can you explain the difference between the 2, everyone says that passove are bad, but alexi laiho's signature come with one passive emg, and also explain how the battery in the actives work
Quote by ias05
can you explain the difference between the 2, everyone says that passove are bad, but alexi laiho's signature come with one passive emg, and also explain how the battery in the actives work

Most "signature" guitars are just marketing bullshit...one of the Kirk Hammett "signature" guitars comes with passive EMGs too. Alexi whoever probably uses actives.

Personally, I think they're both awful - the passives have bad tone all around, and the actives have excessively high gain and sound extremely nasally and sterile clean.

I think the battery powers a small preamp in the pickup, which amplifies the output of the signal before it's sent through the cable to the preamp in the amplifier.
i think emgs have a great clean,passive sounds good, but the active have a higher gain for more distortion take...but its all based on opinnion on the tone...personally i like emgs..they work and sound fine..
What new friends will the day bring?

Private in the 7>6

[Member of the Ibanez S Players.] PM Striketalonx to join
Alexi Laiho has a weird taste and loves the passive emgs.
Tunes, gear and other random stuff can be found in my "UG" profile if you click my name
in the case of EMGs passive emgs were made as budget pickups for cheaper guitars or cheaper upgrades, the active range are EMGs mainline range and where they develop most of there stuff. i would ignore alexi laihos sig for now as hes kind of overshadowed by the ton of higher reputation people that use them such as dave gilmour, zakk wylde, metallica, kerry king, and so on. and last of all try them for yourself and compare. in active pickups they use an active preamp (hence the name) (active meaning its powered i.e. a battery) to push the signal to the amp which means ther is a boost in output and to a degree an improvement in tone and it means it is also nearly totally silent. in passives the signal isn't being pushed through to the amp and so is a lower output and has more hum.

Personally, i find my EMG's to do ther job well but without any character of ther own, too drab compared to other high end passive pickups. They will do any job though i give em that whether its clean or full on.

P.S. i'm switching to Dimarzios soon.
Fender American Deluxe Ash Stratocaster (2000)
Fender Classic Player 60's Stratocaster
Marshall JCM900 100w head & 4x12 cab

Korg DT-10 Tuner; Boss DD-3 Digital Delay; Jim Dunlop JH-1B Wah; Boss RT-20 Rotary Ensemble; MXR EVH Phase 90.
Last edited by ArcherTheVMan at Jun 26, 2006,
You can't argue that they sound great how he uses them...

and besides that pickup, that's basically what my sig guitar would be

just with an 81
I'm not racist.

I hate everyone the same.

For EMGs, you would be better getting actives. They have a better sound, and I think they are built better (for metal anyway). I think the battery increases the output of the guitar, and gives it a 'hotter' sound. And btw, Alexi only uses passives because he has an onboard gain boost on the guitars that he uses, and if you hooked a gain boost up to an active pickup, you would pretty much just get a ton of feedback. (This is what his explanation was in Guitar World)