazines - don't believe any of it. Try the Vox Valvetronix range or the Roland Cube. I'm not quite sure how much your price range is in GBP, but whatever the guitar you should be looking for one with humbuckers. You may want to look into Agiles. I can't vouch for their quality, as I haven't played one, but the guys on here seem to have only good things to say about them.
Quote by The Lemon
whats wrong with the MG-10CD? i have seen only good reviews of it, and its cheap too.

because bees and dog **** in a box sound better.

as for the guitar and amp go for the RG and the Roland
Of course, here is a rig that is godly for under $500.00-
Guitars
http://www.rondomusic.net/al2000blkgd.html
http://www.rondomusic.net/al2000hsbf.html
http://www.zzounds.com/item--IBARG321MH

Amps
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Vox-Valvetronix-AD30VT-30W-Guitar-Combo?sku=481959
http://www.zzounds.com/item--ROLCUBE30
http://www.zzounds.com/item--VOXAD15VT
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Vox-Pathfinder-15R-Guitar-Amp-with-Reverb?sku=481948

The MG is basiclly the worst when it comes to Marshall and it's strongly advised that you stay away from them, they have muddy ditortions, crappy cleans and reviews from other sites tend to be wrong.
Quote by Pinky&The Brain

Brain

Pinky
Quote by Atrius
because bees and dog **** in a box sound better.

True Dat!
Woh man, you have a nice acoustic!

Anyways, for your style of music I'd suggest an Ibanez or something. Not my style but everyone's different.
*Taylor 214ce Acoustic
*Fender Highway One Honey Blonde Strat (Fralin Pickups)
*Epiphone Zephyr Regent (Gibson '57 Humbucker)
*Vox 847 Wah
*Fulltone Fulldrive 2 MOSFET
*Fender Blues Deluxe Amp
Cut it for what?

Bedroom practice, yes.
Quote by Pinky&The Brain

Brain

Pinky
i have the mg10cd, its a pretty lame amp. there is only one knob to control your tone, aside from your guitar. in addition, the overdrive is extremely muddy. the only upside was that i got it for $30 from a friend.
Fenderrr
My Rig:

Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Es-335 Deluxe
Line 6 Flextone 3 XL
Norman B-50
1980 Fender Acoustic

Quote by MAXWELLMURDER
Fenderrr

Dont listen to this idiot....

For one, he reccomended the wrong guitar, 2 , he didnt have any details as to why he reccomended this guitar, 3, he spelled one fo the biggest guitar companys every established wrong.

RIG
Jackson SL3 Soloist
89' Ibanez RG570
Vader 4x12 Cabinet
Line 6 HD147 Head
6space HEAD/RACK case
Korg DTR1000 Rack Tuner
Furman Power Conditioner
ISP Decimator
for your styles definitley go for the Ibanez RG321MH for a guitar, and a Roland Cube 30 for an amp, the 30 has more features than the 15 and in case you ever want to play with drums youll be able to get over them at reasonable levels, the RG is $280 and the cube 30 is $230, $510 total
I would also reccommend the Roland Cube, either 15 or 30. I think it will fit your style of music.

Oh, and I know people have already said this, but for the love of god DO NOT GET A MARSHALL MG. I had the misfortune of having that as my only amp (luckilly I was renting it, I was not dumb enough to buy it) for almost a year. The amp makes just as much difference if not more in tone than the guitar.
what is the music theory and what does it teach you, like scales, solos, and to build speed???

Check out my recordings