Hey,

I've got a Mexican series Fender strat right now that I purchased about 1.5 years ago. I've been playing acoustic and have a fairly nice one, but I want an electric to go with it.

The Strat's sound isn't quite cutting it anymore so I have 2 choices:

1) Replace the Strat stock pickups. The guitar is still very very playable since I did some work on the bridge already, changed the action, fixed the intonation, etc...

2) Trade in the Strat, (I'd get about $100-$150) and buy something new, or maybe something used in the $400 (used) range. Maybe a semi-hollowbody Tele?

Advice?
Takamine EG531SSC - "Kim"
Fender Mexican Stratocaster - "Jessica"
-Texas Special Pickups
Crate Palomino v16 Class A Tube Amp

Well it's floodin down in Texas
Don't trade it. It's amazing. It loves you. . .

If you really despise it just upgrade to vintage noiseless or the texas specials, I'd take the versitility of a strat over a tele anyday.

And what is it about the strat thats "isn't quite cutting it anymore"?
Gibson SG Standard
Fender 52 RI Telecaster
'77 Deluxe Reverb
Sunface w/ SunDial
MXR Carbon Copy
Crybaby

Quote by Sid McCall
Epic win. He speaks the truth, boys and girls.

Founder of the Neutral Milk Hotel club PM to join~
I play mostly classic rock ranging from crazy ACDC to bluesy Eric Clapton to poppy Billy Joel, but there's just something missing from the sound. My amp is not that great either, I admit, and that's also on my list of upgrades but even through an excellent amp like my friend's Marshal, the sound still seems flat.

The more I think about it, the more I wanna keep it, but I really do need some new pickups.
Takamine EG531SSC - "Kim"
Fender Mexican Stratocaster - "Jessica"
-Texas Special Pickups
Crate Palomino v16 Class A Tube Amp

Well it's floodin down in Texas
If I were you I'd keep the strat and buy a new set of pickups. You can get a set of Vintage Noiseless pickups from MF for $120. I dont have any experience with the strat pickups but I have the VN's for my telecaster and I love 'em. I wouldn't let go of the strat, it's a great guitar.
My strat sounds like **** through a $3000 Marshall stack,

fender+Marshall is generally a bad idea in this day and age (unless you are Hendrix reincarnated)

Also, the general theory is "Buy a better amp before a new guitar", your amp affects your sound more than your strings and pickups combined , go try a twin or a hotrod, and see if it still sounds bad, if it does, just get new pickups. . .
Gibson SG Standard
Fender 52 RI Telecaster
'77 Deluxe Reverb
Sunface w/ SunDial
MXR Carbon Copy
Crybaby

Quote by Sid McCall

^^Oh hey danno, aren't you busy pwning my ass on my thread?
Gibson SG Standard
Fender 52 RI Telecaster
'77 Deluxe Reverb
Sunface w/ SunDial
MXR Carbon Copy
Crybaby

Quote by Sid McCall

"Isn't quite cutting it" If it's missing something.. you should go for new pickups.. I do also recommend getting a new amp first. It will probably directly affect your decision with what kind of sound you are wanting to add to your strat..

Still as versatile as strats are.. I'm not a big fan. This is somewhat biased but I would get a new guitar. But since you really seem to get a kick our of the strat you should probably just get new pups and a new amp.
i have a mexican strat ,i just put "hot noiseless " pickups in it .I hate it ,its a piece of **** !! a strat taht cost less than a grand is a piece of **** ,the bodys dont resinate ,the necks dont break in properly ,the woods are just crappy mexican crap .also get a "c" neck the other necks are ****.
Gear
Customized crunked out guitar rig
--1971 Fender Princeton (12")
--H.O.G.
3 customized guitars for the rig
--1999 Martin Jm - Seymour Duncan-SHR1-hotrail
--1998 Martin 000-28EC - Dearmond Humbucker
www.bigkingbud.com
Quote by bigkingbud
i have a mexican strat ,i just put "hot noiseless " pickups in it .I hate it ,its a piece of **** !! a strat taht cost less than a grand is a piece of **** ,the bodys dont resinate ,the necks dont break in properly ,the woods are just crappy mexican crap .also get a "c" neck the other necks are ****.

That's ridiculous. i have a powerhouse strat with Lace sensors in it and i don't have a single complaint with it (especially tone wise).

i don't know if you have a bad one or what but with my new pickups my MIM easily ssounds better than a MIA strat.
Quote by azn_guitarist25
whats the strats pickup configuration? and wheres the link of danno pwning someone

pwnage

I wasn't quite pwned, but danno made it clear my opinions were not grounded in reality

EVERYONE VISIT this PAGE ^ and vote!
Gibson SG Standard
Fender 52 RI Telecaster
'77 Deluxe Reverb
Sunface w/ SunDial
MXR Carbon Copy
Crybaby

Quote by Sid McCall

either keep the strat and uprgarde it or buy a us made one, there cracking guitars, whatever you do don't buy a hollowbody tele, there hideous, if you want a hollowbody get a 335.
Quote by bigkingbud

I'm pretty sure the MIM standard Teles come with a "c" neck, you DOn't deserve to own a superreverb, so just pack it up and send it to me
Threadstarter, what amp do you have?

And new pickups might do wonders for the Strat, but if you've got a crappy amp... you know what you need to do instead.
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30