Hi everyone,

A while ago I bought a Dean custom 450 from a friend. It played very very nice and the action was quite low. The guitar had 0.010 strings. The thing I didn't liked about the guitar was that it had a licenced floyd rose. Since I don't really need a whammy bar I took it to a guitar shop to get the bridge fixed (I know you can do this yourself with pieces of wood but I reckoned if it would be done by a proffessional it might have better results). While I was there I also asked if they could properly set up the guitar (I had a hunch it might be possible to make the action even lower). After a really long time (3 weeks!) I got it back but it had 0.009s on it and was set up acordingly. Since 0.009s are 'floppyer' than 0.010s the bridge was set quite high to avoid fret buzz so my guitar plays worse than before I brought it and if I lower the brdige I get fret buzz real easlily. I'm gonna switch back to 0.010 and lower the bridge, but I was wondering if it was also nescesary to ajust the truss rod since that also plays an important role in the playability of a guitar. 0.010s mean more tension on the neck so the neck will bend a bit more, especially if the truss rod is set up for 0.009s. I've already googled for this and I did find a lot of guides on how to ajust the truss rod but I'd like to keep away from that thing if it's not nescesary to adjust it. Thanks in advance!
I would recommend a truss rod adjustment since a higher string gauge will definitely add a lot more tension on the neck.
Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plus '02
Fender Highway One Stratocaster
Roland Jazz Chorus 120
Marshall 5210 Combo Amp
Fender Silverface Champ
A single heightening in string gauge will not affect the neck as much as a .008->.0013 would or other such 2 or more gauge increases.

Hell, I put 12s on my acoustics that were originally were strung with 9s and the necks are fine. The bodies are fine too. Although, I don't recommend this.
Last edited by SuperAnalytical at Jun 26, 2006,
Yeah I know that moving from like 0.009 to 0.013 is a bigger adjustment but if you move from 0.009 to 0.010 is the change in the neck so little that it can be neglected or not?
i dno i did it's not that hard
Quote by Duff_McGee
Masturbate. A lot. Seriously.

<----This is a man
Well if you are are going from .009 to .011 then to .013, then you do need truss rod adjustments, unless you downtune to like drop c
The simple fact is you will NEVER know what your guitar "needs" until you actually do it and see how it responds. I've bounced between .09s and .10s and a couple different mixtures on my electrics and between .11s and .12s on my acoustic and I've never needed to make a truss rod adjustment. All you can do it make the change, see what the guitar does by measuring the relief, and then doing what's necessary. People treat truss rod adjustments like they're this mythical thing, but they aren't. That's silly. If it does require any adjustment, it'll probably be no more than 1/4 turn at the most.
Hi, I'm Peter
Quote by Dirk Gently
The simple fact is you will NEVER know what your guitar "needs" until you actually do it and see how it responds. I've bounced between .09s and .10s and a couple different mixtures on my electrics and between .11s and .12s on my acoustic and I've never needed to make a truss rod adjustment. All you can do it make the change, see what the guitar does by measuring the relief, and then doing what's necessary. People treat truss rod adjustments like they're this mythical thing, but they aren't. That's silly. If it does require any adjustment, it'll probably be no more than 1/4 turn at the most.

^+1 this guy know what he's talking bout
I've just put 0.010 on it and to my amazement (and anger!) the bridge came out again! :|
The shop had my guitar for three f*cking weeks and they didn't even repair it properly. A little inspection showed me that they turned the floyd into a dive-only trem in stead of into a hardtrail like I asked.
haha i would complain, and then just set it up myself. and what do you mean they turned you floyd into a dive only did they make the trem go all the way back
They only blocked it on one side so I can't move the trem up but I can still move it down.
ah, did you ask for that? well atleast they didnt bring your trem all the way back like the guitar the school bought
Whenever you change string gauges, you need a full setup. Simple as that. The truss rod may only need a small tweak, but it does need adjustment for the different tension on the neck.

And hey, people can argue all they want whether it 'needs' to be done or not. Fact is, the fret buzz says it all.
Guitars: Custom Lado Earth 2000-3, Custom ESP Explorer, BC Rich KKV, Gibson LP Studio, Greco SG, El Degas Stratocaster, Agile AL-3000, LTD EX-351

Rig:Marshall JVM410H + Marshall 1960A, Boss Noise Suppressor
Well, guys, I moved from 0.09 to 0.11 and I just added another spinner (now there are 4 spinners) at my Strat's back. It works great, althoug I can not bend more that 3/4 of a tone with my tremolo bar now.
Quote by azn_guitarist25
you mean springs

Yes sorry, I'm half german halg-greek so my english sucks. Besides that, spinner means idiot in german!!

I don't see the real point in messing with the truss rod. I would just let it be. Sometimes I think people just add too much to do for the simpler things.
Quote by azn_guitarist25
sweet i want 4 idiots in the back aswell

Alright, so now you just need 3 more to join me...
Hi, I'm Peter
nice. But why does Danno get excluded? Nevermind, he doesn't have to be back with the idiots, he's the nut all by himself.
Hi, I'm Peter
yep now we need 6 tuning pegs and a trem claw and 3 pots and a 5 way switch and a bridge and 6 strings and a body and a neck and some frets and a pickguard
Quote by L19L91L
I don't see the real point in messing with the truss rod. I would just let it be. Sometimes I think people just add too much to do for the simpler things.

Not adjusting your truss rod with a string gauge change is like having new tires put on your rims, but not bothering to balance them. Yeah, you can still drive your car with the old setup, but it won't be ideal.

Don't dismiss truss rod adjustments. They're not as unimportant as you seem to believe.
Guitars: Custom Lado Earth 2000-3, Custom ESP Explorer, BC Rich KKV, Gibson LP Studio, Greco SG, El Degas Stratocaster, Agile AL-3000, LTD EX-351

Rig:Marshall JVM410H + Marshall 1960A, Boss Noise Suppressor
Ok so I complaind at the shop that they turned the bridge into a dive-only instead of a hardtail like I had asked and I complaind about the fact that they put 0.009s on it instead of the 0.010s I told them I used. Anyway the guy behind the counter understood me and they will fix it some time this week. Hopefully the guitar will get the low action back that it had before.
Quote by Crunchmeister
Not adjusting your truss rod with a string gauge change is like having new tires put on your rims, but not bothering to balance them. Yeah, you can still drive your car with the old setup, but it won't be ideal.

Don't dismiss truss rod adjustments. They're not as unimportant as you seem to believe.

That analogy doesn't really work. If you like the way it feels and there's no
buzz or fretting out after a guage change, why would you need to adjust the
truss rod?

As an example, my L5S came strung with 13's. I changed them to 10's thinking
I'd probably need to tweak the rod. But after I changed them and set the
intonation, I had a guitar with about the lowest action I've ever played and no
buzz or fret outs. So, why would I want to adjust the rod? Perhaps the guy
who owned it before me (who I think was Fareed Haque, a well-known Jazz
player), liked more relief than I do and kept it loose for his 13s. Who knows?
Anyway, I liked the result so I that's the way I left it.
If you like the way your cars drives after a change of tires then you can leave it at that, but most of the times you won't like the way the car drives just like you won't like the increased action/ increased fretbuzz that changes to a higher/lower gauge strings creates.
Quote by Dardarian
If you like the way your cars drives after a change of tires then you can leave it at that, but most of the times you won't like the way the car drives just like you won't like the increased action/ increased fretbuzz that changes to a higher/lower gauge strings creates.

You're taking this metaphor to the extreme. Just go with what edg said. If your guitar needs adjustment, you won't know to what degree until after you've made your change anyway.
Hi, I'm Peter
The guy from the shop is working on it but he called me to say the action probably won't be as low as it used to be because the bridge is fixed. (even when the trussrod and action are properly set). I never knew that fixing a bridge could make the low action I had impossible to reach, so if it's still hard to play I might just let 'em make it float again and live with the fact that I have licenced floyd rose cause their not really thát hard to restring and stuff. Thanks for al the replys btw.