So I've decided i'm gonna build a bass distortion pedal and I was thinking of using tubes but is there anything i should consider when doing this? Also what is the best type of tube to use?
EH

"Show me war; show me pestilence; show me the blood-red hands of retribution..."
Last edited by eddiehimself at Jun 26, 2006,
it would be hard to do and you could die doing it. what kind of sound do you want?
Quote by R_H_C_P
^Oh my God! You're the first person to actually notice that link! A pringle to you my friend!

My Surf-o-Strat Project
Is that a joke? And I think it's pretty obvious I want a good sound.

I don't really care If I die, either
EH

"Show me war; show me pestilence; show me the blood-red hands of retribution..."
no, its not a joke, tube pedals operate at around 240 plate volts, plenty more than enough to fry your ass....

i know you want a good sound but how much gain do u want in this pedal

i woudl reccomend a 12AU7 or 12AT7 depending on your answer
Quote by R_H_C_P
^Oh my God! You're the first person to actually notice that link! A pringle to you my friend!

My Surf-o-Strat Project
I think he meant more specificaly, metal destortion or something like that, how much destortion do you want.
Fender Highway One Stratocaster
Seagull S6+Cedar
Yamaha Pacifica
Epiphone Valve Special
Boss OD-3
Boss DS-1
Dunlop Jimi Hendrix Wah
I want a lot of distortion. Btw I know what type of risks there are. I just thaught it was funny you say I could die then you ask what sound I want.
EH

alright then 12AU7 would be your best bet.....maybe look at some schematics for the vox cooltron pedals to get some ideas, those would help a lot
Quote by R_H_C_P

My Surf-o-Strat Project
Thanks man!
EH

it's actually alot harder to make tube pedals, since the power transformers you need aren't readily available. Look at the Real McTube II for an example of a tube overdrive pedal.
For a transformer, get an EH toroidal. The dude at www.diystompboxes.com sells them and he's a good guy.
I'm not very active here on UG currently.
I'm a retired Supermod off to the greener pastures of the real world.
Quote by That_Pink_Queen
For a transformer, get an EH toroidal. The dude at www.diystompboxes.com sells them and he's a good guy.

You might as well stick around on that site for any more questions you have regarding stuff if you plan on designing this yourself.

There is a guitar based overdrive with a tube in it on I can't remember what site (the Shaka Tube circuit)
diyguitarist.com
PM me with talkbox questions.

A study shows that 92% of all teenagers have moved on to rap music. Put this in your profile if you are one of the 8% who stayed with the real music