im always hearing about you guys practicing for so long everyday but i just cant get myself to practice very long. what can i do to get myself to practice more?
Quote by Soma3009
I came up with this kick ass riff on my ukelele when I was 12. Find out two years later, it was smoke on the water. Got my hopes and dreams killed..

Quote by saintjimmy99
you used the right form of "their!" i commend you sir!

Dig deep and suck it up. You must want it!!!! Only if you REALLY want to improve will you dedicate yourself to whatever it takes. This goes for all things, not just guitar.
I d Have to agree with HavoCrus, but c'mon we better let him knwo the main reason we play so much, its cuz you can get chicks, YOU CAN GET CHICKS IF YOUR GOOD! there i said itthats why just think about all the Gals you'll have all over you and you'll practice
dont make practicng uncomfortable. play for thirty minutes, do something, then comeback and play some more. it has worked for me. and if you plan on ever playing gigs, practice standing up
Motley Crue 2/11/06!
Motley Crue/Aerosmith 11/21/06!
Sanctity/BLS 3/12/07!
Bleeding Through/Slayer/Manson-7/25/07!
A7x/Operator/the Confession/Black Tide 11/25/07!
Van Halen 2/12/07!
Quote by HaKattack
No, I wouldn't. My bear's penis is off limits.
Because we are all guitar geeks..Just start learning new stuff and you will want to get better at it so youll spend more time playing so you get it down...Start looking up tabs to stuff you really want to play and it will keep you wanting to play more...And try and put playing guitar into yor daily lifestyle like wake up eat breakfast play some... whatever you gotta do.....eat lunch , play guitar.....,take a shower , play guitar,go to bed.
Quote by wind88
Sorry for my ignorance. I apologize.

People who dont suck:
epacers7
jj1565

I am a proud member of the Anti Anti Drug Foundation
yeah if you want to play you should enjoy it and want to play for a while
learn stuff you like...my first attempt at guitar my teacher only let me play beatles because they were his favorite band and i do not really like them (even though i fully recognize their contribution to music), so i quit. you have to have that drive.
I dont know. Just jam along with a CD of your favorite bands. Try to find songs that have different techniques and try to learn them. That way, your learning techniques and kickass riffs at the same time
Don't feed yourself untill you practice for an hour straight lol jk
“It's easy to play any musical instrument: all you have to do is touch the right key at the right time and the instrument will play itself.” - Bach
find something you like to play, then practice it, i suggest getting into improvision cause its something you can always practice and improve one, and once you'v gotten good, then u can make your own music, show off and get laid, its what i do, i have yet to complete the getting laid part yet, but well im working on it.
Quote by Scutchington
I like this guy, he's UG's Greek, and he just told your ass in two paragraphs. And I once spent 5 minutes watching his avatar.

A Brain Malfunction

We'll Never Admit As Defeat
GET NEW MATERIAL.

The best way. Ever. It sounds to me like you've hit a "plateau." You're bored with practicing, so you don't practice as much.

What you need is new material. Try songs that aren't in your conventional genre. I was in your same position up until a couple days ago. I went and got new music tabs, started learning them, and in just a few days I've learned a lot. A hell of a lot more than I have in the past month or so.

Vary what you play and you'll learn faster. Also, pick stuff you like to listen to. If you don't like listening to a song, you aren't going to want to sit and practice it over and over until it's memorized.
My Gear:

Washburn WI14 Electric
Washburn D10s Acoustic
Marshall MG100HDFXR Special Edition
Marshall MG412AR Special Edition

Quote by Danno13
^Xenn is my favorite MG owner EVAR.

Quote by jj1565
^ Xenn fav MG user evar
what I do is sit down, work on some stuff my teacher gave me for about 15 minutes, then put on a song I like, and just improvise with it, whether your in the right key, scale, anything, just play. Youll get a natural feel towards it. Then when your really enjoying the practice session, start doing the boring stuff, when your about to stop because of the boring stuff, jam some more. Just alternate
Quote by gnarly_
.....eat lunch , play guitar.....,take a shower , play guitar,go to bed.

do u go to bed at like 4:30 or something?
Quote by Allnightmask22
It's like an internet "_____ Name Generator." Close family member + crude name for genitals + compromising sexual scenario + embarrassing or unknown sexual state (IE: Bestiality, incest, necrophilia) = Insult Gold.
whenever you're sitting around, just sit around but with the guitar. if you are watching tv, do it with a guitar on your lap. surfing the web? do it with the guitar on your lap.
Quote by havocrus
Dig deep and suck it up. You must want it!!!! Only if you REALLY want to improve will you dedicate yourself to whatever it takes. This goes for all things, not just guitar.

Agreed. It's not like all of us sit down and enjoy practicing the hard and boring stuff (some do), but if you want to be better than you are, you have to. It's like lifting weights for football, you might not like it (or you might) but its worth it in the end.

Also, try new things. Yesterday I began practicing sweep picking and did it for 6 hours straight and had fun.
ok, well what are some good exercises i can use to get more fluid and faster,other than the basic 1234 on every string one? and i know i should do it with a metronome but how long should i do it for? cause if i do it too little i wont progress as fast. but if i do it too long i might strain my fingers
Quote by Soma3009
I came up with this kick ass riff on my ukelele when I was 12. Find out two years later, it was smoke on the water. Got my hopes and dreams killed..

Quote by saintjimmy99

anyone?
Quote by Soma3009

Quote by saintjimmy99

focus. think of why your playing guitar in the first place. and just have fun while playing. if your not having fun, then your not doing it right.

EDIT: i didnt read your question with the metronome thing and whatever. so heres my answer to that.
you dont HAVE to do that stuff. would it help? yeah. but you dont have to.
... just simply... PLAY guitar. play anyhting. it doesnt matter. just play. play one of your favorite songs are whatever. it might all be made of power chords, but it doesnt matter. just PLAY. the more you play, the more your fingers are used to the stretching, and the positions of all the strings, your coordination, and your reflexes (which is how fast you will go), everything!
just play. and if you REALLY want to get faster, just go with the metronome. theres basically no fun way to get faster....

^^and if you think im full of **** then have fun with your little 1-2-3-4 and metronome.
the
music and soul of love and hope and light manifesting in our minds, trapping whats left of us in our hearts.
where theres nowhere to go.

Quote by I_Pwn
Ostin, you are the pwnzorz and my new hero for that flame.

and this is a guy who's name is "i pwn"
Last edited by Ostin at Jun 28, 2006,