What is the difference between the two of them? and witch is better? can you recomond any?
Left Jab, Right hook, Then I knocked him out I hate player haters so I pissed in his mouth
basically

OD = put it in front of a tube amp

Distortion pedal = put it in front of an SS amp

unless it's a boss ds-1, thats classified as a OD because its so weak
Quote by yorkshireterror
Dunlop's got the right idea
Oh yeah, only took me a few months
Founder of the "I Support Robert Keeley Mods," if you like them too, put this in your sig!

i <3 breakdowns
Quote by DunlopGuy
basically

OD = put it in front of a tube amp

Distortion pedal = put it in front of an SS amp

unless it's a boss ds-1, thats classified as a OD because its so weak

what does Boss MetalZone count as?
^ Uh that doesn't really make any sense. I can understand the overdrives being used in front of tube amps, but distortion for solid state only? wtf

Overdrive pedals usually only add a little bit of gain, either to give a little boost to the clean channel for some dirt or used on a gain channel to get more gain than the amp is capable of.

Distortion pedals usually have quite a bit more gain and are usually used in front of the clean channel to provide a mid-high gain tone. You can use them for solid state amps, but I've seen them used alot in front of amps that don't really have a distortion channel (ie Twin Reverb). I used to use some Boss double distortion pedal to get high gain tones on my twin.
clips
Gear
  • Framus Cobra Head
  • Peavey 5150 Head
  • Marshall MF280 4x12 Cab
  • PRS Custom 24 w/ 3-Way/Coil Tap
  • Ibanez RGT220A w/ EMG 85 Neck/81 Bridge
  • Rack w/ BBE 482i, Hush Super C, and Furman
Quote by JimiMan1535
^ Uh that doesn't really make any sense. I can understand the overdrives being used in front of tube amps, but distortion for solid state only? wtf

Overdrive pedals usually only add a little bit of gain, either to give a little boost to the clean channel for some dirt or used on a gain channel to get more gain than the amp is capable of.

Distortion pedals usually have quite a bit more gain and are usually used in front of the clean channel to provide a mid-high gain tone. You can use them for solid state amps, but I've seen them used alot in front of amps that don't really have a distortion channel (ie Twin Reverb). I used to use some Boss double distortion pedal to get high gain tones on my twin.

overdrives in front of SS amps don't really have enough bite to be noticed, IMO. distortion pedals suck tone out of a tube amp, IMO. the metal zone is a distortion pedal
Quote by yorkshireterror
Founder of the "I Support Robert Keeley Mods," if you like them too, put this in your sig!

i <3 breakdowns
^ I use my OD-3 on my Cube with level about 3 o'clock and gain about 9 o'clock and I love the sound I get. I put it over a clean amp model with a bit of gain already dialed in.
- Gibson Les Paul Studio
- Squier Standard Strat
- Roland Cube 60
- Visual Sound Jekyll & Hyde
- Boss OD-3
- Behringer EQ700
^^ Well that isnt entirley true .... theres a long list of guitarists that use disortion pedals with their tube amps, steve vai and john frusciante being two examples.
Gear
PRS Standard SE
Laney GH100L with Marhsall 1960BV
Digitech Bad monkey
Marshall EH1
EHX Small stone
EHX Small clone
Quote by StuC
^^ Well that isnt entirley true .... theres a long list of guitarists that use disortion pedals with their tube amps, steve vai and john frusciante being two examples.

doesn't steve vai use the DS-1 which has lower gain or something than most distortion pedals? matter of fact, i think it's a keeley modded pedal
Quote by yorkshireterror

i <3 breakdowns
DS-1 is still a distortion pedal. Hell they don't call it DISTORTION-ONE for nothing...

And the Steve, Zakk, Satch etc used to use the old Japanese made DS-1s from the 70s and early 80s, because they sounded much better than the Taiwanese ones , which used cheaper parts etc. Now Keeley mods them to nearly those specs and adds a switch for more gain. And a good pedal won't suck your tone, it's when you use your Metal Zones and Metal Masters etc that they suck your tone, because of terrible components (PCB, pots, wiring, chips etc.)
clips
Gear
  • Framus Cobra Head
  • Peavey 5150 Head
  • Marshall MF280 4x12 Cab
  • PRS Custom 24 w/ 3-Way/Coil Tap
  • Ibanez RGT220A w/ EMG 85 Neck/81 Bridge
  • Rack w/ BBE 482i, Hush Super C, and Furman